SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "I don't like taking medication"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"I don't like taking medication" Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
This doesn't affect me at all, I just don't get the mind set.

I know several people (My dad, my wife, my wife's grandmother, people I've worked with) who won't take medication when they're sick or have an issue that will easily be resolved or at least managed by taking some meds.

For the most part, I'm not talking addictive things like opioids etc, but more so over the counter products that help with cough and cold symptoms, pain relief, or antibiotics from the doctor.

If all the liquid is draining from your body through your face, why not take a shot of Dayquil, or whatever so you feel a little better or so your snot isn't dripping down your face.

Maybe a cough suppressant to lessen the constant hacking? But no...they don't like taking medication for whatever silly reason they have. Oh, you have a really bad headache? Here's some ibuprofen. No? Ok, suffer and complain to me when all you need to do is drink this water and swallow this pill.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm not to that level, but I am a bit picky about what medication I take, even OTC stuff. Most multi-symptom cough/cold medication includes decongestant stimulants, like pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine, which make me feel jittery. So I don't like taking things like Dayquil. Instead, I'll suck it up if it's minor, or take lesser drugs that target a specific symptom and don't have a decongenstant stimulants, like guaifenesin (Mucinex) if I have chest congestion, or dextromethorphan (Robitussin) if I have a cough.

And I have no trouble taking OTC painkillers as needed. But even besides addiction concerns, I have had bad reactions in the past with opiates causing things like hallucinations and constipation, so will only take hardcore painkillers if I'm devastatingly injured. Otherwise I just double up on the ibuprofen and deal with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

I know several people (My dad, my wife, my wife's grandmother, people I've worked with) who won't take medication when they're sick or have an issue that will easily be resolved or at least managed by taking some meds.

For the most part, I'm not talking addictive things like opioids etc, but more so over the counter products that help with cough and cold symptoms, pain relief, or antibiotics from the doctor.

If all the liquid is draining from your body through your face, why not take a shot of Dayquil, or whatever so you feel a little better or so your snot isn't dripping down your face.

Maybe a cough suppressant to lessen the constant hacking? But no...they don't like taking medication for whatever silly reason they have. Oh, you have a really bad headache? Here's some ibuprofen. No? Ok, suffer and complain to me when all you need to do is drink this water and swallow this pill.

You need to respect the choice they make. It's their body, not yours. If they can tough it out, and the acute illness resolves without meds, good for them. It's so much better than those, at the first sign of a runny nose, who run to the doc and demand antibiotics. It's a common cold. The magical antibiotic won't help you.

But now, if you're talking chronic illness truly requiring daily maintenance meds, and they are non-compliant with it, that's the real problem. Stories that I've seen a thousand times is the classic patients coming in with BP of 220+/150+ and has stopped taking their BP meds a year or so ago because "my BP was fine". Well, your BP was fine because of the meds you were taking, sir. These people are truly ticking time bombs.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
But now, if you're talking chronic illness truly requiring daily maintenance meds, and they are non-compliant with it, that's the real problem. Stories that I've seen a thousand times is the classic patients coming in with BP of 220+/150+ and has stopped taking their BP meds a year or so ago because "my BP was fine". Well, your BP was fine because of the meds you were taking, sir. These people are truly ticking time bombs.

Applies to mental health meds too. Quite a few folks go off the deep end, get medicated, take the meds for a little bit, stop taking the meds because they "feel fine" (yeah, because you're finally on meds), go off the deep end, get medicated, feel better, stop taking them, go back off the deep end, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

You need to respect the choice they make. It's their body, not yours. If they can tough it out, and the acute illness resolves without meds, good for them. It's so much better than those, at the first sign of a runny nose, who run to the doc and demand antibiotics. It's a common cold. The magical antibiotic won't help you.

I agree 100%. My dad was the sort who stopped taking his stuff because he felt “fine”, after he passed, we saw all the stuff he wasn’t taking.

I respect people not taking a medication. But sometimes there’s just no reason not to pop an ibuprofen.

I also agree about the antibiotics, I don’t go get some unless I’m positive that it’ll be worth helping and not “just because”, like a lung or a serious sinus infection.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Or how about one of those who gets an antibiotic or med that is supposed to be taken for 10 days? After 5 days or so they feel better so they quit taking the rest of the Rx. Then they get pissed off when they get sick again. I have several family members that do that all the time.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Or how about one of those who gets an antibiotic or med that is supposed to be taken for 10 days? After 5 days or so they feel better so they quit taking the rest of the Rx. Then they get pissed off when they get sick again. I have several family members that do that all the time.

The whole “antibiotic resistance” reason too...

