SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    White Claw / Truly "Hard" Seltzer
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White Claw / Truly "Hard" Seltzer Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Forgive me if it isn’t vodka. I can’t drink seltzer so I don’t really know what the alcohol is though.

It's not vodka. White Claw's liquor content is a cheap base liquor made from fermented cane sugar. Kind of like an inexpensive, mass-produced, minimally distilled, non-aged, unflavored rum.

Some other brands of hard seltzer use a similar cheap liquor base made from malted barley, so are technically "malt liquor". Yeah, that's right ladies... You're drinking clear, sparkling, fruit-flavored Olde English/Mickeys/Colt 45. Big Grin

(It's just in a 12 ounce can instead of a 40 ounce bottle, it costs 10x as much, and it doesn't come with a complementary brown paper sack from which to swig it. Oh, and it looks waaaaay prettier on Instagram, right?)

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
How hard is it to buy seltzer and a bottle of vodka and make a boatload of “hard” seltzer’s?

Forgive me if it isn’t vodka. I can’t drink seltzer so I don’t really know what the alcohol is though. To me it’s like buying pre mixed jack and coke in a can. And then coming up with the most annoying advertising campaign ever to promote it. And, Americans buy into the nonsense hook line and sinker. Ugh

I’m not arguing with the wife though so I do have it in my fridge. Recently had a party and listened to the women talk about their favorite flavor. I miss Zima. Lol

I've sort of been watching this seltzer phenomenon a bit. We have a bunch in our basement fridge from a party last month. Some of it is White Claw but most is a local brand.

What I'm finding when talking to people is that it's mixed like the strength of a beer. If you are out at a bar and get a vodka/soda you can get pretty messed up after just a couple and in a short time. But if you are out to have fun and maybe watch a band the seltzer lets you have a few drinks and hang out all night without being a total wreck. Plus the seltzer is like $5 at a bar and a vodka/soda is about $8.

Personally I stick to the vodka soda, but my liver has better training than the women folk.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
My daughter showed up with some White Claw last night. I'd never heard of it prior to this thread - and when I saw it, I just started laughing.

She asked me why.

I told her the old guys on the forum were noting the hipster/trendy aspect of seltzer water drinks - and she got the "you old men are dumb and just don't understand" look.

I poured myself a bourbon and one for her boyfriend. He understood exactly what I meant - but he was smart enough to not say a thing.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

(It's just in a 12 ounce can instead of a 40 ounce bottle, it costs 10x as much, and it doesn't come with a complementary brown paper sack from which to swig it. Oh, and it looks waaaaay prettier on Instagram, right?)

I could have used that quote last night.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not just the "old guys". I'm 40 years old and have friends who swear by the piss water too. I chuckle and let them know I don't need their high school shenanigans. It's like these uncultured hooligans have never heard of scotch, whisky or rye. I guess their man bun, vaping, tight pant wearing selves are incapable of being a man.

P.S. Oh god, unless being 40 qualifies me as being "an old guy".

quote:
Originally posted by Jager:

I told her the old guys on the forum were noting the hipster/trendy aspect of seltzer water drinks - and she got the "you old men are dumb and just don't understand" look.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:

I hate to break it to ya but...

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:

I hate to break it to ya but...

Make room for him at the Country Cookin buffet with the rest of us. Big Grin

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post