SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If you are sick, don't come to work!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you are sick, don't come to work! Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
My boss did, now I'm sick. 90% of his job can be done by phone & computer, but since he's a micromanager, he hangs around. My employees have kids & grandkids, & one's 90 y/o mother lives with her. None of them need to be exposed. STAY THE FUCK HOME IF YOU ARE CONTAGIOUS!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
When I worked in municipal government we received 12 sick days a year, and they accumulated. The handbook said to stay home if you are sick. Yea, that was bullshit. I hadn't taken a sick day in 3 years at one point (didn't get sick). On a Sunday I got sick, missed 3 days of work and missed a very important meeting about people flushing disposable wipes down the toilet. I was called at home and verbally abused for missing the meeting. An hour later the Executive Director whom I worked under called and told me I was going to receive a written warning for missing work and I better have a doctors note. Two hours later I was called and told I was getting two days off over being out sick. Six months later I left being fed up with a micromanager.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]On a Sunday I got sick, missed 3 days of work and missed a very important meeting about people flushing disposable wipes down the toilet.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah remember those days. Weekly staff meetings with mandatory attendance. The custodian would take the floor and explain that he was finding half full coffee cups in the trash which caused extra work. No disposable wipes in those days. People parking on the grass was another prime issue. Nobody discussed patient care.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get "sick time" and absences are unexcused even with a Dr's note. I ain't dead, I ain't staying home.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I haven't been sick in 20+ years, but I'm the only one at work who is dumb enough to show up on time every day.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I get 2 sick days per year. After I use those any time missed either eats into my vacation or goes unpaid.

And yes, they encourage us to stay home if we're sick. But no one does because just about everyone burns their sick days within the first few months of the year after someone brings whatever disease their kid got from daycare to the office. And that person used their days taking care of their sick kid before they got it.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
We've had some kind of serious illness going around to all the delivery drivers. We're all taking turns calling in sick for two days and dry heaving because we can't keep any food down. Fun times!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, one of my favourite pet peeves when I was still employed: People who'd come in sick, come hell or high water.

So you don't get sick time, you say? Have to take it out of vacation time, you say? Tough titties. Odds are so do your coworkers. It is the height of selfishness to pass your sickness on to others because you feel you can't afford to miss two or three days.

Some of those coworkers may have somebody at home that can't afford to have their SO or relative bring something nasty home. People like my wife, who, if she gets sick and it turns into an infection may be in serious trouble, as she's literally deathly allergic to most antibiotics.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We get 5 sick days a year to use without a doctor’s note. It is for you or your immediate family care (you have a small child that is sick and someone needs to stay home and care, etc...).

End of the year any unused days are converted to half a day’s pay and put into a 457 account for you.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Ah, yes, one of my favourite pet peeves when I was still employed: People who'd come in sick, come hell or high water.

So you don't get sick time, you say? Have to take it out of vacation time, you say? Tough titties. Odds are so do your coworkers. It is the height of selfishness to pass your sickness on to others because you feel you can't afford to miss two or three days.

Some of those coworkers may have somebody at home that can't afford to have their SO or relative bring something nasty home. People like my wife, who, if she gets sick and it turns into an infection may be in serious trouble, as she's literally deathly allergic to most antibiotics.

Any excuse otherwise (bringing the sickness into office) is just bs. I agree with you 100%.
I’m sick I’m staying home. My PTO and sick days are lumped into one. I don’t get a lot of time off for this either. But if I’m sick I’m not spreading it. We need people who must come in to start wearing masks. I’m a single income household and can’t afford to get sick due to others negligence or narcissism. People at work will come in sick as a dog and spread it to everyone. It really fucking pisses me off. Their excuse is they don’t want to burn their vacation time. Fuck that. Be a decent person.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
I don't get "sick time" and absences are unexcused even with a Dr's note. I ain't dead, I ain't staying home.

Then stay in your office (with the door closed), or telecommute, or go out in the cornfield or something -- just stay the heck away from the rest of us. We don't want your cooties.

Chances are, none of us is so important that our showing up makes it worth polluting our coworkers and their families.

Ensigmatic nailed it.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
And this is an advantage for me working outdoors because I don't have to have close contact with people.

Even though we get sick time, I've been sick once bad enough to miss work and the guys covered for me. We are all salaried and just make up the missed hours with a couple more down the line. If we're sick, we can still support the team remotely by writing work orders, calling vendors, etc for the guys who are at work.

One guy had some serious car trouble a couple weeks ago and missed 2 days of work. We relied on him to call vendors and requests things to be scheduled remotely and he did.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
My employer allows us to bank/accumulate up to 80 hours of sick time, no payout at end of year, no expiration, just max out at 80 hours. Which is very generous.
God forbid using ANY of those hours though, as it will be brought up at any and all performance reviews, promotion interviews, etc...

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We needed a doctors note after being out 5 consecutive days. Management did what they wanted, contract didn't mean crap to them. My contract gave me a 5% salary increase per year for my 5 year contract. Management signs it, later said all employees that are not in the union (administration) will receive the same raise as the union. Well, not everyone. Executive Director and the Assistant Executive Director each got 5% increase twice a year plus a bonus. And this was municipal government. Your tax dollars at work!

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
So this is like a lot of the other arguments:
Don’t like gun laws in your state, move.
Don’t like your employer’s sick leave policy, quit.
Neither is as easy as it’s made to sound.

I see both sides. It’s not easy to just up and move or up and find another job. Absolute declarations rarely work in our exceedingly gray world.

Luckily I live in Texas, and work somewhere with a very good sick/vacation policy. Smile

And please, if you can, stay home when sick. My immune system gets enough of a workout dealing with what my school age kids bring home.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I am vehemently in favor my guys staying home if they are sick.

However I have had jobs in the past where there was no sick time, and any and all missed sick days needed a Dr. note. Sometimes you don't need a Dr, you just feel like ass and if your going to drag your ass to the Dr for something like a bad cold you may as well just go to work. They won't prescribe anything for a cold anyway.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
When I was working as a contract software developer, I had deadline dates for deliverables. If I wanted to get more contract work to continue my ability to earn, pay my mortgage, etc., I had to meet those deadline dates.

It was not about being there during work hours, it was about getting the work done, or suffer the consequences.

Working from home was not an option, we were not able to log in to the development systems due to security paranoia.

If I was physically able to drag my ass in, I did so. If I was unable, I knew that I would need to pull some all-nighters once I recovered, in order to make my scheduled dates.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I'm the guy who comes sick. I might as well be getting paid while I'm miserable and I most certainly picked it up at work.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
I'm the guy who comes sick. I might as well be getting paid while I'm miserable and I most certainly picked it up at work.

And you're the guy who's bringing it back for the rest of us to share again. Thanks... not.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Last place of employment they did not have paid sick days but if ill I called off. Didn't need to prove anything even though the supervisor would piss and moan when someone took a day off.

Previous one gave us seven personal days off in addition to vacation time, three weeks when I left there over if over ten years service. No doctor's letter, honor system.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post