SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    American Airline’s new racket
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Airline’s new racket Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
Thanks fully I don’t fly very often anymore. We have to fly to Boston in August for a family matter.

American now charges an additional $20 if you want to select your seat ahead of time and if you want access to the overhead bins.

We don’t have many options in Charlotte but I’m flying Jet Blue instead.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the Spirit Air model, start with a low fare and then make you pay for everything over and above a basic seat.

Long time ago there was an airline called People's Express that did this way ahead of their time. They were parodied on SNL as "People's Cargo" and eventually sold to Continental.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Jeff, are you sure that's for all fares?

I know they have instituted an ultra-low cost ticket tier, but I have been unaware of any changes otherwise.

Edited to add: Yes, you must be looking at the "Basic Economy" ticket level. Everything above that still gets normal seat choosing and overhead privileges.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Southwest is another option. 15 dollar, per person, each way Early bird that gets you in the "A" group.

Sit wherever you want.

Also, no checked bag fee.

Or, you can skip the Early Bird option and check in right at the 24 hour check in time. You might get lucky. Good Luck.

Posts: 511 | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I just flew Allegiant to and from Concord/Sanford (FL). Had to pay extra to sit next to my 10yo. If I wanted a "carry on" I had to pay another $15/person/flight. I checked a bag (40lbs limit rather than the standard 50lbs) with a gun, so we put all our stuff in that, plus a "personal item" each-small backpacks.

The wife and I are going to TX in September. Just bought our tickets through United, after watching prices for several weeks. Sitting wherever they assign us, no carry-on:
quote:
Basic Economy onboard bag policy
Carry-on bags: You’re allowed a small personal item that fits under the seat in front of you, such as a shoulder bag, purse, laptop bag or other small item, 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm) or less.

Mobility aids and other devices are also permitted. You’re not allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you’re a MileagePlus Premier member, primary member of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or Star Alliance™ Gold member. If you bring a
full-sized carry-on bag to the gate, your bag will be checked and subject to the applicable checked bag fee and $25 gate handling charge.

I'd rather drive and bring all my shit and not be bothered by TSA trolls. Mad

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The discount a la carte pricing model can be beneficial sometimes. I can fly direct from Raleigh to Cincy to see family in Louisville for about $60-80 round trip on Frontier. $80 in gas doesn't even get me all the way there by car.

Granted, it's not comfortable, I don't get to pick my seat, and I can only pack one "personal" bag that can fit under the seat in front of me, but it's cheap and quick and makes it much more accessible for me to spend time with family.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Jet Blue from DC to Boston was horrible. We were in an ancient plane that had legroom for a 3 year old and seats that reclined MAYBE 2 degrees. I felt like I’d been beaten with a tire iron and the flight was only a couple hours.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You want it cheap you get it cheap.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

This.

People complain that flying isn’t nice like it used to be. That goes both ways. The last time I flew, I was the only person wearing a tie, crew excepted. Most of the people on the plane were dressed so as to make Greyhound’s clientele look classy.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the people on the plane were dressed so as to make Greyhound’s clientele look classy.

Passenger flights are simply Greyhound buses in the sky. Airports and bus stops are almost one & the same now.

Flying anymore just sucks.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:

This.

People complain that flying isn’t nice like it used to be. That goes both ways. The last time I flew, I was the only person wearing a tie, crew excepted. Most of the people on the plane were dressed so as to make Greyhound’s clientele look classy.

Or oh, my economy plus seat for $87 round trip has crappy leg room, no food, and uncomfortable.

Duh, you're paying $87 to fly the distance it would take the settlers months to travel and suffer 25% fatalities.

Put it in some perspective!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Thanks fully I don’t fly very often anymore. We have to fly to Boston in August for a family matter.

American now charges an additional $20 if you want to select your seat ahead of time and if you want access to the overhead bins.

We don’t have many options in Charlotte but I’m flying Jet Blue instead.

There is a bare bones fare that has no carry-on (boarding group 9), but otherwise, you will pay for checked luggage, and you may have one carry-on item (overhead) and one personal item (under the seat ahead of you).

It's not a racket. It's an opportunity for those who don't want the additional space to pay less. You're being given options.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year I flew from Seattle to Oakland to visit family in the Bay Area. I had 1 bag to check, and had salmon & halibut in a Yeti cooler. So, looking at fares on Alaska, economy was $95 each way. With 2 checked bags at $25 each, it would go up to $145 each way. First class was $173 each way, which included 2 checked bags, so for essentially $28 more each way, I was able to distance myself from the "hoi polloi".

Also, Seat Guru helps when choosing seats. It gives details for each airline. What looks like a good seat on the airline seat charts, may not be so good:

https://www.seatguru.com/

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duh, you're paying $87 to fly the distance it would take the settlers months to travel and suffer 25% fatalities.

Yeah, I take the cheapest possible because most of the time, I'm flying somewhere to drive a car back... Big Grin

I just put the front tray down and take a nap.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allegiant waives most or all of their fees for current or retired military.

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fly Allegiant quit a bit to St. Pete and I predict that we all will be issued "flying suits" prior to departure. Not to aid in flying but to zip up, prevent access to pockets and a loop at the back of the neck to allow one to hang from a hook that slides to the plane and get moved around like bovine carcasses.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my choice now is to UPS a box of my crap to the destination. Most hotels will do this, and if you're visiting relatives its a breeze. Mostly I go places where someone has a gun I can borrow when I arrive, I don't screw with taking one in the baggage.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:

This.

Or oh, my economy plus seat for $87 round trip has crappy leg room, no food, and uncomfortable.

Posts: 3655 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My recent Jetblue experience was from Philadelphia to Boston and back..Flying time just over and hour each way, was comfortable, a whole can of ginger ale and a cup, napkin and a bag of Cheese-its..nothing to complain about here.

Posts: 511 | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I can see paying for preselected seats but access to the overhead??? It’s not like they’ll let put your carryon in your lap.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post