SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    We need a new motor vehicle law
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We need a new motor vehicle law Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Twice in the past week I have been nearly run off the road (today, my passenger side tires were in the ditch to avoid a head-on collision) by distracted drivers.

I propose a new mandate that all vehicles manufactured in the US and those imported have installed in them a cell phone blocker that activates when the ignition is turned on. Any previously domestically manufactured or imported vehicles must have an after-market cell phone blocker installed prior to being registered for the next year. This law will go into effect immediately.

Anyone found disabling or removing said blockers shall be punished by conviction of a felony and five years in prison.

No exceptions. No excuses.

Yes, I predict we'll hear the whining, crying, and gnashing of teeth, and the inevitable, "but, but, but...what if I have an emergency!?"

My response? "I don't care!"

I'm done. I'm sick of this shit. I hate cell phones and what they do to people with a frickin' passion. Mad

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Yes, let's put it up there with more gun control laws. Razz

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Penalties for texting while driving should be no less than those imposed for DUIs.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Did you come up with this idea while you were taking a sawzall to your AR?

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Try as I might, I'll be damned if I can find any Constitutional protections for cell phones.

Apple. Oranges.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If that law were to go into effect, I wouldn't be able to stream music while driving for work. It'd be torture! I vote no on your proposition.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
How about they simply enforce the existing penalties for distracted driving? Sound familiar?

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase a 911 operator, I ain't got time for this, for real!

Sadly we are dealing with a portion of the population that doesn't care. Laws are not a deterrent for them.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Maybe they were distracted by that big sky?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
Penalties for texting while driving should be no less than those imposed for DUIs.

I think towing and impounding a car would work. You'd think people would learn after only one time. I've never had a car towed and impounded but I understand it's quite pricey.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Try as I might, I'll be damned if I can find any Constitutional protections for cell phones.

Apple. Oranges.

Funny, I don’t think driving is in there either. Maybe you should just stay home if other peoples freedom frightens you so badly.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All cars come with cell phone jammers

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If it saves one life.....

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Why not pass a law that requires your cell phone to drive your car for you?

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
How about making distracted driving a 12 point violation?

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we need more laws. Maybe one prohibiting imbeciles from reproducing.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
If it saves one life.....

Yup.

Ban alcohol, tobacco, and sugary foods - because obesity kills.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
No no no. You're going about it all backwards.

We need a law requiring companies to produce only self-driving fully autonomous cars from 2019 forward. Then folks can text and watch movies all they want. James Taggart can manage the implementation.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
It seems we could just pass a law preventing you from driving. That would solve your issue without causing unnecessary restriction on everyone else.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Wow! Everybody pushing back against a suggestion for one little law.

Why, you'd think it was a proposal to infringe . . . Uh, wait a second while I think about that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post