SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Let me tell you what, I will NEVER buy a Nest Thermostat again...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let me tell you what, I will NEVER buy a Nest Thermostat again... Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
I guess I'm the only who has a Nest, has it work properly, and likes it. I've had mine for just over 2 years now and love it.

I'm sorry you've had so many issues Kevin. You are a very patient man for being on hold for so long!

Love my nest too. Haven’t had any issues at all. It’s been fantastic.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
it all started with the tv remote.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to replace my system just under two years ago. They installed a Honeywell T6 - has programming, geo-fence, and remote change via an app on your phone. I keep the the system somewhat close to what I want when I get home, then change it as necessary on my way.

Home Depot has versions of this unit - the T6 is nominally the one that contractors get - there are similar models that are sold to consumers.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
Go Honeywell. I have one of their wifi models and it is been solid for two years. I can do adjust the schedule from my phone which is easier and you can make adjustments on the fly.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I'm the only who has a Nest, has it work properly, and likes it. I've had mine for just over 2 years now and love it.

I'm sorry you've had so many issues Kevin. You are a very patient man for being on hold for so long!

You are not alone, we've had one for several years, works as advertised, did have one issue on upgradeability, the original T-stat couldn't handle the upgrade, Nest sent us a replacement at no charge for that one....

Software could use some improvements, reporting could be better as well.

But all in all,,,, It will Cool Big Grin

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have 2 in my new house. No issues.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your renters do pay for their own utilities, don't they.

And, $7-800 a month electric bill? How big is your home?

Guessing it's a vacation rental property, and you'd be surprised how low people will set hotel and rental condo T-stats since they don't foot the bill directly. We had a rental condo on the beach, people would open the doors for the "fresh beach air" and go out all day, letting the AC run continuously. Most owners put switches on the doors, you leave them open over 15 minutes and it turns off the power to the AC...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 years with our Nest T-stat and no issues, in fact I recently installed a Nest outdoor camera and they both share the same app.

Posts: 406 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

I didn't see this post originally, but I'm a Nest fan too.

We installed one when we moved into this house 6+ years ago and have never had an issue with it.

It's not just a fancy gadget either; it has saved us a lot of money on our electric bills.

For example, if we go out of town, I set it to Eco mode when we leave, which drops the temp to 50 degrees. A couple of hours before we return, I open the app and turn off Eco mode. By the time we get home, the house is nice and warm.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Has anyone ever conducted a scientifically rigorous experiment and documented any savings from moving the temp up and down on a daily basis?

My suspicion is that the savings are minuscule and one would never amortize the cost of the "intelligent" thermostat.

That's a good question.

I have never seen any studies, but we used to have ours set to go down 50 degrees at 10pm and then back up to 68 around 6am.

I was talking to our HVAC tech and he told me that we should not set it so low at night because we were losing any savings when the furnace had to run extra long in the morning to heat the house back up.

Now I have set to drop to 60 at night, but I don't even know if that's the right number. It would be great if there was data that had recommended settings.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
For example, if we go out of town, I set it to Eco mode when we leave, which drops the temp to 50 degrees. A couple of hours before we return, I open the app and turn off Eco mode. By the time we get home, the house is nice and warm.

Yep, that's a great help. I set the schedule to lower the temp while I'm at work and then warm up before I get home.

I'm moving to a new home in 7 days and the thermostat that was put in is being removed and my Nest is being installed in it's place.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this, I was about to buy one for when we were on vacation. Not now for sure!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm moving to a new home in 7 days and the thermostat that was put in is being removed and my Nest is being installed in it's place.

Moved in on November 27th but didn't get the Nest installed until January 31st. Old house had 4 wires/new house has 5. I was stumped on the difference and finally broke down and paid a company to wire it up for me.

Of course I didn't listen to my brother on how to hook it up(he's in Fl, I'm in OH.) He's an AC automation engineer and has been in the business, starting as a mechanic, for almost 40 years Eek

With that being said, I still love my Nest, and am very thankful I got it hooked up again. Yesterday the temp outside barely rose above 15 degrees and my heat only ran for 3 hours. With my other thermostat that was in my house I would just set it at a certain temperature and be stuck with that temperature or be forced to get up and change the temp Roll Eyes LOL It's super convenient, especially when upstairs in bed and the Nest is downstairs.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Your renters do pay for their own utilities, don't they.

And, $7-800 a month electric bill? How big is your home?

Guessing it's a vacation rental property, and you'd be surprised how low people will set hotel and rental condo T-stats since they don't foot the bill directly. We had a rental condo on the beach, people would open the doors for the "fresh beach air" and go out all day, letting the AC run continuously. Most owners put switches on the doors, you leave them open over 15 minutes and it turns off the power to the AC...

Yes it is a vacation rental home in the Outer Banks of NC. 4 bdrm/4bath, 2300 sf with a pool and hot tub. But I’ve been told people leave the doors and windows open so they can hear the waves while they fall asleep with the AC set to 60...

We’ll see how it goes this year as I can see and override the system from my iPhone..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Yes it is a vacation rental home in the Outer Banks of NC. 4 bdrm/4bath, 2300 sf with a pool and hot tub. But I’ve been told people leave the doors and windows open so they can hear the waves while they fall asleep with the AC set to 60...

We’ll see how it goes this year as I can see and override the system from my iPhone..

I would check with a local AC company about having timed delay switches put on the doors as well. So if they are running the AC at low temps all hours and burning up your costs, as well as equipment, if the doors are left open for a minimum time, say 15 minutes, the AC unit shuts down.

Otherwise you're going to be up all day and night resetting the t-stat.

I believe you can lock down a Nest with a passcode, which would fix the problem of people moving the t-stat constantly...

Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
It seems that in this regard I'm the old geezer of the group. When we first moved into our home there was a Honeywell programmable thermostat which I thought would be nice, but it wasn't long before I was insisting that we replace it with an old fashioned dial. You're cold, twist it clockwise; you're hot twist it counter-clockwise. I may have threatened to install a locking cover over it a couple times, but I'm satisfied with it.

I don't see how connecting all this technology to the internet is a good idea- we've all seen Terminator, and some of us have seen Runaway. Wink

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems that in this regard I'm the old geezer of the group. When we first moved into our home there was a Honeywell programmable thermostat which I thought would be nice, but it wasn't long before I was insisting that we replace it with an old fashioned dial. You're cold, twist it clockwise; you're hot twist it counter-clockwise. I may have threatened to install a locking cover over it a couple times, but I'm satisfied with it.

The nest is a digital dial, similar, twist clockwise for higher temps, twist counter clock wise for lower temps.

The nice thing is you can bring up the app on your iStuff and not have to get out from under the blanket on the sofa and miss part of the tv show to change the temp LOL