SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Recurve Archer Snobbery
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recurve Archer Snobbery Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
So we're at at JOAD Indoor Nationals today in San Diego. They had a target assignment SNAFU and put a single receive archer on a bale with 3 compound archers, 2 of which are from our team. Different targets and that mix will not fit on a single bale.

No biggie, call a tournament official over to get it straightened out. So I'm there along with the archers and the recurve coach. Recurve coach launches into a diatribe about how compound archers shouldn't even be there as recurve is the pure form of archery, you'll never go to the Olympics, blah, blah, blah

He only had 2 words to say to me when I asked him if he still wrote with a chisel and stone.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
To each their own. No reason everyone needs to like the same thing.

Personally though, I do prefer the more artistic nature of instinctive recurve shooting over the more technical compound with sights.

I was hitting the 10 ring consistently at 20 yards within a week with a compound. With a recurve, even after a year I was still only scoring about 240 at 20. Compound is definitely easier for outdoor courses with varying distance for each target. But I like the feeling of being one with the bow shooting recurve. On good days, it’s a great feeling.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Was the snob accurate about his statement regarding the history of the re-curve?

My recollection from what I have read through the years is that a lot of people used non re-curve bows for a long time before the re-curve.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Maple versus Rosewood
Flatwater versus Whitewater
Kayak versus Canoe
Sail versus Power
Skeet versus Trap

I have experienced that form of "discussion" in pretty much every field of endeavor. For me? The world is a smorgasbord, I let the elitists prattle on about the finer points of their special interest while I enjoy pretty much everything.

Except for the fact that single action only pistols are THE only path to true enlightenment.
Wink

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Was the snob accurate about his statement regarding the history of the re-curve?

My recollection from what I have read through the years is that a lot of people used non re-curve bows for a long time before the re-curve.

had a neighbor that was a competitor with a compound,

he got bored with it and moved on to a recurve and was damn good with it,

he was getting bored with that and had a custom longbow made for him, out of yew iirc,

he was getting almost good with that (his words) when we moved from that area

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Pure form of Archery" , thats a bit of a laugh Smile Next time ask him if carbon/kevlar risers; adiabatic foam core, carbon fiber limbs; 7075 T6 stabilizers; .0002" accurate sight machining; polyolephin strings; and carbon fiber/aluminum hybrid tapered arrows are "Pure Archery".

Ask why he doesn't step up to the line with an Osage, hand tillered American flatbow with deer sinew or hand spun linen string and river cane arrows with flintknapped points.

It's all good in my book. I never understood the snobs.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a dick being a dick. Not much more to it. People will always find ways to make themselves feel better about themselves and their decisions by putting down others.

I'd like to see that guy use a yew English long bow with a 180lb draw weight.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

There used to be an archer here on SIGforum who was somewhat famous in a specialized area of recurve shooting, that is shooting for distance. He made his own bows, and they were widely sought after by archers competing in that specialized sport. He held some world records in the sport. IIRC, he lived in New Mexico, but it has been several years (going on 7-8) since I have seen him post here.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
If they were the same thing there would not be two classes.

If the one and only goal is to put holes in paper choose a rifle. Mastery of the weapon is a worthy goal, choosing less efficient equipment is a worthy pursuit as well.

Yes the guy was being an elitist dick.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:
"Pure form of Archery" , thats a bit of a laugh Smile Next time ask him if carbon/kevlar risers; adiabatic foam core, carbon fiber limbs; 7075 T6 stabilizers; .0002" accurate sight machining; polyolephin strings; and carbon fiber/aluminum hybrid tapered arrows are "Pure Archery".

Ask why he doesn't step up to the line with an Osage, hand tillered American flatbow with deer sinew or hand spun linen string and river cane arrows with flintknapped points.
Ken

And I thought 2000Z's post was confusing. So many technical words!

2000Z needs to pull this move whenever dealing with people:

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
So, archery has Fudds too, eh?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived in Pine Bluff, Arkansas in the mid-60s, home of Ben Pearson. The most spectacularly beautiful bows I've ever seen were the Pearson multi-wood recurves. ..not nearly as easy to shoot as a compound, especially in the higher draw weights, but memorable for their looks and craftsmanship.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recurve-just modern junk, straight bows is where it’s at, Howard Hill is still the king! Now we have a different point of view to argue. I’ve shot them all, each has to be mastered on its own, from my experience the compound us the easiest to master once it is properly tuned.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Pure form of Archery" , thats a bit of a laugh

Ken

Funny. I use a yew longbow I made with Jay St. Charles. I also have two sinew backed bows in the Plains style. The guy that taught me took a Roosevelt Elk with one. He used a stone tipped arrow. We don't need no stinking recurves.
http://www.nwarchery.com/our-history/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I've had the pleasure of watching Bill Darr shoot exhibitions with his bows more than a few times.

(see here: https://www.whipperwilarchery.com/)

Mrs.BurtonRW and I bought bows from him a number of years ago.

Conclusion: He is a demigod when it comes to point-shooting (point-arching?) and Mrs.BurtonRW and I both suck at archery (for lack of proper instruction and practice, no doubt).

Not sure what my point is, but who the hell cares what kind of bow you're using if you can drill arrows into the target at range. Isn't that the point?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Bah. All archers today are fakes. Everyone knows that the atlatl is the only real bow that's ever existed!

Yes, I know an atlatl isn't a bow. The archaeologists swear that it's a predecessor to the bow, though. That's what makes it all old-school legit and stuff.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Bah. All archers today are fakes. Everyone knows that the atlatl is the only real bow that's ever existed!

Yes, I know an atlatl isn't a bow. The archaeologists swear that it's a predecessor to the bow, though. That's what makes it all old-school legit and stuff.

Funny you mention. Darr also crafts atlatls and demos them in his exhibitions (where he has the space). He's damned accurate over ridiculously long distances.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I just had to consider the source. The coach was from a club well known for there obnoxious behavior. I so look forward to dealing with them again next month when they're out here for the Arizona Cup...

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's all good in my book. I never understood the snobs.

Ken

Definitely have to file this for future use...

Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Bashing skulls with a rock, no wait, bare hands that's the proper way.

Whatever methods that provide the level of difficulty that gives you that feeling of success. If you find it necessary to belittle the other mans sport that should be on you not them.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post