SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People’s inability to admit they made a mistake
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People’s inability to admit they made a mistake Login/Join 
posted
This seems to be a common thing now and it’s pretty annoying.

Story: I sold a gun on gunbroker. Person buying firearm never contacted me or asked me any questions prior to purchase. They selected a dealer in South Carolina at the gunbroker checkout screen and paid for it so I shipped it off to the dealer in South Carolina. Get a call from buyer a couple days later saying they can’t pick up the firearm because they are not a resident of South Carolina they are a resident of North Carolina, but they live close to the border and the South Carolina dealer was closer to them and charged $15 vs the North Carolina dealers that charge $50 so they selected the South Carolina dealer. At this point the buyer requested we just send the FFL in South Carolina a shipping label to send it to a dealer in North Carolina. I advised customer I would look into costs and let them know. I contacted dealer in South Carolina he said he would ship it wherever we just need to send him a label and pay his $15 transfer fee. I then contacted buyer back and advised him I have no problem sending label I just need his credit card for $35 to pay for the $20 shipping label + $15 transfer fee or he could just go pay the dealer directly and they’ll ship it off to different dealer. He lost it.. It’s our fault for not telling him, it’s Gunbroker’s fault for allowing him to select the dealer, it’s everybody’s fault except his own because he’s a first time gun buyer and how’s he supposed to know etc etc (even though his Gunbroker account has prior feedback for purchasing firearms).

This was the F grade feedback we received from buyer:

“The purchase was sent to an FFL I could not pick up from the seller did not want to rectify this I would say it's half GunBroker fault and 1/2 sellers fault now I'm out another $35 to trnfer again”

I just don’t understand why people can’t own up to their own mistakes. We did not select the dealer. Gunbroker did not select the dealer. Not sure how this is half our fault and half Gunbroker’s when neither of us made the error. It doesn’t effect my feedback a lot I have 100 A+ feedback and only the one F from him, but it’s annoying you can leave bad feedback even though I didn’t do anything wrong.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kskelton,

You're probably aware of this, but you can request the negative feedback be lifted due to buyer mal intent. No guarantees, but its worth a try, I had a similar deal earlier in the year that was resolved in my favor. I submitted the receipts (email traffic) even though in your case its pretty much open & shut problem in the buyer's end trying to save $35.

Other than that, I second the valid posting. Wink

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1934 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, i sent in the request to have it removed we’ll see their ruling on it. It’s just annoying to have to spend time doing things that really aren’t that big of a deal. This should have been a simple “Damn, I screwed up, oh well guess I’m out $35” learning experience for the buyer. Instead he’s been a headache for everybody and not taking blame for any of it.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
It’s interesting he said “again” on his comments....

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
And that is the point where I stop trying to help, no matter what you do, even eat that money, the customer will still be pissed and give you bad lip service.

The old saying about flies and honey

I have even fired clients before a sale because of their behavior, I see the mess coming and tell them that my goods are no longer for sale to them

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Tell him to pay the fees to transfer/ship to the FFL in his state and then make an appointment for a mental health counselor and pay them to listen to him whine about how fucking hard life is.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
How does one regularly buy stuff online when they don't know what state they are in?

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So, did you leave feedback exposing him for the fool that he is? I would. People who read them will know who the asshole is. I wouldn't worry about one unjustified negative feedback out of a hundred positives.

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Keep any and all correspondence.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
Kskelton,

You're probably aware of this, but you can request the negative feedback be lifted due to buyer mal intent. No guarantees, but its worth a try, I had a similar deal earlier in the year that was resolved in my favor. I submitted the receipts (email traffic) even though in your case its pretty much open & shut problem in the buyer's end trying to save $35.

Beuno!

Kskelton,

I too, got a retaliatory negative feedback removed but it took a while and a bunch of following up with GB.

As far as your buyer, it sounds like he's an entitled idiot and a cheapskate!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
So you've met my wife?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
So, did you leave feedback exposing him for the fool that he is? I would. People who read them will know who the asshole is. I wouldn't worry about one unjustified negative feedback out of a hundred positives.

Yes I left him some wonderful feedback. And I’m not extremely worried about the negative feedback.. gunbroker will get 1 email about it, but it’s not really worth the time/effort to spend too long emailing back and forth to get it removed. I replied to his feedback on me so people will be able to see that as well. I don’t sell a ton on gunbroker I’ve just been using it lately because auctions are reaching ridiculous prices on certain items.