SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Insurance stupidity #?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insurance stupidity #? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Just got around to changing my address for our vehicles after moving.

My weekly commute is zero miles on my personal vehicle.

Wife's weekly commute is 50 miles, maybe.

Both vehicles are garaged. New area has a much lower accident rate and less vehicle break-ins.

New 6 month premium with USAA just went up $90 Mad

WTF. Makes zero sense.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is all about profit. Call and see if they will negotiate.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I am going to call them to see if some of their records need updating.

Almost $900 for two cars, with full coverage, for 6 months.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Different zip codes different rates.

Location 1 in Lawrenceville, GA cost $X/month. Location 2 in Loganville, GA (20 miles between addresses, Loganville was more rural) was $X+$50/month. Location 3 in Newnan, GA (opposite corner of the ATL metro) $X-$50.

No questions asked about miles traveled, work commute was 39/38/41.

Only thing I can figure is the population of the counties, but that makes no sense when location 1 was in Gwinett county.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Age may have something to do with it. My insurance has doubled since I retired & my annual mileage has decreased from 15000 to 4000. Us old farts just can't drive any more even though I still enjoy "ramp racing".

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah I dumped USAA Auto 2 years ago when my son started to drive / need to be insured.

It's like dealing with used Car Salesmen with USAA Auto, so I told them to forget it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I've gotten quotes from USAA several times, they were laughably expensive.

We shop every 3 years or so, sometimes we switch, sometimes not.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
OUCH !

Eek

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
$90 whole dollars?

You mean $15 a month? <$4 week? So, like $.49 per day????? Jesus, you need to kill a bitch.

I'm no fan of insurance carriers, but that is so far down the giveafuckometer you should be able to let it go.

eta - $900 for 2 cars/6 months? You should hunker down and enjoy your success!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12397 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, some of those are pretty salty. Retired, pickup truck and SUV, $600 per year.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Michigan has been under No-Fault since 1973. As part of it we have lifetime medical coverage for injuries in an auto accident. We also get an annual assessment that goes to the Michigan Catastrophic Claims (MCCA) that varies year by year for each registered vehicle in the state, IIRC next year will be about $220 per.

Our Governor (Fix the Damn Roads) Whitmer under pressure from Dan Gilbert (the biggest employer in Downtown Detroit and a big part of the rebirth of downtown)pushed through legislation to allow people to reduce their medical coverage. This is only one part of the problem. With underinsured drivers, passengers and pedestrians with injuries from these underinsured, I can see a rise in Medicaid cases and bills here. Soon taxes will have to be increased to cover these cases, just watch this happen down the road.

In theory, ALL vehicles in the state should have insurance. In urban areas like Detroit, Flint, etc waaaay over half the cars are uninsured, either paying the first payment then letting the policy lapse or using a fake proof of insurance to get their plates. So because of this you have to have Uninsured Motorist Coverage at an additional charge of course.

If your vehicle is damaged in a crash regardless of who is at fault your insurance covers the damage if you have Standard (deductible applies) or Broad Form Coverage (no deductible applies) you are covered. If you have Limited your insurance pays for your damage if you are under 50% at fault less your deductible. Also under Michigan law you can collect from the other driver or their insurance company up to $1000 for your deductible, that is if they have insurance at all. Courts here rarely enforce judgements made, it's a civil matter. One friend has been trying to collect for three years one of these, basically the court say "here's your judgement, now collect if you can". He's retired LEO, he gave up in frustration. So we are forced to carry collision coverage and uninsured motorist coverage and even then it's going to cost you to get your car fixed.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
North Carolina has an elected Insurance Commissioner who is constantly screwing with insurance companies so rates are rarely stable there. When you dick around with what an insurer can charge for, they will find a loophole to stay profitable.

On top of that, the simple fact is the cost to repair cars is going through the roof. Gone are the days of replacing a bumper for under $1,000. Now there are all sorts of sensors and things that have to be replaced.

I drove past a Cadillac dealer the other day and saw their cars and SUVs next to the roads with "sale" signs in the windshields and scarcely any of them were for sale under $70,000. In fact, Cadillac's "self-driving" cars (they really only park themselves) are "no-repair" vehicles. Cadillac requires that damaged parts be stripped off down to undamaged parts and replaced with new parts. You aren't allowed to use reconditioned or repaired parts and maintain the warranty.

So even if you don't own an exorbitantly expensive vehicle, you are more likely to run into one these days.

Fraud is also through the roof. Bump someone in the rear end at a stop light, and they will likely claim all the expensive electronic crap on their dashboard that died two years ago were knocked out by the accident - even though you only left screw marks in the bumper cover. You wouldn't believe the number of people that claim they need new tires, or a new tie-rod, or new transmission because someone dinged them in a parking lot.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
THIS is the reason your rate went up 90 bucks, plain and simple.

All over the country but really bad in the Midwest and Northeast this past year:

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
$90 whole dollars?

You mean $15 a month? <$4 week? So, like $.49 per day????? Jesus, you need to kill a bitch.

I'm no fan of insurance carriers, but that is so far down the giveafuckometer you should be able to let it go.

And many of us are watching every penny these days. 90 bucks here and 90 bucks there really adds up. I'm glad you don't think it's a big deal, yay for you. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33755 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Change your address back, select electronic billing Big Grin

Posts: 23380 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
THIS is the reason your rate went up 90 bucks, plain and simple.

All over the country but really bad in the Midwest and Northeast this past year:

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
$90 whole dollars?

And many of us are watching every penny these days. 90 bucks here and 90 bucks there really adds up. I'm glad you don't think it's a big deal, yay for you. Roll Eyes

That, too. Forgot about that. That's a big cause, too.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post