SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Let me tell you what, I will NEVER buy a Nest Thermostat again...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let me tell you what, I will NEVER buy a Nest Thermostat again... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I have an Ecobee3 that wants me to connect it with home WiFi.

Uh, no I told it. Just keep it simple.

I just bought two of these for our rental home at the beach. Hopefully we will be able to program it so that the renters don’t crank it down to 60 degrees and leave the sliding doors onto the deck open. I’m hoping that my $7-800 / month electric bill in the summer will go down quite a bit...

Your renters do pay for their own utilities, don't they.

And, $7-800 a month electric bill? How big is your home?

"Just think what Goebbels could have done with Facebook."

Posts: 7503 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
I guess I'm the only who has a Nest, has it work properly, and likes it. I've had mine for just over 2 years now and love it.

I'm sorry you've had so many issues Kevin. You are a very patient man for being on hold for so long!

Love my nest too. Haven’t had any issues at all. It’s been fantastic.

Posts: 6922 | Location: Derby City | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
it all started with the tv remote.

Posts: 5298 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to replace my system just under two years ago. They installed a Honeywell T6 - has programming, geo-fence, and remote change via an app on your phone. I keep the the system somewhat close to what I want when I get home, then change it as necessary on my way.

Home Depot has versions of this unit - the T6 is nominally the one that contractors get - there are similar models that are sold to consumers.

Posts: 2392 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
Go Honeywell. I have one of their wifi models and it is been solid for two years. I can do adjust the schedule from my phone which is easier and you can make adjustments on the fly.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 411 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I'm the only who has a Nest, has it work properly, and likes it. I've had mine for just over 2 years now and love it.

I'm sorry you've had so many issues Kevin. You are a very patient man for being on hold for so long!

You are not alone, we've had one for several years, works as advertised, did have one issue on upgradeability, the original T-stat couldn't handle the upgrade, Nest sent us a replacement at no charge for that one....

Software could use some improvements, reporting could be better as well.

But all in all,,,, It will Cool Big Grin

Posts: 16127 | Location: FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of alinc100
posted Hide Post
I've been married for 25+ years to a woman with a thyroid problem. I'm not even allowed to say the word thermostat.

Hawaiian shirts- Apparently I have a closet full of racism....who knew??

Posts: 660 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: April 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have 2 in my new house. No issues.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 15514 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your renters do pay for their own utilities, don't they.

And, $7-800 a month electric bill? How big is your home?

Guessing it's a vacation rental property, and you'd be surprised how low people will set hotel and rental condo T-stats since they don't foot the bill directly. We had a rental condo on the beach, people would open the doors for the "fresh beach air" and go out all day, letting the AC run continuously. Most owners put switches on the doors, you leave them open over 15 minutes and it turns off the power to the AC...

Posts: 16127 | Location: FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 years with our Nest T-stat and no issues, in fact I recently installed a Nest outdoor camera and they both share the same app.

Posts: 29 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

I didn't see this post originally, but I'm a Nest fan too.

We installed one when we moved into this house 6+ years ago and have never had an issue with it.

It's not just a fancy gadget either; it has saved us a lot of money on our electric bills.

For example, if we go out of town, I set it to Eco mode when we leave, which drops the temp to 50 degrees. A couple of hours before we return, I open the app and turn off Eco mode. By the time we get home, the house is nice and warm.

NRA Endowment Life Member; ISRA Member

“The Left want to be our shepherds. But that requires us to be sheep.” ― Thomas Sowell

Posts: 5079 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Has anyone ever conducted a scientifically rigorous experiment and documented any savings from moving the temp up and down on a daily basis?

My suspicion is that the savings are minuscule and one would never amortize the cost of the "intelligent" thermostat.

That's a good question.

I have never seen any studies, but we used to have ours set to go down 50 degrees at 10pm and then back up to 68 around 6am.

I was talking to our HVAC tech and he told me that we should not set it so low at night because we were losing any savings when the furnace had to run extra long in the morning to heat the house back up.

Now I have set to drop to 60 at night, but I don't even know if that's the right number. It would be great if there was data that had recommended settings.

NRA Endowment Life Member; ISRA Member

“The Left want to be our shepherds. But that requires us to be sheep.” ― Thomas Sowell

Posts: 5079 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a major bummer. I've had a Nest for about two years and I really like it. Zero issues. I don't use their scheduling AI. I find I like my own generic schedule better. It's pretty easy to set your own up imho. You can also use the Nest like a regular thermostat if wifi goes out. I like the dial-style and hated the tiny buttons of my old-school model I had before. I also like the motion detector that senses you and lights up. It's like a bonus night-lite.

Sorry to hear their support was so bad. I have several Nest/Yale/Google products and have had quite good luck with them. I have a Rachio sprinkler controller that occasionally misses a zone which I may need to ask about in the Spring. Not sure if that's controller issue or maybe a wiring or solenoid issue. For another day...

Posts: 5272 | Location: CO | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
For example, if we go out of town, I set it to Eco mode when we leave, which drops the temp to 50 degrees. A couple of hours before we return, I open the app and turn off Eco mode. By the time we get home, the house is nice and warm.

Yep, that's a great help. I set the schedule to lower the temp while I'm at work and then warm up before I get home.

I'm moving to a new home in 7 days and the thermostat that was put in is being removed and my Nest is being installed in it's place.

Posts: 7540 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this, I was about to buy one for when we were on vacation. Not now for sure!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 2918 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post