SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Any suggestions for a disposable razor that shaves close?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any suggestions for a disposable razor that shaves close? Login/Join 
posted
I've been searching for a decent disposable razor for a couple years now, ever since Gillette switched production of their basic razors to Mexico.

Those cheapies used to give me a good, close shave for about a week each, but since they went south, I've tried some of their more expensive ones, such as the Mach 3, then Schick's Hydro 5, some sort of BiC, another Gillette, none of them shave close.

This thread was intimidating when I checked the prices of recommended handles and blades:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/1110038524/p/1

Any suggestions? I really don't want to spend $40 or more for a handle that I end up disliking.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mach 4's blow away the Mach 3's and are the closest I've ever shaved with. That being said, the Dorco razers and blades are cheaper and do a pretty good job at a lot less money than the Mach 4's. I've been using the Dorco 6 blades, because a buddy of mine gave me like 100 blades and a few handles for free.

https://www.dorcousa.com/razors-men/

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see only Mach 3 and Fusion 5 on their website, no Mach 4.

I'll check back in the morning. Looks like Walmart used to carry Dorco, but no more.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I see only Mach 3 and Fusion 5 on their website, no Mach 4.

I'll check back in the morning. Looks like Walmart used to carry Dorco, but no more.

Yeah the Fusion 5. I think those were once called the mach 4's, but the fusion 5 are a great shave.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i would take the plunge and get a safety razor you will save a lot of money in the long run you cant go wrong with a merkur

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/WmsjA0staFw

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
I will echo what side_shot said. A few years ago I went back old school with a Gilette safety razor. It gives me a good close shave without being a lot of money. Get a good razor and you can research to find the best blade. The industry went from 1 blade to 2 blade to 3 blade, now 6 blades are needed to give a good shave? My single blade does its job well.

Posts: 538 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
lol i have been looking for a Gillette super speed and found one on esty its a 1964 the year of my birth i couldn't resist

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, jimmy, I'll try the Fusion 5.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I hated the four-blade razors. I found the inexpensive, disposable BIC Silky Touch to be the best razor available in the US for me.

https://www.shopbic.com/produc...ns-razors/STWP101DC/

It’s marketed for women, but I don’t care about that. Its slim two-blade head is perfect for under-nose shaving. I like the fact that the head doesn’t pivot – I can control the angle. Shaves close with few nicks.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks like their Twin Select. If the Gillette Flex 5 doesn't work I'll give it a try, but it's also close to the bottom-of-the-line Gillettes that I picked up at Walmart last week, the reason I put this thread in the "What's Your Deal" section.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I like these pretty well:

https://www.shopbic.com/produc...ens-razors/SBP51MYDC

Shave close without cutting my face to ribbons like the safety razors I’ve tried.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I've been using these for a while and like them.

Around $7.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen those around here, but I'll look a little closer when I'm at the store next time.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I use the Dorco Pace 6 razors and they work very well and the prices are great. Dorco makes Dollar Shave Club’s razors, but you can buy them direct and not have to enroll in DSC’s setup.

Pace 6

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Schick Xtreme3 are the only ones I've found that work. You need a flexing blade, not a straight or tilting/pivoting head with no flex.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had bad experiences with Schick razors over the years. How long have you been using the Xtreme 3?

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
Like some others have already stated I would highly recommend safety razors and a good shaving soap. I use KAI razor blades and a soap with tallow which gives me a very close baby smooth shave after the second pass. The KAI blades come in a pack of five and can be found for less than five dollars.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I like Gillette Sensor III

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I really like my Merkul razor and Feather blades. However, I keep the Gillette Sensor Excell as a quick weekday razor. I buy the bulk cartridges at Sams Club.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I hate shaving, I have a tough beard and dainty baby skin. Safety razors work great and are much cheaper, but it takes me longer to shave with them.

I use the Fusions, they aren't the cheapest but they work well and don't tear up my face. I don't shave every day, so take that into consideration if you do.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post