SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Custom Car TV Shows Milking Drama
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Car TV Shows Milking Drama Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
You ended the segment before the commercial with a dramatic problem, when you come back from the advert you don't need to do a review or rehash of the problem before showing me the solution. If you didn't lose me during the ad and I channel surfed to bikini mud rassling, I remember the contrived problem when the program resumes.

You made the show boring by stretching 15 minutes of programming into a 30 minute show. That means you are lazy and are inconsiderate of wasting viewers time. Many wildlife, nature and exploration TV shows do the same thing.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
You could expand that to TV in general and not be far off.

That and commercials is why I almost never watch TV.

Thank goodness for Netflix and Amazon Prime.

And SIGforum, of course...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It seems like all "reality" shows do this, it is annoying as all hell which is why I don't watch any of them.

Its all so damn fake and BS, always some impossible deadline, coworker drama, etc. If this is how any of them really do business then I wouldn't ever buy or hire any of them for anything

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I was watching a show called Outback Truckers on Netflix. It's about truck drivers in Australia.

Somebody "almost dies" 30 times per episode, not to mention every other "potential catastrophe" that never happens.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have a similar beef with most of the shows on Investigation Discovery. They take a commercial break, then spend the next 10 minutes of the next segment recapping what happened in the previous one. The only one I have found that I really like is Homicide Hunter. I don't care for most of those other custom car shows either. One called Fantomworks is pretty good, much closer to reality than most of them.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I was watching a show called Outback Truckers on Netflix. It's about truck drivers in Australia.

Somebody "almost dies" 30 times per episode, not to mention every other "potential catastrophe" that never happens.

That is because truck driving isn't actually entertaining to watch. It is merely hours of sitting there. They have to do something to punch up watching some guy sit in a fairly comfy seat for hours on end. No offense to any truck drivers - my grandfather was one - but it isn't action-packed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

That is because truck driving isn't actually entertaining to watch. It is merely hours of sitting there. They have to do something to punch up watching some guy sit in a fairly comfy seat for hours on end. No offense to any truck drivers - my grandfather was one - but it isn't action-packed.

It's much as I've heard flying described: "Hours and hours of mind-numbing boredom interspersed with moments of sheer terror."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Curse of Oak Island:
Here is a hole... Should we dig in it?
Consult several experts about the hole.
No one really knows about the hole. Lets dig!
There is something in the hole! What is it?
Commercials plural.
There was a piece of wood in the hole!
Tune in next week! We look at the hole again.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Gold Rush. I hate that show (but still watch it). I think there is only about 10-15 minutes of content, the rest is commercials, previews of what is coming, and recaps of what just happened.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
When watching Ice Road Truckers I always wondered why, despite having g numerous cameras mounted to their rigs, the audience never once saw an incident occur in real time. It was always a sudden cut with catastrophic noises. When we returned from the commercial break, it would be something like a flat tire. Maybe there would be a rig falling through the ice. But that was so rare. And the drama between drivers! So lame.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I watched a car show that has little contrived drama and a minimal amount of teasers and rehash. Graveyard cars. I really like the show because the star is so knowledgeable and a nut. Even though I'm not a real Mopar fan, he's funny and so good at explaining details.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fan of Wheeler Dealers WITH Edd, not without.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Gold Rush. I hate that show (but still watch it). I think there is only about 10-15 minutes of content, the rest is commercials, previews of what is coming, and recaps of what just happened.

I actually like those stupid shows. However, I have started watching them on-demand a few days after they air. That way I can fast-forward through the commercials. (and there are a LOT of them)

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
Fan of Wheeler Dealers WITH Edd, not without.

Yes!

Even still I record the shows and skip the commercials and most of the bits with Mike. I don't need to hear him "haggle". Edd made the show.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boyd Coddington's American HoRod was all Drama. I had a love hate relationship with it. The tensions probably hastened his demise? As a painter, I could not work in that shop. I miss old Boyd, may he RIP.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
When watching Ice Road Truckers I always wondered why, despite having g numerous cameras mounted to their rigs, the audience never once saw an incident occur in real time. It was always a sudden cut with catastrophic noises. When we returned from the commercial break, it would be something like a flat tire. Maybe there would be a rig falling through the ice. But that was so rare. And the drama between drivers! So lame.

When there was likely danger of falling through, the cameraman right next to the rig didn't seem worried.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]I have a similar beef with most of the shows on Investigation Discovery. They take a commercial break, then spend the next 10 minutes of the next segment recapping what happened in the previous one.

I found that very annoying as well. Not every American has CRS or is so under the influence they cant remember what happened three minutes ago. Maybe they are targeting a specific audience that needs those helpful recaps. I guess we are all so accustomed to instant replay that we are lost if we cannot see it again. Just sayin.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Edd made the show.

Wait, what? Past tense?
Edd's not still there?
(Yeah, I haven't watched in a while.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Another thing: Almost all of those custom cars that West Coast Customs builds for its big-name customers actually stay with West Coast Customs. It's all a sham. And regular customers get shunted aside for the televised builds. I once tried to have an albeit small project done with them and they told me they could do it in a few months once the season stopped filming.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I actually like those stupid shows. However, I have started watching them on-demand a few days after they air. That way I can fast-forward through the commercials. (and there are a LOT of them)

I never watch live TV I just record it. I can watch an episode of Gold Rush in 30 minutes by fast forwarding through previews, recaps, and commercials.

I do like the show, it's a love hate relationship. I would like to see the entire season condensed into about six episodes.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post