SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Headlights, Highbeams, DRLs & Forcefields
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headlights, Highbeams, DRLs & Forcefields Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

And for all their smarts, none of the manufacturers can figure out that it would be nice to turn the danged DRLs off when the regular headlights are turned on. Grr.
Confused Do not understand what you are saying.

Both vehicles that I drive regularly, GMC 3500 truck and Ford Edge, the DRLs are the headlights, so it makes no sense to turn DRLs off with headlights on.

I’m missing something in your post.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30652 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good morning.

Jeep's new-style Cherokee is an example.

The DRLs are on top, the regular headlights are in the middle, and the fogs are on the bottom. This leads to having three pairs of really bright lights in your face when approaching one of these vehicles at night.

(Side rant: years ago, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard said that there could be no more than four forward-facing running lights on at a time -- remember the old quad-beam halogen lamp setups, where the high-beams would go out if you turned on the fogs? Perhaps the standard has changed or the DRLs somehow get around that.)

How about Cadillac, with TWO rows of obnoxiously bright DRLs per side, that don't dim or get turned off when the headlights come on?

Dodge, with its wraparound DRLs, plus LED fogs, plus headlights?

Headlight technology has advanced tremendously in the past few years, and "regular" headlights are far brighter than the old-school sealed-beam devices. Good for drivers! Not as good, perhaps, for oncoming drivers. Combine those advances with super-bright LED DRLs, and turn them on at the same time (don't forget the LED fogs, too!) and it's just plain obnoxious.

My point is simply that I'd like it if the DRLs would go out (or at least dim significantly) when the headlights are turned on. Or, maybe the DRLs could be amber instead of white... their intent is conspicuity -- not illumination -- right? Amber was pretty common for DRLs not long ago (GM pickups, Toyota 4Runner, etc) -- let's go back to that.

(Second side rant: in all the states I'm familiar with, motorcyclists are required to run their headlights. Why? To make them easier for others to see. Now, in this sea of DRLs, motorcyclists have lost that advantage.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Ah, now I see what you're talking about with respect to DRLs. Recently, I had not done enough driving at night to really notice, but your photos clarified for me.

Regarding motorcycles, last time I looked, the requirement was for a white light visible for a specified distance, I forget what it was, but I think something like 500' or 1,000', although many enforcement officers erroneously interpret this as a headlight requirement. My BMW had a light in the fairing that was sort of like a DRL, that satisfied this requirement, but I did get stopped by a motorcycle cop who lectured me about "the headlight law." I thought that it was better to just turn headlight on, rather than debate with her.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30652 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
RE the Chargers above, their DRL halos are bright enough to sub for headlights. Not sure if that's a mod, but I see it a lot.
Similar with the newer BMWs.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15293 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
your photos clarified for me.

I"m glad that helped. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
RE the Chargers above, their DRL halos are bright enough to sub for headlights. Not sure if that's a mod, but I see it a lot.
Similar with the newer BMWs.

It's true... most of the LED DRLs now seem bright enough to be headlights. I believe that's at least part of why we continue to see people who don't turn on their headlights when they need to -- the DRLs are lighting things ahead and they just don't think about actually turning on the headlights (and taillights).

More and more vehicles, it seems, are doing this halo/wraparound thing (Grand Cherokee, Audi, Land Rover, to name a few). From a styling standpoint, it's pretty neat. From a functional standpoint -- as in, when I'm driving toward that mess -- I'm not so much of a fan. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
My problem is that I get older I’m having a harder time seeing at night and it seems to me that pick up trucks in particular have lousy headlights.

My wife’s Grand Cherokee with the LED headlights are fantastic but my F-350 light look like candles compared to hers..you spend 60K for a truck that has snotty lights in this day and age is ridiculous!

I ended up buying a 30” Baja Design lightbar to go in the grill of my truck and God save the poor SOB who doesn’t turn their high beams off when we approach each Other!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6312 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
and God save the poor SOB who doesn’t turn their high beams off when we approach each Other!

... and the trees you both run into 'cause ya blinded each other! Razz Big Grin

God bless America.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Edited the Subject to reflect this morning's commute.

Mad

TS/TD Imelda is giving its deluge to Houston today.

Goes in bands of very light rain to about 50-75yds visibility.

The usual bozos running along with no lights on in their silver & gray cars, practically invisible.

Then the forcefield drivers with their hazard lights on.
Sorry, if you can do the speed limit & keep with the flow of traffic, it's much more of an annoyance & actual hazard (glare) to be running down the road with your hazard lights on.
If it's so bad that you feel unsafe & need your flashers on, pull your ass over & wait it out.

Biggest downside to the forcefield drivers, is there's no way to 'flash' them to get them to stop it; unlike the ghost & highbeam folks.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15293 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post