SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Question: What goes "13, 14, 15, ..." Really Loud?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question: What goes "13, 14, 15, ..." Really Loud? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Answer: V-Tail, standing in the express checkout line behind somebody who can't count to ten.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It's really kind of funny. They get all pissed off, as if I am the one who is being an inconsiderate asshole.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You're not being inconsiderate...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
You're not being inconsiderate...
Of course not. I am just helping her count. It's pretty clear that she is the product of schools that are weak on teaching arithmetic.

I did explain that if she ran out of fingers before she ran out of items, she was in the wrong checkout line. That didn't go over too well, either.

I told the cashier that it was a good thing that I did not have his job. I would probably last about ten minutes, if that, before I got fired. I would say something like "which ten items do you want?"

They need new software for the cash registers, they need to lock up when ten items have been rung up.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I did something similar once. Lady in front of me had over 30 items. As she was ringing out she leaned back and said she did not realize she had that many groceries. I told her that was OK, in that there was a $10/extra item penalty payable to everyone in line behind her.

After she left I asked the cashier why she did not call her out and she said they are not allowed to do so.

So VTail, like you I probably would not last long as a cashier.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was walking past a tall wooden fence the other day, you know the kind you see outside a building site. As I walked along beside it I heard chanting coming from behind the fence further up... they were chanting numbers, or rather just one number.

"Thirteen, thirteen, thirteen, thirteen, ..." they excitedly chanted. It sounded like a small crowd, young and old; men, women and children. All of them saying the same number over and over.

As I approached I saw a small hole in the fence just big enough to look through. The hole was right where the sound appeared to be originating from.

So, with the crowd continuing to chant "... thirteen, thirteen, thirteen, thirteen" and it seeming to become more intense as I leaned down to place my eye at the hole and work out WTF was happening in there.

Just as I put my eye to the hole a small finger like that of a child poked me in the eye and the crowd stared cheered loudly and started chanting again..

"Fourteen, fourteen, fourteen..."

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
That was my first thought, too. An oldie but goodie. I even used it once in The Cat Thread!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I’ve been the guy with more than 12 items before. Come to check out, no one in that line, all others full up, lady waves me to hers. As soon as she starts to check me out others immediately show up. Oh well, next time it will be me behind the deadbeat.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Hah! Same thing happened to me. Once. After that, I confused cashiers by refusing to fall into that trap and stayed in the long line. Wink

It's embarrassing, even it it's not your fault.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
At my store the express line in 15 items. I did a count and had 15 on the nose.
As I'm unloading the cart onto the belt, the guy behind me huffs to his wife in a loud voice, "Some people just can't read!"

I said, "Yeah, no kidding. It's almost as annoying as the people who can't count."

The cashier kept looking down praying that none of this was going to involve her.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
I’ve been the guy with more than 12 items before. Come to check out, no one in that line, all others full up, lady waves me to hers. As soon as she starts to check me out others immediately show up. Oh well, next time it will be me behind the deadbeat.

Ha! I was in a Publix once and had a manager actually send me over to the express line with a semi-full cart. When I got there, the cashier started to give me a hard time before I explained what I was doing there.

I appreciated her attitude, but I bet she didn’t last too long.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Curious: How does one count items?

Bread, milk, yogurt. 3 Items, right?

One loaf of bread, 1 quart of milk, a dozen individual servings of yogurt. 3 items or 14?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

One loaf of bread, 1 quart of milk, a dozen individual servings of yogurt. 3 items or 14?
Carton of eggs = 12 items. No fast lane for you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Carton of eggs = 12 items. No fast lane for you.

Good God! No WONDER I got such dirty looks checking out with a bag of Reeses Pieces! Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I think out Express is 15 or 16. Someone with 18 in the age of scanners takes all of another five seconds. Not worth getting in a huff about.

That's vastly different than 35 or 40.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
I think out Express is 15 or 16. Someone with 18 in the age of scanners takes all of another five seconds. Not worth getting in a huff about.

That's vastly different than 35 or 40.
Fast lane in Publix stores around here is ten items, no checks.

It seems that the jerks who go to the fast lane with way more than ten items have multiple coupons, they stand there in a daze while everything is scanned, then when the total is announced they suddenly realize that they actually need to pay for this stuff and it's now time to start rummaging through that huge purse, looking for -- you guessed it -- a checkbook. And then of course, they need to get into a long drawn out conversation with the cashier.

V-Tail: "Do you think we could slow this down a little? All this speed is making me dizzy."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I know it is not a formal express lane per se but this past weekend I tried to sneak into Wally World via the garden center to grab one item for my daughter (shampoo). When I went to leave there was a woman in front of me who had done, what appeared to be, grocery shopping for a small family and was trying to check out at the tiny ill equipped register. Not only was this an asshole move on her part for both the people behind her and the cashier (who should have sent her away) but who eff wants to put the produce and food on a register where people have been buying bug spray and fertilizer.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The Kroger by me changed the sign to read "around 10 items"

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post