SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Proposed gravel quarry near my property.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proposed gravel quarry near my property. Login/Join 
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Thanks Southfloridalaw, will check out the link.

This company will not be hiring any "local" workers. It will not bring the county anything, except tax money. The county won't even be getting any of the gravel!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:

......This will be a big concern for the county. I am not sure they can maintain the county road (and a bridge) with that much traffic, especially after it rains or snows, it will be a muddy mess. It is also the only access to the area. We will be requesting that the county or state do a traffic study, and certify the bridge will be able to handle the increased traffic.

As the county road sits now, with just local traffic, it is always rutted. The county brings out a grader, perhaps once every 2-3 months, and re-crowns it, sprinkling a little gravel here or there. It also sits on an old railroad grade, so sharp rocks and railroad spikes are always puncturing tires. I would imagine with 130+ big trucks a day, the county would have to re-grade at least once a week. Very doubtful that would happen. I have thought that maybe this company will offer to pave it, but the cost of paving 8 miles of road will be high (millions of $).

If the roads near them are gravel expect them to try to alleviate your (and the County's) fear by offering some free gravel. That's what the quarry I referenced apparently does a few times a year after the 2 mile section of dirt/gravel road gets pretty bad. But I know what you mean about dust because in the dry Summer the trees along that road are often white with dust. The worst damage occurs to the paved road (after they turn off the gravel road) simply because that road was originally just a dirt road (probably a deer path before that) which was paved over so it wasn't ever designed as a heavy duty road to carry all that heavy truck traffic. The State repaves, it worsens after one year, after two it's really getting broken up but the State doesn't have the resources to repave it every two years we're lucky if they do it every 8-10 years.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Here is a short list of every group you should contact. You need to get them and every environmental splinter group up to speed on the project and get them involved.

https://www.outsideonline.com/...-donate-better-world

If you are lucky they or one of the groups will file the injunctions and lawsuits, on their dime, making you the plaintiff in the case. Downside, if it is a "job creator" for the area, you may not be the most popular person in town.

The towns in the documentary I mentioned split because of the sand mines and everybody is pissed at the other side. People that didn't have jobs and now have jobs, people that bought homes overlooking farmland that now over look an open pit mine, dust, truck traffic, blasting starts at 7am.

I really hope something works out in your favor. I'm sure you would have done things differently if you had known this would happen.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Noise during working hours is likely a not-starter, I doubt there are noise ordinances in the county.

There are OSHA dust limits that should apply to wind-borne dust leaving the site, and I think you could extend to dust raised by their trucks.

I'd make sure there is adequate groundwater monitoring in place (as in, make lots of comments on any and all of their filings) prior to the quarry starting, and ask lots of questions about what sort of blasting materials they might use.

Perchlorate contamination of groundwater due to blasting is a real thing. There are options to use, but no reason not to raise it as a concern.

good luck in your fight.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t know how many miles away it was but a quarry opened where I grew up and when they were blasting it shook our house.

All the traffic and noise concerns you note will be a major issue but this will be the worst. Every shot they fire at the quarry will be a groundshaker from only 5,000 feet away. I lived much further than that from a small quarry years ago and could feel them as a low resonance, but in that close I can't imagine it won't rattle the plates, and every part of your home.

Sorry you're having to deal with this, but sounds like you and others are doing all you can. Good luck!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Search what endangered species are native to your state online. Should be able to find descriptors of habitat range. Have a tracking party and try to find signs and photographs of any relevant creatures.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Another Commissioner meeting today, nothing on the table. I did speak with the road and bridge dept today, they aren't happy with the situation. So far, the company has not re applied for a Conditional Use Permit with the county, but I am sure they will. My letter to the State has been received, and I expect a call with them tomorrow.

I finally broke down and cried tonight. It has been coming. So much frustration. I am still fighting. I must. Thank you all.

Eta: Thanks for the info on perchlorates FD. I will be requesting, should the permit go thru, a pre and post blast inspection, and setting up of decibel, seismic, and percussive (blast wave) meters.

Mike

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Hang in there man. This place is a like brotherhood, we are with you. Best of luck in your fight. It will be no doubt a long and stressful one.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
If you are on well water, maybe use that as leverage. Make sure they have studies showing that no changes will happen to the aquifer.

