SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    UPS rates
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPS rates Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Today I sent a 2 lb package with $200 in additional insurance from Halifax,Va to Grand Valley, Pa.

Sending a pistol to be plated.

Total costs $29.95. !!

Boy, the drivers must have gotten a nice raise, I sent a similar package to CCR last fall, aditional insurance for $500 for about $17.

What happened?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Just checked and it would've been $19.95 with Shipmygun.com

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

I did not know of this service, there is a FFL I have dealt with before, 8 miles away that utilizes SMG.

Thank you for alerting me.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I read the website correct, that is the price with one of their preffered dealers. They show a lot of dealers, including one that I have used in the past, but they do not show a preferred dealer within 100 miles of Orlando.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three factors that may have been involved;
1) Insurance is not economical. It is almost a scam as profit margins are astronomical.
2) UPS rates are based on size & weight. If you use a oversize box you will pay for "calculated weight" not actual weight.
3) Never use a UPS Store. Get your own account or go to a real UPS distribution center.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
If I read the website correct, that is the price with one of their preffered dealers. They show a lot of dealers, including one that I have used in the past, but they do not show a preferred dealer within 100 miles of Orlando.
I’ve only shipped a rifle but in my experience you’re reading the website wrong. Preferred dealer only sped up shipping.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I’ve only shipped a rifle but in my experience you’re reading the website wrong. Preferred dealer only sped up shipping.
You might be correct. However, one of the dealers that shows up near my area (Shoot Straight) quoted me a LOT more than the ShipMyGun price of $19.95. Another one on that list is the Pawn Shop Guy who I normally use, as he gives good service and his price for shipping is the lowest that I have found near me, but he still charges more than the ShipMyGun website's $19.95.

OK, reading the ShipMyGun website again, it is not really clear what they are charging. It looks like the "label" cost is $19.95 and the FFL is evidently free to add his / her charges. If I am correct about that, I can go directly to the USPS website and print my own "if it fits, it ships" Priority Mail flat rate label for less than $19.95. This is what I have done in the past: pack the handgun in a flat rate Priority Mail box, do not seal it, print my own shipping label, and hand everything over to the FFL Pawn Shop Guy. He does whatever paperwork he needs to do, seals the box, and hands it over to his mail carrier. I pay him a fee to do this. It all adds up to significantly less than FedEx or UPS shipping cost, and Pawn Shop Guy is a lot easier to deal with, since he actually knows what he is doing (as opposed to the worker bees at FedEx or UPS, who usually know nothing about the rules for shipping firearms).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Today I sent a 2 lb package with $200 in additional insurance from Halifax,Va to Grand Valley, Pa.

Sending a pistol to be plated.

Total costs $29.95. !!

More than likely, "dim weight", or dimensional weight, which Anush mentions. They have a chart that "shows" how much a box of a given size should weigh, and they charge you that rate after measuring your package. Unless the actual weight exceeds the dim weight. If you send a toothbrush in a large box, you will pay out the wazoo because you will pay what their chart says a box that size "should" weigh.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also had not heard of these guys. Very cool. 5 preferred dealer within 5 miles of me.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
rates for all the carriers seems to vary by distance from a hub as well,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
The dimensions for the package I sent were very compact, maybe 10"l x 4"w x 4" h.

This isn't a UPS hub, its a store at a hardware/FFL shop, I went thete to pick up and do a transfer of a pistol I purchased, so figured I would also ship the parts to be plated.

Some of the other UPS shipping points local, however prohibit shipping firearms, this one being an FFL doesn't.

美しい犬

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
The dimensions for the package I sent were very compact, maybe 10"l x 4"w x 4" h.

This isn't a UPS hub, its a store at a hardware/FFL shop, I went thete to pick up and do a transfer of a pistol I purchased, so figured I would also ship the parts to be plated.

Some of the other UPS shipping points local, however prohibit shipping firearms, this one being an FFL doesn't.
Let's review the options:
  • An FFL is permitted to use USPS, so Priority Mail is one option, provided that you do it through an FFL. The actual shipping cost is low, "if it ships, it fits," you can add insurance as required, you can prepare and print a pre-paid shipping label at the USPS website and use a credit card to pay for it, and present the whole ball of wax to your FFL, who will probably impose additional cost for her / his services. The amount of the FFL cost will determine whether this is a good option.

• If you are shipping to an FFL, you can do it yourself with no FFL involved on your end. USPS is not a legal option in this case, you must use a carrier like FedEx or UPS. There is no legal requirement for you to use the expensive overnight service, nor to specify exactly what is in the package -- these "requirements" are carrier policy, not law. I know people who have made shipments via FedEx or UPS ground service or second-day air, and if questioned about the contents, replied "machine parts." Shipping labels can be prepared, printed and paid for via credit card, at the carrier websites, and sealed boxes can then be handed over to any hub, UPS or FedEx store, etc. This meets all LEGAL requirements, but does not necessarily comply with the carrier policy. Should never be a problem unless maybe one arises in conjunction with an insurance claim.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:

• If you are shipping to an FFL, you can do it yourself with no FFL involved on your end. USPS is not a legal option in this case, you must use a carrier like FedEx or UPS. There is no legal requirement for you to use the expensive overnight service, nor to specify exactly what is in the package -- these "requirements" are carrier policy, not law. I know people who have made shipments via FedEx or UPS ground service or second-day air, and if questioned about the contents, replied "machine parts." Shipping labels can be prepared, printed and paid for via credit card, at the carrier websites, and sealed boxes can then be handed over to any hub, UPS or FedEx store, etc. This meets all LEGAL requirements, but does not necessarily comply with the carrier policy. Should never be a problem unless maybe one arises in conjunction with an insurance claim.[/LIST]

• You are correct that there is no legal requirement to ship a firearm overnight for common carriers (UPS, FedEX, Etc).
    UPS started the overnight BS with the excuse that it would reduce theft by their own employees.
    FedEx followed UPS' lead but it seems apparent this is primarily meant to impact the greatest inconvenience and maximum expense to private firearm owners.
    Otherwise, why would two day shipping (at reduced expense) be available to manufacturers (for example).

On the legal aspect of not reporting what is being shipped by common carrier, I offer the following (emphasis added - quoted from the ATF website);

"May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]"

Link
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...-or-contract-carrier

Do not want anyone to get into trouble shipping "machine parts".

-----------------------------------
    Regards, Steve
    The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post