SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Polarized? Glasses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polarized? Glasses Login/Join 
posted
I remember when they first came out with polarized glasses. The idea was really cool. As I recall the principle, glare off of cars on the highway consisted of the light travelling horizontally and the polarized glasses were like vertical venetian blinds blocking the glare. You could turn your glasses 90 degrees and the glare would reappear. I just bought a pair of "polarized" Ray Bans and I still see glare. Turning them 90 degrees seems to show no difference. I have noticed the same thing on other cheaper drug store "polarized" glasses but expected Ray Bans at $200 to be the real deal but I'm so far unimpressed.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Ray-Ban New Wayfarers that are polarized. When I tilt my head, they do change the amount of glare (but don't completely eliminate it). And also the color of the sky. Same with my Costas (several pairs, for fishing different waters/targeted species). Even my cheap $39 prescription sunglasses I ordered online with polarized, reflective lenses do this.

Do your RayBan lenses have the "RayBan-P" on them? I think that is how they designate the lenses are indeed polarized.

Posts: 55 | Registered: July 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, they do have the "P" . I bought them at Cabelas. I had a $200 gift certificate and they didn't have any guns to use it on Smile

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Test it not just w/ reflected sunlight off a horizontal surface (which generally should be sufficient) but perhaps against other known polarized sources - LCD displays (car radio, clock, home lcd clocks), perhaps lcd computer monitor. Or other known polarized glasses.

Not also that, as I discovered recently, lens color leads to different polarization efficacy. Neutral gray is highest level of polarization, yellow is weakest (non-observable).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
My eyes are terribly sensitive to bright sunlight. I’ve always made sure the sunglasses I get are polarized. I usually buy Wiley X or Oakley glasses. Seems to make a difference for me

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'd check them against an LCD screen like konata88 said. Maybe they are defective.

I had a pair of polarized prescription sunglasses and one lens was wrong. When I the glasses up to an LCD display and turned them, the display would blank out at 90 degrees in one lens, but the other would blank out at 115 degrees. I took them back and had the lens remade.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post