SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bait and switch advertising in the gun world
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bait and switch advertising in the gun world Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
What do you think comes with this package deal by reading the description?

https://uspatriotarmory.com/hi...nd-glock-19-kit.html

I just got off the phone with them and when I asked what model RMR comes with the gun the man on the phone said “oh it’s not a real Trijicon RMR..just something to have on there when it ships”

What does that even mean. So it’s not a real RMR like the one pictured on the website? Ps: RMR is a trademarked name for Trijicon’s ruggedized miniature red dot. It’s doesnt mean that the Burris Fastfire or the Leopold DeltaPoint are also “RMR’s.” Trijicon would frown on that.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Aside from the seller's intentional (or not) reference to the Trijicon "RMR", there is language in the product description that states, "RED DOT SIGHT GIVEN IS THE ONE IN THE LISTING PICTURE." The pic is obviously NOT a Trijicon RMR.

Aside from that, I'm interested in knowing YOUR INTEREST in purchasing and building a "High End GLOCK" from "kit" (e.g. non-serialized/non-tracible handgun)??? Roll Eyes

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
If it really bothers you, and RMR is actually a Trijicon trademark, then simply notify Trijicon, and their lawyers will start action to protect the trademark.

Some folks here have expressed problems in the past with big companies trying to protect their trademarks, when little companies are using them, but it's what needs to be done, unless the corporation wants to risk losing the trademark.

Companies aren't being jerks when they try to protect their trademarks, they are simply eng they protect their business.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
So JRC your contention that this sight pictured is not a Trijicon RMR...the one with Trijicon serial nunber and RM07 stamped on it? RM07 is a Trijicon RMR model number.

It sure looks a lot like this Trijicon RMR RM06 that currently resides on my gun

I could give a shit about a ghost gun. I just wanted he upper and RMR. I was actually gonna karma off the polymer80 lower here as I already have 3 G19 stripper lowers waiting to be built.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
If it really bothers you, and RMR is actually a Trijicon trademark, then simply notify Trijicon, and their lawyers will start action to protect the trademark.

Some folks here have expressed problems in the past with big companies trying to protect their trademarks, when little companies are using them, but it's what needs to be done, unless the corporation wants to risk losing the trademark.

Companies aren't being jerks when they try to protect their trademarks, they are simply eng they protect their business.

What bothers me is them being sneaky advertising a Trijicon RMR and sending you a $50 Chinese clone.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Agree if they are advertising a Trijicon it should ship with one, go to the link, click on the image of the gun and then you can hit a + icon on the page and zoom in, Clearly a Trijicon RM07

Posts: 23375 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one you get may say Trijicon, but it might not be real.

If you go to Ebay there are all kinds of fake Trijicon sights. They look just like the real thing, they even say Trijicon on them.

I was checking prices before I bought a used one and couldn't believe they are getting away with this.

It sounds like Trijicon doesn't really care. I went to their website to try to confirm mine authentic and they said they would not confirm authenticity without having the actual sight in their possession.

Product Authenticity

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
They absolutely care, and it's ridiculous to say they don't. Hell, the link provided shows they care. They are absolutely right to refuse to authenticate any sight without actually being able to examine it, and they do that precisely because they do care about getting it right.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They absolutely care, and it's ridiculous to say they don't. Hell, the link provided shows they care. They are absolutely right to refuse to authenticate any sight without actually being able to examine it, and they do that precisely because they do care about getting it right.

Sorry I wasn't very clear.

I don't think they care in that there is still fraudulent stuff all over ebay and elsewhere. If they're actively combatting fraud they're not being effective as I don't see near the fake stuff out there being blatantly sold from other manufacturers. That statement appears to be a CYA technique.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
quote:

I don't think they care in that there is still fraudulent stuff all over ebay and elsewhere.

What and how would Trijicon stop and prevent such a thing?

It's "all over", because people buy it.

There was a time that existed the "black market", the "grey market", and now the "uncontrolled market".

Used to be that people purchased from authorized distributors, and most people would shun anything sold outside of the controlled distribution channels.

We the consumer, have a lot of ourselves to blame in such things, and to simply brush that aside and point a finger at the manufacturer is crass.

The product that is most desirable, high dollar is going to be "counterfeited" more than the less desired or lower cost item.

Counterfeiters do not counterfeit $1 bills, they go for $20s and $100s. The first, because less scrutiny, and the latter because of bigger "ROI".

Trijicon is a hot ticket item.

And to the OP, yeah, I would take it that the item listed/advertised is the item to purchase, unless a disclaimer (which is customary) were included.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43860 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
quote:

I don't think they care in that there is still fraudulent stuff all over ebay and elsewhere.

What and how would Trijicon stop and prevent such a thing?

It's "all over", because people buy it.

There was a time that existed the "black market", the "grey market", and now the "uncontrolled market".

Used to be that people purchased from authorized distributors, and most people would shun anything sold outside of the controlled distribution channels.

We the consumer, have a lot of ourselves to blame in such things, and to simply brush that aside and point a finger at the manufacturer is crass.

The product that is most desirable, high dollar is going to be "counterfeited" more than the less desired or lower cost item.

Counterfeiters do not counterfeit $1 bills, they go for $20s and $100s. The first, because less scrutiny, and the latter because of bigger "ROI".

Trijicon is a hot ticket item.

And to the OP, yeah, I would take it that the item listed/advertised is the item to purchase, unless a disclaimer (which is customary) were included.

I would think they could contact Ebay about fraudulent material being sold on their site and/or the seller that the OP cited and do the same. Threaten legal action, that seems to make these sellers take notice.

I think that any unauthorized use of your brand just breeds more, and that's why companies are so seemingly vicious when it comes to trademark infringement and the like.

I didn't do an exhaustive search, but I don't see knockoff Aimpoint and Burris sights out there in the sheer amount that I see Trijicon sights.

This just came to my attention recently when I was buying a used MRO. I was searching for comp prices on used ones and of course ended up on Ebay. I couldn't figure out how some were so cheap, but yet they are being advertised as Trijicon and are even branded as such.

I think they could and should be a little more proactive in shutting these sellers down.

***edited to add, the seller on Ebay has removed Trijicon from his titles, but the sight itself still says Trijicon. I decided to send the link to the one on Ebay and the one in the OP to Trijicon so they can do what they need.***

Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

If you haven't purchased it, stay clear of this company as I believe they are misleading their customers at best and running a scam at worst.

If you've already purchased this, make a copy of the Advertisement and dispute the purchase thru your credit card company.

The ad states RMR, a trademarked item without it being supplied no payment.

Be willing to return the item when the seller provides a pre-paid (insured with tracking) return shipping label and appropriate packaging materials.

Depending on your state, there might be additional consumer protections available to you for false advertising, deceptive sales practices, bait & switch.

Posts: 2854 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I didn’t buy it. I called first to inquire which RMR which is when I was told that it wasnt a ”real” RMR....I mean that would be crazy.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Add the "All parts and products in our store are manufactured in the USA" bullshit line, I would stay WAY clear of them.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3640 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post