SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Home owners insurance denied because of Rottweiler
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home owners insurance denied because of Rottweiler Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted
I thought our home owners and auto insurance was getting too expensive so I decided to shop around. I saw that a couple of the forum members recommended an independent agent in a thread a while back, figured I would give it a shot.

I used my google foo and found a local one with good ratings all around. I called and gave her all of the info on cars and the home. I waited all day to finally get an email that said "here is the best quote I have to offer. Unfortunately, I do not have a company that will write coverage on your home with a dog" WTF?

On top of that the auto quote she offered was double what we are paying now. I don't have a clue why unless not bundling the home shot it up.

I responded with " Holy Cow! In finance, we call this a left handed loan approval. Make the offer so bad that they won't want it and will go away quietly. Also, my Rottweiler is not an arsonist"

Not sure why this chaffed my butt so bad. Oh well, on to the next company

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BigSwede,

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We switched from State Farm to Travelers a few years back. The agent came to our house and asked if we had a Rottweiler and about 6 other breeds. He said these are dis-qualifiers. Our Goldendoodle wasn't on the list - thankfully.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I've been told by an agent that you can get home owner's insurance with an exclusion for certain breeds.

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there are others, but State Farm is one of the insurers that doesn't discriminate based on breed.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
USAA has never asked us. We have a Rottie now and three previous Rotties. It would seriously piss me off if an insurance denied insurance for that reason.

If an owner can provide vaccinations proof and substantiate the dog has never bitten anyone, always on a leash, fenced yard, obedience trained, etc. then it should never be an issue.

For years the breed that bit more than any other breed was Cocker Spaniel. Bet it's not on any list.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We use Allstate and have for a long time. I've never been asked if we had a dog let alone what breed. They do know that we have a fenced yard I'm sure, so there's that.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
For years the breed that bit more than any other breed was Cocker Spaniel. Bet it's not on any list.

Thats because there’s a HUGE difference between being bitten by a dog and having serious injuries and/or killed by a dog.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3956 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
How about naming the company (not the agent)? Sounds like they deserve a little negative PR.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your Rottie needs to self-identify as a GoldenDoodle... Not that there is anything wrong with that...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
How about naming the company (not the agent)? Sounds like they deserve a little negative PR.

Why would they need bad PR? They've made a choice to not insure ceetian risks. It's a business/actuarial decision. I'm fine buying from a company that excludes risky behavior I do not partake in. Means I pay less, which is a good thing.

You want a pit or a rottie understand it comes with negatives. Insurance; neighbors not letting their kids over; people giving you dirty looks at dog park or the beach. It's not a secret these types of dogs have a stigma associated with them, if you buy one you don't get to opt out of actuarial experiences or people's memories of seeing pets or loved ones that have been mauled by these types of dogs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing new at all, they’re in the business of weighing risks.

And most insurance companies don’t want just your auto policy. One wreck and they can easily be writing a $50k+ check and your annual premium isn’t even a drop in the bucket for that expense. If you bring a house, life insurance and the likes to then, that’s a different story.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insurance: The only service you pay for but cant use.
My Ex is a Farmers Agent.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
USAA didn’t care for our German Shepherd years ago. She’s OK now.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Our ins co has a list of 10 breeds. Rotty, Doberman, Akita, Staffordshire. Can’t remember the rest. No German Shepard’s on the list.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Insurance: The only service you pay for but cant use.
My Ex is a Farmers Agent.

Has nothing to do with the op. If I ran an insurance company, I sure as hell wouldn’t insure someone with a rotty, chow chow or Pit.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3956 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, happened to me as well some years ago. Two Rotties, great dogs, trained etc. You couldn’t ask for a more passive deterrent to criminal activity.

We have a good sized golden doodle now, he’ll do the job, but boy I loved those Rotts.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I ran into something similar finding a campsite for our RV. One campground had a list of 7 breeds they wouldn't allow. According the shelter we got her from, our dog is a retriever/shepard. We now call her a retriever mix.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
every time I've shopped around for home insurance the first question every single company asked was do you have a dog and what kind, then the second question was do you have a trampoline.

Every single company

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
every time I've shopped around for home insurance the first question every single company asked was do you have a dog and what kind, then the second question was do you have a trampoline.

Every single company

Yep. This is not unusual or new. Lots of surprise breeds on some carriers’ non-insurable lists, too, like Goldens.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
They'd probably give me a discount for my dog:

Aussi-Doddle

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post