SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Super Bowl National Anthem

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Super Bowl National Anthem Login/Join 
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted
Haven’t watched professional sports in over a year but thought, it’s the super bowl so maybe I’ll tune in. I arrive at the start on the National Anthem.

Who finds these “performers?” It’s the National Anthem not a floor show or country/soul/rock concert you narcissistic self-centered fucks! Show some respect and sing it as it’s written. It’s about the country, not about you you fucking idiots.

Not even going to try to stick around for the game as it’ll probably be 3 hours of social justice pandering with a few plays in between

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I can no longer hear music; my hearing aids barely allow me to understand the spoken word, but I have a musical heritage.

My mother was a classical pianist (organ and harpsichord, too), and I grew up with music, played in bands and orchestras all through high school, college, Navy, community (amateur) symphony orchestra, stage band (think Kenton, Ellington, etc.) later in life.

One of my pet peeves was any variation on the National Anthem.

As you stated, it should be played exactly as written, no room for "creativity."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I refuse to watch any professional sports, even the Super Bowl. Who mangled the national anthem this time?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Report This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Beats me.....I’m watching reruns of Last Man Standing.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

As you stated, it should be played exactly as written, no room for "creativity."

I'm with you. When I hear it done, I can only think "this isn't your song, it's our song, and you're doing it disservice."

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I don't give them or pro sports the time of day. May the most politically correct, socially woke team win ... or not.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This is yr 5 or 6 I have not watched. I guess I became “woke” all by myself. Down to college, only the Service Academies.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Beats me.....I’m watching reruns of Last Man Standing.

Us too. What game? Who cares? They can all go rot.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
This is yr 5 or 6 I have not watched. I guess I became “woke” all by myself. Down to college, only the Service Academies.

I think I'm on year 5 myself.
I love college ball and watch that every weekend with quite a few bowl games also.
Besides, my daughter came for a visit and I made cast iron pizza so I'd rather do that.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'll take your word for it. I didn't watch it, preferring the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet instead. Big Grin

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Artistic interpertation be dammed. .......................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

The only correct National Anthem rendition I've seen in the Super Bowl, or any sports event for that matter, was the 39th Super Bowl. The military Academy Choirs performed to the correct cadence, and without vocal silliness. IMO, it would have been even better minus the USA herald trumpets.

Honorable mention to Super Bowl 6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCc8wBF1RTM

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I'll take your word for it. I didn't watch it, preferring the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet instead. Big Grin

That's what I watch. Loved the dog with no front legs.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't think it was horrific, a bit dramatic for my tastes, it wasn't butchered and they spit it out. At least it wasn't like what we've seen in past at NBA games.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have felt for a long time that America The Beautiful would make us a better National Anthem than the Star Spangled Banner. Mainly because the The Star Spangled Banner is often screwed up by whoever sings it.
But I guess America The Beautiful can be screwed up too. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post