SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Second degree burns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Second degree burns Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
Damn I feel stupid. All of my family is on vacation in Florida for the next two weeks, and I've got a long road to recovery.

Monday evening I tried my hand at making pork broth. In my attempts to put results in the fridge, I accidentally dumped it all over myself. I had a friend drive me to the emergency room at 2200 Monday, where they initially sent me home with pain medicine, a bunch of silvadene ointment and gauze bandage rolls.

The final tally: a healthy mix of first and second degree burns spanning a quarter size chunk of my left palm at the base of the thumb, my right forearm, both inner thighs, my groin and the space below my belly button.

The ER doctor told me to follow up in 2-3 days to make sure everything is healing properly and there's no sign of infection, and this is where the story goes a little sideways.

I drove myself to a walk in clinic on Wednesday morning, where they were great but informed me that I should have been sent to wound care at minimum, and tried to call and get me into one. They ended up sending me to the Med (now Regional One), the #1 trauma hospital in the area, where they ended up keeping me overnight.

Got released yesterday after a dressing change, with a wound care appointment for Monday.

As an aside, I'm beyond frustrated with my employment situation. I'm working through a temp agency, and my contact has been pressuring me for a concrete day to come back to work. I had to tell him that while I certainly hope to know more Monday, if it comes down to a choice between my employment and my health I'll find another job.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
That sucks! Eek

Hope you heal up ASAP

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Owwww! Damn that hurts.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Sucks, indeed! Heal up soon!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Ouch! Burns are not good. Hope you heal well.

Your temp gig -- years ago I did software development, contracting through these outfits.

They were all, with one exception, leeches. Disgusting.

The one exception was a very Christian guy who actually practiced what he preached. Very honest, straightforward. I joked with him about Jews and Christians getting along, he had no sense of humor but he told me, "If it weren't for you Jews, there would be no Christians, so we have a special place of honor for you."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I had some 2nd degree burns across my upper back and left arm while in the fire academy many years ago and it was not a fun ordeal. It took a while for the pain and burns to heal but the silvadene helps a lot. Burns on the hands take a little longer to heal as it is a body part that we take for granted and use all of the time. It is frustrating and hope everything works out for you.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Did they ever apply Silvadene ointment to the burns??? I got 2nd degree burns on the bottom of my feet from extremely hot sand (barefooted in a volleyball pit). Went to the ER and they trimmed away all the dead/boiled tissue, applied Silvadene, and wrapped my feet. Was on crutches for about 5 days before putting on shoes again, but that stuff worked GREAT on that raw skin. Healed back to 100% with zero scarring.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the well wishes.

The one on the hand is actually the only one that's about 90% healed. The blister never broke, and they prioritized the stuff on my thighs and arm, so they left it alone. It's all leathery and has slightly decreased sensation now.

VTail, that's about what I expected going in. I suspect I'll be out at least another week (which I'm going to assume they're not going to like), though I guess I'll find out at wound care on Monday. (Hell, I don't like it either. I had to push back a nerve study to figure out why my leg hurts so much.)

erj, they did slather me in Silvadene at the first ER visit and give me a prescription for more. In fact, they kept me an extra 2 hours because they had to have it shipped from another hospital. Hospital #2 gave me different instructions, and given their status as a highly ranked trauma center, I prioritized their way over the other guys.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to give a quick update.

Life is mostly back to normal. Been back at work for about 3 weeks and even had a trip to Alaska last weekend.

I've been instructed to either wear long sleeves or sunscreen whenever I'm in or think I could end up in the sun. Was told 6 months minimum on that.

I'm one visit away from being released from wound care. The concern is that scar tissue could form and limit movement. So far so good on that front; I doubt I'll have an issue.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been instructed to either wear long sleeves or sunscreen whenever I'm in or think I could end up in the sun. Was told 6 months minimum on that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is very important for the long term. Make it a part of your daily routine. Even a little sun is bad for healing burns.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
good to hear you're healing up

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Yup, I'm taking that and the moisturizer routine they gave me super seriously. I carry sunscreen in my bag now, and I have to wear long sleeves at work anyway.

All in all I'm happy to be here. If I'd been just a little bit closer to the fridge when it fell, it could have gotten me in the face and I'd have a whole different set of problems.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, and good luck with putting this behind you fully.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. Spent 5 weeks in a burn unit as a patient. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Keep ointment and dressings applied. Keep skin soft and moving. Sucks pretty bad when it stiffens up. Good advice is to keep some of this around https://www.amazon.com/Water-J...-Burns/dp/B0001KFXCO. Great for minor burns and sun burn. Also comes pre applied to several size dressings. We carry it on our EMS unit. Also keep stretching areas. Stretching your legs and hands. That will keep the skin from tightening. Was about 2 years before I could spend any amount of time in the sun. Mine was mostly grafted.

Posts: 545 | Location: OH | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Hot food is like guns and knives. Let it fall!

Wink

Hope you heal up fast.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Hot food is like guns and knives. Let it fall!

Wink

Hope you heal up fast.

-Rob

I did. That was the problem. I, for some inexplicable reason, thought it would be a good idea to put the pot on top of the fridge because I was worried about accidentally knocking it over or stepping in it if I put it on the floor.

I'm going to chalk it up to sleep deprivation and piss poor timing and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
“Oh JESUS”!

Was my out loud reaction as I read the OP.

Sorry this happened to you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post