SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Flag at half staff
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flag at half staff Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted
Governor Kasich ordered flags at half staff to honor the bank shooting victims in Cincinnati today. I think this is an honor that should be reserved for military, government leaders, first responders and other "heroes". It's not for random unfortunate victims. Just my thought for what it's worth.

I'm not completely useless. I can be used as a bad example.

Posts: 3331 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
If we drop our flag for every victim, We all only need to buy the bottom half of our flagpoles.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
Liberalism is a failure to find pathways to intelligence in your brain. - David Lawrence

Posts: 1420 | Location: Kalispell Montana & Florida’s Emerald Coast for the Winter | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Why? Because, race gun!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Posts: 38108 | Location: fl | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I think this is an honor that should be reserved for military, government leaders, first responders and other "heroes". It's not for random unfortunate victims.

And the US flag code agrees with you. 4 U.S. Code § 7, subsection 'm':

"(m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the death of a member of the Armed Forces from any State, territory, or possession who dies while serving on active duty, or the death of a first responder working in any State, territory, or possession who dies while serving in the line of duty, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff, and the same authority is provided to the Mayor of the District of Columbia with respect to present or former officials of the District of Columbia, members of the Armed Forces from the District of Columbia, and first responders working in the District of Columbia. When the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, or the Mayor of the District of Columbia, issues a proclamation under the preceding sentence that the National flag be flown at half-staff in that State, territory, or possession or in the District of Columbia because of the death of a member of the Armed Forces, the National flag flown at any Federal installation or facility in the area covered by that proclamation shall be flown at half-staff consistent with that proclamation. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day."

This does not include victims of shootings, entertainers, etc. Obama walked all over the code with his proclamations. Mad

Before reading this, I had forgotten the part where the flag should be flown at half staff only until noon on Memorial Day, and then raised to full staff.

Posts: 8175 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
I arrived at a local business, on the KY side of the river across from Cincinnati, this morning when the custodian was raising the flag - to 1/2 staff. I asked him who told him to do that - in a friendly way. First he asked me if I was the flag police. Then after I was at the entry door he called out "it's the right thing to do".

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 723 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hi-power man:
I arrived at a local business, on the KY side of the river across from Cincinnati, this morning when the custodian was raising the flag - to 1/2 staff. I asked him who told him to do that - in a friendly way. First he asked me if I was the flag police. Then after I was at the entry door he called out "it's the right thing to do".

These twits always think because THEY think it's the right thing to do that it must be so.
Lack of critical thinking, maybe he should run for congress.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 769 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of our gov., but maybe he could have just lowered the OHIO state flag, but I think this is just a political attention grabber.
When you got nothin' else you make dipshit moves like this.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2232 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Kasich
McCain Flake or Flake McCain
Strzok
Mark Sanford
Big Jim Comey
Hillary
Jr Senator from Illannoy

Can we fly the flag at 3/4 staff in honor of narcissistic personality disorder?

"Sometimes the clothes do not make the man"

Posts: 4683 | Location: SC - along the PSA wagon trail | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Not a fan of our gov., but maybe he could have just lowered the OHIO state flag, but I think this is just a political attention grabber.
When you got nothin' else you make dipshit moves like this.

Me either. I also don't like the fact that I'm probably going to vote for DeWine.

Posts: 3331 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Flags should be at half staff permanently in Chicago.

Posts: 16083 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The military hospital I worked at would lower the flag when a veteran passed away. Problem was, most of the time the flag stayed at half mast.
These days the flag gets lowered for just about any reason. It’s starts to lose its impact.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
― Samuel Adams

Posts: 5251 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The Flag code is apparently a living document, like our Constitution and Bill of rights. ( Roll Eyes ).

I propose that it should be understood to mean that Old Glory should be flown at half mast during the year, and raised to full mast on major holidays.

This will simplify decisions and make our lives much easier.

Posts: 9770 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Probably should be flying upside down in the windy.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
This has been one of my pet peeves for years. There is a U.S. flag visible from my windows and I frequently look outside to check the weather and I'm disappointed at just how often the U.S. flag is at half mast. I often find myself scrambling to think of what tragedy was recently reported in the news and if I can't come up with one I turn on the news just to see if I can figure out why the flag is at half mast.

Not in any way to detract from the memory of those lost to accidents or violence but there is a time and place to mourn their loss. Lowering the U.S. flag every time a tragedy occurs diminishes the significance of the people and events that do merit this national sign of respect and further conveys this notion that we must constantly feel a sense of unanimous national loss, even when it is not merited.

Personally, I'd rather see those that are in mourning and feel the need to display it return to the old tradition of wearing black arm bands rather than lowering the U.S. flag outside of the code.

At the time I was in Cub Scouts I was also in 2nd and 3rd grades. We practiced displaying the flag in Cub Scouts and I, along with a couple other Scouts, were asked to raise the U.S. flag at our school each morning before school started. The school custodian gave us a quick run down on where the flag was kept and what was required. After that, we took care of it each morning. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that we had unintentionally violated some protocol, but as young as we were we still understood the importance of what we doing and that we had a responsibility to perform the task with respect. Right or wrong, we did it to the best of our ability and with pride. We've failed to pass on the civic mindedness that taught proper flag etiquette and respect to younger generations.

We have become a nation constantly mourning some such tragic event.

Per the above posting of the U.S. flag code, only the President, Governor of a state, Mayor of the District of Columbia, or the provisions within the code itself dictate when the U.S. flag may be lowered to half mast.

I've often thought it would be interesting and informative, on any given day or any given tragedy, to learn how many of the U.S. buildings, states, counties, and cities actually followed the code and/ or the proclamations...and what the political leanings of their jurisdiction were.

Posts: 3962 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Noooo Chicago is crime free thanks to their great gun control Wink

Posts: 667 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The flag was at half staff so often during the Obana years that I considered it a reflection on his administration. I was mourning for the country.

Hannibal ad portas. Carthago delenda est.

Posts: 5560 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
I don’t know who runs this site, but the stat-by-state breakdown is interesting

http://halfstaff.org/

Posts: 1888 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hi-power man:

My question is did he run the flag all the way to the top and then drop it to half staff? Which is the correct way to do it.

Posts: 464 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MtnPlinker:
I don’t know who runs this site, but the stat-by-state breakdown is interesting

http://halfstaff.org/

Thanks for posting that website! I'm going to give their notification app a try.

Although it displays the Seal of the President of the United States the website appears to be operated by The American Flagpole and Flag Co. and appears to be a volunteer effort that takes the various flag proclamations and scheduled half masts and puts out electronic notices to anyone in the public interested.

There are several archived proclamations that cover events from the Ft. Hood Shootings to the death of Nelson Mandela and so when I have time I will sift through some of these.

As today is Patriot Day commemorating the 9-11 attacks we should expect to see the U.S. flag at half mast all day.

Posts: 3962 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We subscribe to that app at work . It's my job to take care of the half staff thing .Our flag has a spotlight on it so it flies 24/7 .

Posts: 1512 | Location: The deep South | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post