SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People Mean Well But Don't Think....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People Mean Well But Don't Think.... Login/Join 
posted
My sister, who lives in Florida, just sent us a sympathy gift after losing my FIL a few weeks ago...a very nice and appreciated gesture BUT....

For reasons that escape me she sent us a southern magnolia "memory tree" which I am sure if beautiful however they have visited our home more than once, they know we have limited room for landscaping and do not have the room for a tree that requires 15' of space.

I am at a loss and dont wnat to sound ungratful but this sister in particular gets her feeling hurt at the drop of a hat so I need to figure out where to plants this friggin thing and what to tell her.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People never think about the future. My neighbor planted a tree that will have the tree span of 70', 2' off of the road on the street corner.

Plant it in a very large pot, it will grow much smaller and stay that way......bury the pot if you want even in the yard.......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
People never think about the future. My neighbor planted a tree that will have the tree span of 70', 2' off of the road on the street corner.

Plant it in a very large pot, it will grow much smaller and stay that way......bury the pot if you want even in the yard.......

Thanks for the advice, I will suggest tat to my wife. The only other option was to pissible plant it near my pool and I dont need to be picking leaves and seeds out of their on a weekly basis

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
...but this sister in particular gets her feeling hurt at the drop of a hat so I need to figure out where to plants this friggin thing and what to tell her.

That reminded me of the story of the Angel On Top Of The Christmas Tree. Late on the Night Before Christmas, when Santa was exhausted from all the work and had 60 trillion billion presents loaded on his sleigh to be delivered before dawn the next morning, the Angel brought him the Christmas Tree and said, "Santa, where do you want me to put this?"

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Check and see if you can get permission to plant it in a local park. You may also be able to donate a bench near it in his memory.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Plant it in the cemetary in which he is buried along with a plaque stating the tree was planted in your FIL's honor.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Plant it in the cemetary in which he is buried along with a plaque stating the tree was planted in your FIL's honor.

We cremated him and he is currently residing in three urns, one with his wife and the other two with daughters.

We are reaching ot to family to see if anyone has room anywhere for this but in AZ we all have smalish yards that are already fully landscaped.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Swap or trade it for a Betty Magnolia which does not get as big and has white and purple flowers.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Swap or trade it for a Betty Magnolia which does not get as big and has white and purple flowers.

Imight try that but she sent it from some online place in Florida

Just what I need on 12/23, more shit to do!

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Soak the plant ball in Kerosene and just say it died.
You don't ever want that thing to take roots, unless you like to stumble over the roots it put on at lawn mower heights and the thing sheds old foliage 365 days a year.
Those hand grenade berries wreck your mower also.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I don't think they will ship until spring. It is too cold to ship trees across country. Find out the nursery and maybe they have a Betty Magnolia.

45 Cal is right about the Southern Magnolia.....or trash tree. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
My sister, who lives in Florida, just sent us a sympathy gift after losing my FIL a few weeks ago...a very nice and appreciated gesture BUT....

For reasons that escape me she sent us a southern magnolia "memory tree" which I am sure if beautiful however they have visited our home more than once, they know we have limited room for landscaping and do not have the room for a tree that requires 15' of space.

I am at a loss and dont wnat to sound ungratful but this sister in particular gets her feeling hurt at the drop of a hat so I need to figure out where to plants this friggin thing and what to tell her.

I live in South Florida and I can't count the number of intermittent outages palms and/or trees like this cause because folks grow them directly under the primary. They're fine and beautiful when they're first planted but, none of these folks have the foresight to see that they will eventually grow up directly into the power line. You can already see that some have been killed by the primary losing the tops. You can certainly guarantee that after a good rain soak they start to flash to ground, eventually killing the palm. However, in the meantime it can reek havoc on folks on the feeder from the momentary outages and electronic devices and/or appliances. The power company is aware of these trees but do not have access to the backyards of these folks to cut them and pass it on to the customer to do what is necessary..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post