Test your water chemistry and water levels before they begin working and maybe you'll have data to cause problems for them later on if not stop them beforehand...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
It has been awhile since I have posted about this, not a whole lot going on.

I have been attending county commissioner meetings every week. The company, at the request of the commissioners, will need to file a new conditional use permit, and as of yet, they have not. They have filed for an extension with the state, but the state is waiting on the CUP also. So, everything is kind of in limbo right now, except this:

My driveway sign has been completely shot to hell. All rounds coming from same area, coincidentally a property that the rancher manages. This is the only sign up and down the county road that has been shot. I have walked up and down the county road and on nearby property and can find no shells, prints, etc. Seems I am being intimidated/targeted. I filed a report with the Sheriffs office, however, they say unless I catch whoever is doing it, either witness it, or on camera, it could be anyone. Unfortunately, the driveway sign is a mile and a half from my home, and on the prairie. It is difficult for me to hear shots this far away, and setting up a game cam will also be hard to camo/disguise. Short of camping out near the sign, and watching every vehicle go by, it will be near impossible to catch the culprit.

Doesn't seem like someone is very happy with me. Not sure what to do at this point.

Mike

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
Short of camping out near the sign, and watching every vehicle go by, it will be near impossible to catch the culprit.

Other than the inconvenience, is there any reason you couldn't do this? Is there any cover available, or would your presence be obvious and sufficient to scare off the vandals?

I'd be pretty damned motivated.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Short of it being winter, ie, very darn cold (and I hate the cold Wink ), it is open prairie. A few yucca bushes, perhaps a ditch or small draw somewhere. Concealment would be hard to find. Not impossible, though. How much time do I want to spend shivering on the prairie, hoping, one day, to catch someone? I don't have a line of sight to it either. My home is over a small hill, a mile and a half away.

I have been driving to the sign everyday though, hoping to catch someone.

I will soon be cutting the top portion off, and dissecting it to recover any bullets. Then, I will replace the sign with a new one, and try to conceal a game cam. Hoping to bait whoever is responsible into shooting it again, and catching on camera. Not sure how far the game cam will work though, whoever is shooting seems to be doing it from quite a distance.

Mike

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
That sign being shot is the perfect excuse for a high end drone.

I'd fly one periodically from your front porch and simply do area scans and investigate / video vehicles you may see / hear.

Live record the video to your control device to if it is shot down you have video of it happening.

I've done that several times with people on the public area of the dam on our lake, just to let them know someone sees them / knows they were there.

Not in an intimidating manner, but recording the people / equipment / vehicles present.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
I had thought of that, Rhino. A lot of money to invest though, what with the drone, licensing, etc. It gets very windy here too, not even sure it would be able to fly most days.

Mike

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Also, try to get some of the bullets out of the wood post. Ballistic match if things go sideways? Just a thought.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
You wouldnt need any licensing beyond the 10 dollar or whatever FAA registration for personal use.

Grab a DJI MAvic and enjoy. The range on those is excellent, and it's tiny.

There are also vinyl decal sheets available that you can camo the drone. A nice sky blue and they may be able to hear it but it'll be hard to pick out immediately.

They also have low noise props now that drop it a few DB's and make a difference.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Well then, I may see a drone in my future.

I just went out and hiked the area. Found a couple potential hidey spots for me. Seeing as I am not finding any shells, etc, I believe they are shooting from inside a vehicle. May have to just put everything in life on hold, and camp out a few times a day.

Mike

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry you're going through this, it has to be tough.

Shots aren't coming from your property though? Would be a shame if one of those nail-riddled 2x4's fell off the trailer and popped someone's tire. A real shame.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Big pond sorry for your situation. If I may ask what did the sign say?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
It was my address, just had 4 numbers on it, as required by the county. Just an address marker. Numbers are obliterated now, unreadable. I am sitting here in one of the hiding spots, for about 2 hours now. Seen 2 cars go by, lol. On the plus side, my hide has internet. When the shadows start getting long, will hike home, and try again tomorrow.

Only shots coming from my property are on my 600 yard range, going in the complete opposite direction. This is deliberate.

Thanks guys. This is absolutely frustrating.

Mike