SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Let me tell you what, I will NEVER buy a Nest Thermostat again...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let me tell you what, I will NEVER buy a Nest Thermostat again... Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
This is handy because both of our schedules are erratic and frequently change. And easy to log in and cool/heat the house so it is at a good temp when we arrive home. Also more economical and got a rebate on it from the power company.

I had a progrwmmable one that I replaced as it was a pain to constantly change the program or to remember to constantly change it.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
This is handy because both of our schedules are erratic and frequently change.

Unless I misunderstand the way the Nest "learns" this is an awful fit and makes it useless since it can't establish a pattern.

quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
And easy to log in and cool/heat the house so it is at a good temp when we arrive home.

Again, this is why something like Sensi works better IMONSHO. Yes you can set up programs to run for "normal" schedule, whatever that is, or have "normal 1" "normal 2" etc. options that you can run as appropriate.

Want to change to a temp when you're headed home early from work or vacation - just open app and hit the app or down arrows to desired temperature.

Good luck!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm the only who has a Nest, has it work properly, and likes it. I've had mine for just over 2 years now and love it.

I'm sorry you've had so many issues Kevin. You are a very patient man for being on hold for so long!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
We just use the honeywell programable. It floats between an upper and lower setting (like 69 and 72) kicking on AC or Heat as needed depending on the season. And it has about 4 or 5 settings per day and can be tuned for each specific day of the week. So it knows to go down a few degrees right at bedtime, come up a degree when time to wake up, and maybe have a bigger float width during the day when we are all out of the house. And I can set it so it knows I sleep late on Saturdays and get up a little later on Sunday than I do on weekdays, etc.

Set it all up when I got it, and haven't messed with it since then.

Also has an input for a thermistor that tells it the outdoor temp so it can decide if heat pump is sufficient or if it needs to turn on the propane furnace.

Same. The Honeywell “app” isn’t anything special. But it worked fine for me for 5-6 years now. I have the thermostat programmed for the season and I don’t mess with it. Based on work schedule, heat, sunlight, blah blah. it’s nice, like a remote control, to be in a room, want to turn it down a degree or two and just press some glass and not move.

I want nothing to do with Nest, google, Alexa, etc devices. All home automation stuff I have is from a well established mfr vs. Silicon Valley.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
the simpler anything i use is, the better my life goes. yep, i'm old

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They make a 4 wire power adapter you wire in if the cable is 4 and not 5.

However, if you do have a 5 wire, the fix is simple.

Go to your air handler and open the panel to see if they have the 5th wire wrapped back, unwrap it and connect to the 24v connection, then pop the thermostat off and connect the 5th wire.

If your cable is 4 wire the adapter/splitter is available.

Mine drove me nuts the first few days until I discovered this.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
When our house was built, 1996, the builder put in a programmable thermostat. This was all well before the ‘nest’ type.

We never used any programmable features. I ended up replacing with a simple dial thermostat, works great.

Yeah, a ‘generational’ thing. I really don’t need to be adjusting it from 200 miles away. I have my wood stove too, so I guess I’m somewhat of a throwback.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Yep.
Mine is digital but not programmable. I leave for work and I adjust it up or down depending on the season. I get home and I adjust it again.
Not saying anyone is wrong to have a programmable unit, I just like simple and unobtrusive.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Everyone in the trade knows Nests are junk. Can’t tell you how many I’ve replaced and my company has replaced.

I thought I was the only one who thought that. Everyone seems to praise them. I guess when you pay that much for something you feel you need to justify it.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem with mine in the several years I've owned it.
Even after replacing my HVAC system...

I've never used the 'learning' stuff, I just keep it on a schedule..

I must be the 'chosen one'.. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever conducted a scientifically rigorous experiment and documented any savings from moving the temp up and down on a daily basis?

My suspicion is that the savings are minuscule and one would never amortize the cost of the "intelligent" thermostat.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I really prefer a traditional "set it" thermostat. The ones we currently have are programmable, but we don't program them. We also have a bevy of mini-splits, which come with a remote. The remote has a timer function, but again we don't use that, just set the unit to a comfort level. The nice thing about the mini-splits is they zone off the house so we can set comfort levels for each zone.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
This.. Big Grin ..

Posts: 511 | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I really prefer a traditional "set it" thermostat. The ones we currently have are programmable, but we don't program them. We also have a bevy of mini-splits, which come with a remote. The remote has a timer function, but again we don't use that, just set the unit to a comfort level. The nice thing about the mini-splits is they zone off the house so we can set comfort levels for each zone.

We have a minisplit for our sunroom. Do you control the temps with the remotes or a wired wall mounted control? We find the wired control more accurate in maintaining the set temp. Also less cycling.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the review and info. I will maintain status quo with my Honeywell.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Ecobee3 that wants me to connect it with home WiFi.

Uh, no I told it. Just keep it simple.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I have 11 years of our electric bills in my files. I can prove that programming a thermostat costs more money. Two years ago we put our thermostat on "Permanent Hold" and seldom make any changes. Our electric bills have gone down.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I have 11 years of our electric bills in my files. I can prove that programming a thermostat costs more money.

Depends upon your use case.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

I just bought two of these for our rental home at the beach. Hopefully we will be able to program it so that the renters don’t crank it down to 60 degrees and leave the sliding doors onto the deck open. I’m hoping that my $7-800 / month electric bill in the summer will go down quite a bit...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

I just bought two of these for our rental home at the beach. Hopefully we will be able to program it so that the renters don’t crank it down to 60 degrees and leave the sliding doors onto the deck open. I’m hoping that my $7-800 / month electric bill in the summer will go down quite a bit...

Your renters do pay for their own utilities, don't they.

And, $7-800 a month electric bill? How big is your home?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post