SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stupid Deer Jumped Into Side of My Truck Today!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid Deer Jumped Into Side of My Truck Today! Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado and on my way to work today in an area within the City of Austin where you would not expect to see a deer, a freaking deer jumped into the side of my truck. I saw it at the last second and I thought it was going to come through my driver’s window but it ended up hitting right on the corner of my windshield and did a crap load of damage to the entire side of my truck. After I got an estimate from my insurance company, there is $4,700 worth of damage and thank goodness it was not more as my truck would have been considered “totaled.” Stupid deer! At least I have maintained full coverage insurance with a $200 deductible.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Glad you're ok.
Bet you needed to change your shorts after that one.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Glad you're ok.

I almost rode my motorcycle to work today so I would have been at the same spot at the same time. Maybe I would have seen it better on my motorcycle but things sure could have been worse it it hit me the way it did while riding my motorcycle. It did scare the hell out of me and I checked my Apple Watch to see what my heart rate was when it hit me and my heart rate when up by 30 bpm.

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

I've hit just one deer, not very hard. I broke hard when he crossed in front of me, it was like a hip check. He got up and left. He pooped on my hood.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have hit at least 7 deer while living in Montana. 4 of them have run into me. I’ve had at least that many close calls.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have only hit one other deer before and it was at 70 MPH where I hit the deer. I caught him with the the corner of my bumper, but I have a Ranch Hand grill guard and had zero damage. Not this time. Stupid deer!

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
They can sure do a lot of damage. I saw a guys mini van get run into at the side. Very similar to your truck damage. Got his mirror too. Broken wind shield a considerable amount of caved in sheet metal. Stupid deer!

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
They can sure do a lot of damage. I saw a guys mini van get run into at the side. Very similar to your truck damage. Got his mirror too. Broken wind shield a considerable amount of caved in sheet metal. Stupid deer!

Yeah he got my mirror too and I think the mirror is $170.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the deal with deer and vehicles. I've seen deer move with agility that astounded me--leaping over and through barbed wire fencing, for instance; yet, they seem to go out of their way to hit vehicles.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I don't understand the deal with deer and vehicles. I've seen deer move with agility that astounded me--leaping over and through barbed wire fencing, for instance; yet, they seem to go out of their way to hit vehicles.

Yeah, my gal seemed to be on a suicide mission. Stupid deer!

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Had one do the same thing to me a couple 2-3 years ago. I was driving in to work one evening and going about 35 down my road. I saw this doe running directly at me from my left through my neighbor's property. As she was getting closer, I assumed that she was trying to cross the road in front of me so I slowed down. I assumed wrong. When she was about 20 yards away, she turned and ran directly into my driver's side door. A full-on head butt that put a $500 dent in the door. Knocked her out cold and pissed me off royally.

I have come to hate deer with a passion. The bastards are everywhere around here. Fortresses have to be built around anything that you don't want eaten or otherwise destroyed. I even have the sonsabitches come up on my deck and eat my flowers and raspberries. Mad

It doesn't help, of course, that one of my neighbors down the road feeds the whole herd around here and has turned them into pets. She was out in the yard just yesterday with a dozen or so of them feeding them grain out of her hand and petting them. Dumbass.

They have become nuisance animals in this area, but of course the Fish and Game will do nothing to thin the herd. Oh no...that would make too much sense. Apparently it makes more sense for the people to have to deal with the property damage and injuries and deaths that occur from hitting them. Every year we get a couple motorcyclists taken out by animals. It's downright dangerous to ride around here.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Few years ago had a co worker stumble into work. He slouched into his chair, and silently went about his work. You could see blood on him, and he lacked use of his right arm. He had hit a deer while riding his motorcycle, not that he would acknowledge anything was wrong. He refused medical attention, and wanted left alone, said he was fine. We had to call the squad and force him out, because he wouldn't go willingly. Stubborn as a mule, he didn't complain about anything other than missing a days work. He spent two weeks in the hospital before passing away. I learned that day the definition of tough. Rest in peace Norman.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
My deer died instantly. I didn’t stop when the deer hit me as I figured there was no need. When I got to work and called the insurance company, they said it would be a good idea to get a picture of the deer. I went back to the “scene” and the deer was gone but there was blood and parts of my truck. I later learned the parks department removed the deer from the road since it was right outside of a city park.

Saluki
posted Hide Post
The little bastages have totaled two vehicles for me. Sent one to the body shop three different times. Shredded a few fenders on the big truck.

Gotta admit the thought of hitting one goes through my mind every time I contemplate another motorcycle.

I will not operate a vehicle without comprehensive coverage. It's the only coverage I've ever used in 30 years, and it's cheap.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On patrol one night I was approaching a bridge which was over the 6 lane interstate bypass on my beat. 2 does were standing on the bridge. I slowed down but both jumped over the side of the bridge. The drop was about 75 feet. I heard lots of skidding but by the time I got down to where the deer would have landed, everyone, including the deer was gone.
And want to see a really gory mess? Yooper deer vs. logging truck.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
A few years back I was driving home in my truck, well after dark, when I saw a deer out of the corner of my eye run out of the woods and felt a huge THUD. I kept on driving as I was almost home and in my garage I walked around that side of my truck looking for the damage and didn't find a thing. Not a scratch. The only thing I could think of was that it ran right into my tire. I got lucky.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In the early 1980s in California, I was riding my motorcycle in a remote wooded area just after dark and hit a deer. I hit it only a fairly glancing blow, which is the only reason I didn't go down. It bent the front fender against the tire, which I pried away using a fallen stick, and twisted my forks. When I got home I loosened up all the triple clamps, twisted the forks back into position as much as possible and re-tightened everything. It was an improvement but was still never quite right after that.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
On patrol one night I was approaching a bridge which was over the 6 lane interstate bypass on my beat. 2 does were standing on the bridge. I slowed down but both jumped over the side of the bridge. The drop was about 75 feet. I heard lots of skidding but by the time I got down to where the deer would have landed, everyone, including the deer was gone.
And want to see a really gory mess? Yooper deer vs. logging truck.

I literally laughed out loud when I read that the deer jumped off the bridge thinking they were just hopping a fence.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
A few years back I was driving home in my truck, well after dark, when I saw a deer out of the corner of my eye run out of the woods and felt a huge THUD. I kept on driving as I was almost home and in my garage I walked around that side of my truck looking for the damage and didn't find a thing. Not a scratch. The only thing I could think of was that it ran right into my tire. I got lucky.

You got lucky indeed as that is exactly what happened with me except where the deer hit.

posted Hide Post
It could have been worse!
Wife deer hunting trip. $10000.00 damage.

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post