SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Things ruined by political correctness.

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Things ruined by political correctness. Login/Join 
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted
Bought a CD once with this song on it. Second verse was nowhere to be heard.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
There is a rock station here in MN that still plays that song (full version), Lou Reeds "Walk on the Wild Side" too.

I have to wonder how much longer that will last.

ETA - what's funny, is that the Straits's song in in no way anti-gay. The word faggot is not really even used in a "gay way". The song was written during the 80's and the whole M-TV phenomena.

"Men" were dressing in spandex, wearing makeup, etc.

EDIT -

Now I am fucking pissed -

Will Dire Straits' F-word be heard again on KQRS?

In April when I interviewed Wilkes about the strain between Barnard and longtime morning sidekick Terri Traen, now on another show, I asked the station’s boss about the Dire Straits song.

“That’s in that song?” said Wilkes with genuine surprise in her voice. “I’m not familiar with it but I’ll check. I will absolutely check into that.”

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
See, back when Janis Joplin and Mick Jagger were topping the charts, they could say anything they wanted.

You can't censor what you can't decipher.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The uncut, uncensored version of "Who are You" has the F word twice - only heard on Sirius or the album.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Report This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Good answer, Chuck.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Report This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Life, in general.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember many years ago when we had our first Politically Correct re-education class at work.
I challenged just about everything they said. Finally they asked me not to comment anymore. I walked out of the meeting. They sent my supervisor to go retrieve me. As I saw him coming, I went to the restroom. He told me if I did not come back that he would stop my pay for the day. I told him that is was okay with me as I had more important things to do at home that listen to this B.S. He told me it was the future. I asked if he was okay with this shit and he said, no, but we have to play the game. I said if we put our foot down now, and do not accept this, maybe it will go away. I am not going to sit there and let them tell me that this or that is WRONG to say or do when it is NOT WRONG to say or do.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

Spot on.

We do not have to play the game.

We have to die. That is all we have to do.

Everything else is choice.

If more were willing to put a foot down, most of the silly crap and a good bit of the evil stuff would cease.

And, I have been singed in the flashback more times than I care to count.

But I rather have my self respect, and eat baloney sandwiches than eat steak with the taste of boot leather on my toungue.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
^^You're overcooking them^^

In total agreement with Chuck. It ruins everything.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post