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

Another huge pet peeve of mine. How many times have I seen folks come in having a cold and took some leftover abx from prior illness. Not only that but oftentimes the prior illness was completely different, e.g., bladder infection (UTI). Doctors prescribing abx inappropriately, and patients misusing them is a major problem contributing to abx resistance.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
abx resistance.

Yet another TLA to file away and remember. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Also keep in mind that with the elderly many times the side effects of drugs are exacerbated. I’ve personally seen this with my parents.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'm not to that level, but I am a bit picky about what medication I take, even OTC stuff. Most multi-symptom cough/cold medication includes decongestant stimulants, like pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine, which make me feel jittery.

Dude! Check out the OTC brand Coricidin HBP. They don’t have those nasty pseudo and phenyl meds. Wallymart, Wallygreens, etc all carry Coricidin HBP.

I highly recommend this stuff. It’s normally marketed to those with high blood pressure, but in your case, it’ll do you good.

Coricidin HBP

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I respect peoples decision to not take meds until the complain about the symptom it would help with.

Then I just think "dumbass...."

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'm not to that level, but I am a bit picky about what medication I take, even OTC stuff. Most multi-symptom cough/cold medication includes decongestant stimulants, like pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine, which make me feel jittery.

Dude! Check out the OTC brand Coricidin HBP. They don’t have those nasty pseudo and phenyl meds. Wallymart, Wallygreens, etc all carry Coricidin HBP.

I highly recommend this stuff. It’s normally marketed to those with high blood pressure, but in your case, it’ll do you good.

Coricidin HBP

Whoever in marketing that came up with that name is brilliant and deserves all the riches. They made it sound like it's the only available cough med on the market that folks with HBP can take, when Robitussin DM or Mucinex DM does exactly the same. The active ingredients in these 3 specific meds are the same: Guaifenesin as an expectorant, and Dextromethorphan as a cough suppressant. There are no other active ingredients in them. Most patients with HBP will not know. All they know is what they see on TV commercials, so, to them, the only cough med that's safe is Coricidin HBP.

In fact, they don't even need these brand name meds. All they need is a generic cough med that contains just guaifenesin and dextromethorphan, and nothing else, and they're gtg.

Q

Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I respect peoples decision to not take meds until the complain about the symptom it would help with.

Then I just think "dumbass...."

A big +1 for this.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Old ppls logic is comprised of what they grew up with I guess.
Changing of times & being up on all the "new" understandings were not possible for my folks .
Teaching an old dog new tricks comes to mind.
My folks were really really stuck in allot of weird beliefs, understandings.
They suffered needlessly and it hurt me to see. But to cause them more strife wasn't gonna help anything.
I'll probably be the same but in a different way.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Another huge pet peeve of mine. How many times have I seen folks come in having a cold and took some leftover abx from prior illness. Not only that but oftentimes the prior illness was completely different, e.g., bladder infection (UTI). Doctors prescribing abx inappropriately, and patients misusing them is a major problem contributing to abx resistance.

I foolishly did that, stopped taking them early and got C-Dif.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
My Dad wouldn't go to the doctor because the Doc would tell him he was sick and prescribe meds. By staying home he killed two birds with one stone, no Doc, no meds. He died at 72.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Hey, I'll be 72 in a couple of months. I'm ready to die, I think. And I hate taking meds. Not that I get out of it. Every single day I take 7 different pills. Don't think any do much good, but it keeps my wife from bitching. I'm fairly open about it. When my doc prescribes another, I ask which I can quit taking. 'Cause I'm not increasing the number per day. Well, 'cept for the nitro I keep in my front left pocket. I don't consider it meds, its pain suppression at its best. Big Grin

I just think doctors (and pharmacists, not to leave Shugart out) like prescribing stuff to make you think they're doing something. Worse than pills are shots. Those inflict immediate pain with little if any improvement in your condition. Doesn't help my wife's a nurse and they love to inflict pain, particularly on their helpless husbands. I can't imagine how anyone could be a heroin addict.

I don't mind taking bourbon. Or even its milder cousin, beer. There you see instant improvement in your condition. Drink a 6 pack and you feel really good. Put away 12 and and its happy time!

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I know some people love to take meds and think it is the answer to everything.
Got a problem - take a pill.
It is a crutch.

I for one hate to have to take meds.
To me it is an attempt to fix something that should have not happened in the first place.
I know that is not the complete story but my general thought.
However, I do reluctantly and religiously take the meds (cholesterol, BP, prostrate) but have the hopes to get off someday, some time.
Alternative progress in better diet and exercise seems a good start.
YMMV

Drugs are baaaddd, MMMMMKAY. Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post