SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Any suggestions for a disposable razor that shaves close?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any suggestions for a disposable razor that shaves close? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I've had bad experiences with Schick razors over the years. How long have you been using the Xtreme 3?
Ever since I've discovered them. Probably over 10 years.

I also don't use cream, oil or gel. Water only.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mark. Lord Vaalic, I shave every day, but mainly because it's so difficult to get a close shave that I don't want it to get too thick. Since retirement, I only shaved every other day when I could still get good razors.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the BIC Flex5 that I get on Amazon for about $5-6 a 3-pack. Close shave. Last pretty long if you dry off the blade. I have a deep clef in my chin and they even do a decent job without chewing up my chin too much.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've never found a disposable that I liked.

I do shave every day. I want to use safety razors and blades, and they shave well, and are inexpensive. But you have to be much more careful, and they are slow.

So I often use a Fusion. They are expensive, but I can get three weeks (four if I push it) out of a cartridge. They shave close, are comfortable, and forgiving.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone have first hand experience with these German made shave products...

https://www.harrys.com/en/us/our-story

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Anyone have first hand experience with these German made shave products...

https://www.harrys.com/en/us/our-story

I tried them, nicely made but did not care for the angle of the blade to my face that their handle made. Kept feeling like I was going to slice myself.

I have been using Dorco blades for a couple years now, highly recommended here and they are the supplier for Dollar Shave Club.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t know that the Harry’s qualify as a disposable but I really like their product.

They do have a special for a “starter set” going now. I think that you pay $3.00 shipping for the set.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My answer to any razor suggestion is always a Schick Injector.

I have my dad's handle, which is older than I am, and slide in a new injector blade about once a month. Sometimes once every two months.

Best razor I have ever used. Cheap, shaves close but not too close, and tough.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
I used one briefly in college. A good razor, but not sold around here.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Harry's. At $2 a blade it's nice both on my face and pocketbook. The handle feels good in your hand plus the blade has a trim edge built in for sideburns. I have a soft beard so a blade will last me about 2 weeks before getting a pulling feeling. You can join their auto ship or as I do order when needed. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
...So I often use a Fusion. They are expensive, but I can get three weeks (four if I push it) out of a cartridge. They shave close, are comfortable, and forgiving.

I'm trying the Fusion 5 next, picking it up next time I get to the store. I think I saw them at Walmart.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of armme
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Harry's handle with two blades at Walmart for about $10 and a 4 (maybe 5, I forgot) pack of refills for roughly half the cost of the Schick and Gillette products.

So far, I like it alot.

Posts: 257 | Location: NC | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
I'll check them out tomorrow. Walmart's website says both Harry's and Fusion 5 are in stock.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I really like my Merkul razor and Feather blades. However, I keep the Gillette Sensor Excell as a quick weekday razor. I buy the bulk cartridges at Sams Club.

I like the Feather blades in my Merkur. You can by about a million for the price of some of these 5-blade soap-strip swivel battery-operated vibrating wonder impliments. And you know what? It still grows back. Roll Eyes

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The type of shaving cream you use also seems to have a hand in how close of a shave you get too.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
...And you know what? It still grows back. Roll Eyes

Evolution is a very slow process. Be patient. Razz

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The type of shaving cream you use also seems to have a hand in how close of a shave you get too.

I've been using Edge ever since it became available, so about 30 or 40 years, through every type of blade I've tried. It's been the one constant.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18