SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Did Discount Tire Do Me Wrong?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did Discount Tire Do Me Wrong? Login/Join 
posted
Not sure if I should make a stink about this or not but my daughters Honda Civic had a year old set of Barum 3HM tires on it and this am one was flat so off to Discount I went...Nail in sidewall, no worries, I had road hazard so they hook me up with a new tire and send me on my way.

Just now I looked at it and the tire that was on it was a Barum 3HM and they replaced it with the 5HM, a slightly better, more aggressive tire.

I looked on their site and the specs are different across the boards with load, treadler, etc..and it appears that the 3 is still available.

I called and spoke to some dipshit who gave me a bunch of double talk about the 5 being the "new" 3 and pretty much hung up on me.

As this is a base Civic and doesn't get that much use I am not sure if I should even bother with it but conventional wisdom and their own site say to mot mix and match tires?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Move on.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did they actually have the 3 physical in stock?
I had something similar happen on my wife's car.
She hit a hit something on the road and had a tire blow out.
The exact tire was no longer made and the new replacement had a good bit of difference in tread.
I ended up replacing both rear tires so they would be the same.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:

I think this is what you need to do. Pull a Karen. Ask to speak with the manager and throw the "tires need to be replaced in pairs" at them. See what kind of discount they are willing to give you on the the second tire.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:

I think this is what you need to do. Pull a Karen. Ask to speak with the manager and throw the "tires need to be replaced in pairs" at them. See what kind of discount they are willing to give you on the the second tire.

The beauty of Discount is they have that satisfaction guarantee so I might either make them order the same tire or convince them to match it for the headache

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I was in DT a while ago when a dude came in with a bad tire. He hadn't bought the extended, road hazard warranty. They refused to replace the tire without replacing the pair. Funny how that works.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your daughter , and the car , will never know the difference .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Your daughter , and the car , will never know the difference .

This. those tires are close cousins.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If Laguna Seca is on her way to work...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
perhaps contact the company.

I didn't look very hard but didn't see a phone number. There is a 'contact' option that allows you to submit a question. Perhaps use that option and ask if it's OK to replace the 3 with a 5 of if you should track down a 3.

https://www.barum-me.com/car/contact

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to work with this guy that drove a pickup with three 16 inch tires and one 15 inch . Put this in perspective ..

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
It’s fine. They replaced the tire with a upgrade. Why try to soak them for another tire Tim didn’t pay for.

No offense, but WTF is a Barum 3or5HM?

It’s not like you bought a Michelin, Toyo, or Pirelli. You bought a budget tire. Expect a budget replacement. It’s a $60 tire. If you dropped $200 on one of the ones I mentioned, I would expect a matching replacement. In the case of a budget tire, you get what you get.

I’m really not trying to be a dick, and I am fairly certain I come off as one. But you get what you pay for when it comes to brands, quality, availability, and not changing the models too often.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
No offense, but WTF is a Barum 3or5HM?

It's the best Czechoslovakian tire money can buy and seems to be a budget brand of Continental.

I'm in the it isn't going to make a difference on the Civic camp.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had mixed match tires on cars from time to time due to flats or the front tires wearing out faster than the rear and never noticed any ill effects to handling or braking despite the fact I have a tendency to drive aggressively. I wouldn't waste more time on the phone arguing with the tire shop or waste more time waiting around having another tire put on. If they refused to honor the warranty you'd have something to complain about. Does the warranty require the tire shop to replace the tire with an identical tire or just a equivalent tire?

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post