SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Proposed gravel quarry near my property.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proposed gravel quarry near my property. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am sitting here in one of the hiding spots, for about 2 hours now.

^^^^^^^^^
It will happen just after you leave. I wish there were a better solution for you than to hide and wait. There is also the possibility that the vandalism has nothing to do with your position on the gravel quarry. I read over all the posts, and it certainly seems possible that you can delay things for some time, perhaps longer.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
You are absolutely correct ZSMichael, I don't know if it is related to the quarry at all. Does seem highly suspicious though, and where the shots are coming from, the property is managed by the rancher wanting the quarry. Coincidence? Maybe. I just don't know until I catch someone red handed.

One of the things brought up to the state was their lack of signage for the quarry, as mandated by the state. They received a notice about it about 5-6 days before my sign was vandalized. Again, coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I would just put a new address marker up, rather than waste hours and days of my time trying to catch someone shooting it. It could very well be high school kids or something. There's also no sense possibly getting shot over a piece of wood and numbers.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Don't get shot.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’d buy a piece of plate steel. Paint the numbers on it. You might not hear the shot, but steel has a ring that may carry all the way to your home.
The upside to this is that you won’t have to replace the sign again, and if it’s dumbass kids with their deer rifle and nothing else to shoot at, they may sit there shooting for quite a while, enjoying the ring of steel. Increases the odds of catching someone.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I’m praying for an outcome that your family is on the winning side, big time. I feel for you, and can only imagine. But as others have said, you’re no good to your family and you can’t fight if you’re a wreck. Put your anger to work, and beat these guys. Good luck Mike

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Build a brush pile and stick a game camera in it or use a tree and mount the camera with a Python cable and pile vertical sticks to camouflage it.

Also keep a log of things that happen. You would be surprised at were some things point to.

Also another thought is place a camera across the road and they probably wouldn't be looking in that direction.

Stick a long 10 penny nail in the bullet hole to determine the direction of the shot.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Put a tannerite backstop on the sign, then you'll know the shot as will everyone else! (kidding, humor).

Steel plate might be good too.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I you go wood, stack sand bags behind the new sign to catch the bullets.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One resource I haven't seen mentioned is the Federal EPA. That is an agency that NO privately held company can "bully". In your case there are a lot of aspects that fall under the EPA's purview. Such as the dust and potential hazardous materials within the dust. Then there is the potential risk of permanent damage to the Aquifer and contamination. Then there are the proposed changes to ground elevations and it's effect on the flow and pooling of the water on that land.

These are all great big clubs that the EPA swings and they don't fool around. When the EPA wants a report on these issues you don't send photographs, you hire a local university to have a team do the requested study.

Another thing to look into is the effect of this change of use on your property value. Seem rather obvious that a property that once was easy to sell is going to be unsalable if this project goes forward. It seems to me that a big fat lawsuit is in order here. So pay attention to determine who is the most aggressive ambulance chaser in the Denver area and have a talk with them about the economic damage and it's effect on your health.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, and thanks Scooter for the EPA idea.

There are no trees anywhere here, I mean none. The road is about 20 miles long. I have a nice hide, on a hill, behind some yuccas, where I can't be seen either direction. I have a good view of my sign, the road, and the area on the road where the shooting is coming from. I am about 500 to 600 yards away from the road. I am on public land. There are no homes or structures out here, just open prairie, a few hills, and cattle. Today I was able to find a good draw to hide my truck, and approach the hide on foot without being seen from the road. Which is nice, because the wind was howling, and I could go warm up in my truck for a bit.

The sign is actually a telephone pole, mounted in concrete. The address was about 8 feet in the air. I built it this way because of the cows. They are apparently very itchy, and will scratch on anything. A t-post, or even 4x4 post wouldn't stand a chance against them. I figured, if you can't beat them, join them, so put in the telephone pole. They can rub against it all they want.

I will be replacing the address part of the sign, kind of have to if I ever want deliveries, emergency services, etc. I am really digging the idea of putting up a steel plate, perhaps some AR500 1/2" or thicker. Should keep it from being destroyed if shot again, and I can touch up the numbers with stencils when it needs it.

I will try to camouflage a game cam, but it will be at or near ground level, and at the range of the shots, I am not sure it would pick up any detail from afar. This is why I am hoping to see it personally, and perhaps video record it with my phone. Then immediately call the Sheriffs and let them deal with it. My intention is not to get shot Smile.

Thanks again for all the ideas and support guys. I will get this person caught, and keep fighting the quarry with all the legal means at my disposal. It is trying, but I have no doubt, I will prevail, one way or another.

Mike

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
"Don't give up, Don't ever give up" - Jim Valvano

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Bigpond - with all those wide open spaces - are you a high power rifle hobbyist?
Perhaps you should be Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
Bigpond, What county?
Thanks.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 647 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
You're right sg, but I am not. One of these years would like to get a CMP AR. I did set up a 600 yard range outside my back door though Big Grin.

Dj, am in Huerfano County.

Mike

posted Hide Post
Take a look into OSHA’s new silica dust regulations as well. They came out a year ago and are beyond strict. The mine will have to protect not only workers but everyone around from dust produced by the mine.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info ffemt, will definitely look into that.

Mike

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The Lake County Board of County Commissioners recently denied a similar request (as I understood everything), so I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost in the Woods
Picture of NHForester
posted Hide Post
Bigpond, I feel for you in this situation. I do have an honest question, though. Is and was a quarry an allowed use or does the project require zoning waivers. Is there zoning? I'm coming at this from an Easterner so I know the landscape is very different.

I guess what I'm getting at is it possible that this was always a potential use of the neighboring property and you just were not aware of it when you bought your piece. In other words, is this an allowed use?

Posts: 1475 | Location: Newfound Lake, NH | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
How are things going coalition building?

Fighting this on your own is too easy to be swept away.

If the greenies, and the EPA, and state representative, and the media etc are all fighting this then that's the best odds of making this enough of a bother for them to go somewhere els.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post