SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Selling stuff on line
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling stuff on line Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
Two episodes this week, buyers have flaked on me. Ask your fucking questions BEFORE you say "I'll take it" and pay me; not after the fact.

It's not like we have a language problem.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On this site?

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
On this site?

Hopefully not. Online sales (other than here) are hit or miss for me. Craigslist is the worst. Obviously, it depends on what you are selling, but most of the "yard sale stuff" goes directly to the Purple Heart these days. Way less aggravation.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I don't even bother unless it's somewhat local. I definitely won't ship anything.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
On this site?

Once on this site and once on an automotive site.

I don't fault the guy here, relatively new member and we have all leaped before we looked at times.

Just a PITA relisting and refunding.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
I don't even bother unless it's somewhat local. I definitely won't ship anything.

I was trying to give away a few items locally and people wanted me to ship them on my dime.

WTF??

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Can I have my money back before I buy it?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Can I have my money back before I buy it?

For you, sure thing!

RMD

Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I have had stellar success here on Sigforum. Quality sellers and buyers. I can't tell you how many times I've had them ship the item before I got payment in the mail.

And the vendors here care about their business and their customers.

Other sites, not so much. Backpage is great. Especially the prospective purchasers. If you can get past the tire-kickers and vermin. I've done a lot of good deals, but the vermin I weed out fairly quickly.

FAQ:

Q: I really want it. Will you hold it for me for three weeks until I have the money?

A: Sure. Drop off your 90% non-refundable deposit by sundown.

Q: Would you trade for 2 SCCY’s, a Bryco/Jennings/Jiminez, a RIA, a non-working Hi-Point and an SKS?

A: Um, no. I suppose if I needed a collection of throw-downs, I’d be interested. But since it looks like you’ll be bringing your own to the shooting, I’m good.

Q: Can you take several dozen pictures detailing all wear and the current condition of the finish, bore, chamber, sights, stock and fore-end, and e-mail them all to me?

A: The pictures you see are the ones that will either prompt you to set up a meet to view it - or fade into obscurity. Which is what Backpage flake COD fantasy warriors typically do. However, if you really need them, we can meet up and you can pay me a $100 “photography” fee. If you like the photographs I send a few days later, we can set up a meet for you to actually view it.

Q: Would you take (enter lowball offer here) for it? (Also known as “This is what my entitlement mindset ass thinks I should be able to pay for it”.)

A: No. The price posted is the acceptable price. Unlike most sellers that buffer in a de-escalation price above their acceptable price to allow buyers with exceptionally small appendages to brag “They wanted $$, but I talked him down to $”, I prefer to weed them out completely from transactions so I don’t have to deal with them. Also known as the “No haggle price” because if they need to haggle to feel like they bested someone – they can keep their egos on the curb. I prefer not to sell a firearm to someone with that exhibited chest-thumper mentality. I’ve done my homework on price. Bottom line, you wouldn’t be contacting me if you thought you could get one for less somewhere else.

Q: But XYZ will sell me one for $$.

A: Then get it and cease troubling me.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:

Q: But XYZ will sell me one for $$.

A: Then get it and cease troubling me.

One of my favorite. Uhhh well if you know you can get it for that price from that person then why are you even bothering with mine?

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
All the deals on this site 100%, GB also 100% but a local forum not so much. I have sold on eBay since 1998 and I find it's more of a hit or miss these days. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
As an individual who sells a lot of Handmade goods on line, I have been blown away by what people will ask. In one sentence I can say " I'll sell you "x" and it is only available one way, and even though it is in print in front of their eyes, they want something totally different. Can you change this or that. I get we all WANT, but damn, cannot you read or heed something that's right in your face!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Sigh.

BTDT on all of the above.

At the moment, I have a feller with a "wood fired restaurant in Bar Harbor" that claims he's going to show up and haul off all 7 cords of my seasoned hardwood firewood.

With a U-Haul.

It could happen, but I'm betting it's a trailer, not a particularly big one, and one, maybe two trips will disabuse him of that notion.

Pay per load, by actual measurement, Scooter.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You should see the idiots on these Facebook Yardsale sites which are great when people don't act like douchebags but aren't when they do:

You post an item for sale locally and clearly spell out the price and that you are willing to meet LOCALLY.

Yet you'll still get morons asking you "how much is it?" "Can you deliver it to me in Town XYZ 45 miles away?" "I'll give you $(1/4 the stated, firm price)"
Roll Eyes

The best is when you have someone that does an "I'll take it" then proceeds to go radio silent for DAYS and will NOT respond to you...so you move on to the next person after a reasonable time. Then suddenly person #1 is all up your ass and blasting you on FB why you're such a bad person and how they were supposed to get the item, etc.

I swear people get their jollies playing games like this. Confused

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post