SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New Jersey Gun Logic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Jersey Gun Logic Login/Join 
posted
So a friend of mine that lives in south Jersey came out to visit last weekend. I live near Indianapolis.

The subject that I own "a gun" came up, and I responded that I own "several" with the exact count uncertain (it is, I'd have to take inventory).

She said she thinks guns are dangerous. I said "If they weren't dangerous, there wouldn't be much use for them, would there?"

And she said, as long as she doesn't see one it's OK. I replied, an unloaded firearm is a mechanical device that is completely safe and will not do any harm, ever, until it is loaded, chambered, and the trigger is pulled. She said, she knows but she doesn't want to see one.

I am at a loss to understand the irrational fear of inanimate objects, especially when they in a completely safe condition.

And then later on we watched JOHN WICK 2 with more than 100 very stylistic kills - including 3 with a PENCIL!

Such is the reality of the blue state brainwashed....

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am at a loss to understand the irrational fear of inanimate objects, especially when they in a completely safe condition.

I am not saying it is a phobia, but it could be. Leave it alone. You cannot cure irrational fears with logic.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
My relatively new daughter in law has on several occasions stated no one needs a gun, even though my son has several. About a month ago a young thug broke into a home near them and the homeowner held him at gunpoint until the PD arrived. He had a record including assault, attempted rape and burglary.

Her opinion has changed and she has taken a firearms handling course and been to the range with my son quite a few times. She has become quite proficient. Another satisfied customer.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, she also disagreed with "lifetime" carry permits, saying they should be renewed every few years - in case the permit holder did something wrong.

I said that the gov't and police know I have a carry permit and if I ever do something that would violate the permit, they would suspend or revoke it and send me notice, following due process.

Having to periodically renew a "shall issue" permit when there is nothing to justify denying it is a waste of time.

It's like the brainwashed think a CC permit card is absolute and cannot be suspended or revoked if there is ever a reason to, except at renewal.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Lefty:
Don't stick your "dyck" in crazy.....all evidence indicates her condition.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4570 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, guns are evil. Period. Nothing you can say or do will make me change my mind. Sigh.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Here's a helpful resource:

Raging Against Self Defense:
A psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality

http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/ra...ainstselfdefense.htm

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
So a friend of mine that lives in south Jersey came out to visit last weekend. I live near Indianapolis.

The subject that I own "a gun" came up, and I responded that I own "several" with the exact count uncertain (it is, I'd have to take inventory).

She said she thinks guns are dangerous. I said "If they weren't dangerous, there wouldn't be much use for them, would there?"

And she said, as long as she doesn't see one it's OK. I replied, an unloaded firearm is a mechanical device that is completely safe and will not do any harm, ever, until it is loaded, chambered, and the trigger is pulled. She said, she knows but she doesn't want to see one.

And then later on we watched JOHN WICK 2 with more than 100 very stylistic kills - including 3 with a PENCIL!

She must live in a pretty populated town. Unlike North Jersey there are an awful lot of people that own guns in south Jersey. Until things got crazy in the early 90's, a shotgun in the window of a pickup truck was a common site. We are red in the southern part of the state. I hope she left thinking owning a firearm is okay.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:

She must live in a pretty populated town. Unlike North Jersey there are an awful lot of people that own guns in south Jersey. Until things got crazy in the early 90's, a shotgun in the window of a pickup truck was a common site. We are red in the southern part of the state. I hope she left thinking owning a firearm is okay.

She lives in the Philly suburbs...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:

There are a fair amount in north NJ also. ~50% of the people i work with are gun owners. Run the the gamut from precision 22 target, to hunters, to "I just like to shoot".

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone in my family knows I am always armed (except when flying, which is why I usually drive). I grew up shooting. My Dad, brothers, & sister all have guns (although only 1 carries on occasion)

My Mother has no issues with us shooting & having guns but she has a very vivid imagination & she visualizes people being dead & will literally make herself nauseous. Same reason she won't go to war museums. I have never seen her hold a gun, but I do know she got the shotgun out one night when there were 2 strange men on her property when she was home alone. She thinks they were going to steal something from the barn. She called the cops.
So sometimes it's not that people are actually anti-gun. I do believe my Mom is glad that I always carry.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Not seeing reality does not prevent reality from existing anymore than putting a bag over your head turns you invisible.

As Americans, we have the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution does not say "keep but hide arms from people who might be scared or offended by seeing them."

The British Army didn't want to see colonials guns either, that's why they marched through Lexington Green to Concord (to get to colonial powder stores in Concord). Many people forget the act that kicked off the American revolution was a British attempt at gun control.

By "see" your friend may mean, "as long as I don't personally encounter one" but she does not have the right to not visually encounter guns.

I occasionally have guests whose politics do not line up with mine exactly. I also do not leave firearms out, unsecured. However, should someone be a guest in my house and find me wearing/cleaning/working on a firearm, and give me this "I don't want to see..." line, well, I live here, the guns live here, you don't.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Take her to the gun range per the NRA's request and educate her?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post