SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lucky me, the doctor put me on prednisone, and the side effect wheel of fortune stopped on...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lucky me, the doctor put me on prednisone, and the side effect wheel of fortune stopped on... Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I also have had really bad insomnia most of my life....I was put on tranzadone a while back and it helped.....I would fall asleep...I didn’t sleep terribly long on it (5-6 hours normally) but that was a godsend

Last night I took it, not even a yawn. 4 hours later I took again....then melatonin...nothing

I’m actually still not tired per se right now, but I am getting a little punchy

It does not help that today is the 25th anniversary of my farher’s death....that was a shitty day

quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:
I feel your pain. I have insomnia as it is. When I get prednisone I can’t sleep at all and it makes me irritable. REALLY irritable. I start to make Red Foreman look like a cuddly bunny.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benzodiazepines will work but are ADDICTIVE after a rather brief period of time. Klonopin is often used.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biggest problem with that is I don’t let my wife prescribe me anything like that, so I would have to get something from one of my actual doctors. It’s not worth the risk to me for her to give me anything remotely close to a scheduled drug. I let her refill my blood pressure meds, if I need a Z-pack or something, but that’s it.

Being that it’s after hours now I’m guessing the nurse is liberally using her “I will call you back in 24 hours” so I’m probably just going to have to try what I have on hand tonight.

You’re right though. A Valium would probably knock m on my ass right about now

——————————————————

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a good policy to not treat family members. Good luck.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, here goes nothing...I’ve been awake for 44 hours now...wish me luck boys...i’ll See you on the flip side

——————————————————

posted Hide Post
I did six days. Dexamethasone. It was scary. Be polite but direct tomorrow if the nurse has not called back. It can become a psychiatric emergency.

posted Hide Post
I will. I got some very restless sleep so I feel a little better today....it was in spurts....i’d Have wild dreams then be awake a while

At one point I thought I’d been asleep awhile and it was barely 25 minutes

——————————————————

posted Hide Post
How are you? I am hoping your absence means you are sleeping. Wild dreams is REM sleep trying to catch up.

posted Hide Post
No sleep today....had to meet with PT today, and my wife works late on Thursday so I am running around doing kids stuff. See a different doctor tomorrow morning

Almost everyone I talk to says they get aggressive on this stuff, so although I hate the insomnia, I’m glad I don’t hafe that problem

We will see how tonight goes

The nurse never called me back

——————————————————

posted Hide Post
Do see someone tomorrow to get some relief. Not returning calls is unacceptable. Keep us posted.

posted Hide Post
Little bit more sleep last night.....I’m into the lower dosage days now, wonder if that is helping

I also am really, really fucking sore today..lm sure from the minute amount of PT I did...which is embarrassing. All I did was basically pick my leg up and put it down....this is going to be a long process

——————————————————

posted Hide Post
And after two. Nights with some sleep, another night last night without

The nurse called back finally and told me to not take a dose after 6 and I would be fine

Or not, I guess. So glad I waited 3 days for that sage advice

So glad tonight is my last night on this stuff

——————————————————

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

I take the prednisolone 6-pack every 3 months for some relief from pain in my sciatic leg. The first couple of doses (6 tablets, then 5) tend to keep me awake, but the pain relief is worth it. Nothing short of back surgery (through the abdomen, no less) will cure this issue. I intend to avoid that as long as possible, use a cane to help keep the pain off the leg.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to have hear that brother. Living with back pain can be debilitating

I developed a syndrome known as cauda equina on holy Saturday and had emergency open spine surgery on Easter. I guess I was fortunate that they went through my back? I have a 5 inch scar over my spine now

As many surgeries as I’ve had (over 30 in my life) this is the first back surgery.

They put me on the prednisone because the nerves still seem really inflamed. The surgeon on Monday told me to not expect to get normal sensation and feeling back in my right leg for 12-18 months, and to be prepared for it to never be normal again

Cauda equina syndrome:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauda_equina_syndrome
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

I take the prednisolone 6-pack every 3 months for some relief from pain in my sciatic leg. The first couple of doses (6 tablets, then 5) tend to keep me awake, but the pain relief is worth it. Nothing short of back surgery (through the abdomen, no less) will cure this issue. I intend to avoid that as long as possible, use a cane to help keep the pain off the leg.

——————————————————

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Insomnia is the only one I really remember. Horrible insomnia, day after day.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I count on at least one night of hypomanic insomnia after an epidural steroid injection. I can’t imagine what you’ve been through, kevbo.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post