SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Concurrent sentences.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concurrent sentences. Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
This reminded me of it.

What if I were to borrow $10 from you on Monday, $10 from you on Wednesday, and then give you one $10 concurrent repayment of the debt on Friday? Would that work for you?

How did this concurrent sentencing shit ever get started?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. It's malarky. If they're going to run concurrently, how about you serve time for crime A on monday, crime B on Tuesday...etc, and alternate days until both sentences have been fully served.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
I would stick him out in general population and look the other way for a few minutes.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Concurrent life sentences are OK.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong in my understanding, but concurrent or successive are the same thing, IF for some reason, one gets dropped, the other still means you are in prison for life.

LIFE means life, no matter if you have 100, 1, successive, concurrent, 1 week on one week off.

Or am I wrong?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So where was Cool Hand Luke supposed to be?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
So where was Cool Hand Luke supposed to be?

In the box?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some of the forum lawyers will probably be along to state this more clearly but in some jurisdictions, there are statutory prohibitions against meting out multiple punishments for convictions arising from a single unlawful act. In such cases, while the defendant may have been convicted of multiple offenses, he would effectively be given only a single (usually longer) sentence for the more serious crime to run concurrently with the (usually shorter) sentence for the lesser crime.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
I may be wrong in my understanding, but concurrent or successive are the same thing, IF for some reason, one gets dropped, the other still means you are in prison for life.

LIFE means life, no matter if you have 100, 1, successive, concurrent, 1 week on one week off.

Or am I wrong?

Sadly, you are mistaken here. I wish I were kidding, but I'm not. Google 'life sentence parole' for details. Here's an example from the Georgia State Board of Paroles and Pardons
quote:
An offender serving a life sentence, for which parole is authorized by law, is automatically considered for parole on the date permitted by applicable constitutional and statutory law.

Parole-eligible offenders serving a life sentence for a serious violent felony (murder, rape, aggravated sodomy, aggravated child molestation, aggravated sexual battery, armed robbery, or kidnapping) committed prior to July 1, 2006, are initially considered for parole after serving 14 years. Those offenders who committed such crimes on or after July 1, 2006, will not be considered for parole until they have served 30 years.

Yep, that's the deal in Georgia. Convicted for murder in 2003, sentenced to life? Eligible for parole this year as it'll have been 14 years. Georgia seems to have tightened this in 2006 as lifers now aren't eligible until after 30 years.

Not picking on Georgia - it was just the first Google hit. The bottom line is a criminal earning a 'life sentence' does not necessarily stay in prison the rest of their life.

Personally, I think they use the term 'life' to confuse jurors and the general public. They think someone's been put away for good with a life sentence.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Concurrent life sentences are OK.

If it life without possibility of parole.

I want to see someone get consecutive death sentences carried out.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:

There isn't enough room to hold everybody.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post