SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If you are sick, don't come to work!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you are sick, don't come to work! Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Now one of my employees is sick. Right before her vacation. Thanks, asshole.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Annnnd another is sick.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
When I was working as a contract software developer, I had deadline dates for deliverables. If I wanted to get more contract work to continue my ability to earn, pay my mortgage, etc., I had to meet those deadline dates.

It was not about being there during work hours, it was about getting the work done, or suffer the consequences.

Working from home was not an option, we were not able to log in to the development systems due to security paranoia.

If I was physically able to drag my ass in, I did so. If I was unable, I knew that I would need to pull some all-nighters once I recovered, in order to make my scheduled dates.

Been there done that. I did have the common courtesy to tell people to stay away from me. Sometimes I had to get downright mean to have them stay out of my cube. Today I can work from home and I do when I am a "little" sick. I take a sick day when I am "big" sick. I 100% agree with the theme of this thread.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
When I was working as a contract software developer, I had deadline dates for deliverables. If I wanted to get more contract work to continue my ability to earn, pay my mortgage, etc., I had to meet those deadline dates.

It was not about being there during work hours, it was about getting the work done, or suffer the consequences.

Working from home was not an option, we were not able to log in to the development systems due to security paranoia.

If I was physically able to drag my ass in, I did so. If I was unable, I knew that I would need to pull some all-nighters once I recovered, in order to make my scheduled dates.
Been there done that. I did have the common courtesy to tell people to stay away from me. Sometimes I had to get downright mean to have them stay out of my cube. Today I can work from home and I do when I am a "little" sick. I take a sick day when I am "big" sick. I 100% agree with the theme of this thread.
I did not have the option of working from off site. The security weenies did not trust us.

What was really funny about that, was that I poked around and found a hole in the way the UNIX systems were configured, I was able to get root access any time I needed it to get my work done. Only from on-site, though.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

Similar to my situation now- I own my own business, a sole proprietorship, by myself, and I have clients to keep happy. I have no sick or vacation days, I have projects that need to be completed within a strict deadline. Calling in sick when I need to be onsite for a project is not an option; my client would suffer hugely, and I would lose that client.

I have been to work sick perhaps 3 times in the 13 years in business. One of the times, I had severe food poisoning the night before and went onsite the next morning with spare pairs of underwear and pants. The other times, I had a bad cold and stayed away from all other humans while doing my work.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'd like to stay home if sick, but in a small repair shop where I'm the only fully qualified technician, as well as being paid on piecework and not getting sick days, if I can stand and walk without keeling over, I'm coming to work. I'll try not to cough up my lung on you.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Dr. notes not accepted, vacation has to be pre-approved.

People come in with full on flu

Wonder why I am on an attendance cap?

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
This situation may reach epidemic proportions with the current anti-vaxxer movement. I think the stats are already starting to fall in.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Add to this church.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Many Asians will wear the mask covering their nose and mouth when they are sick. Why can’t we just adopt this?

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
In 11 years had not taken one sick day.
Why?
I worked from home.

This year, I had to start going into the office.

Taken 2 sick days from getting some virus from one of the contractors.

He was sick during the week, and I had to sit in the same room with him on Wednesday.

Saturday, I had some variant of the Hindu Hantavirus.

I lost 10 pounds in 5 days.

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's easy to say stay home if you're sick - but you don't have to take the verbal ass whooping if something doesn't get done because of your absence. That's coming from a guy who worked for the feds.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My current job requires a doctor's note if you're out sick more than one day. With the high deductible health plan there, the clinic says that a visit and note may cost from $200 to $500 depending on what codes they write down.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add to this family gatherings. In short, if you are ill, stay home! Brother in law shows up at family gathering two weeks ago with about 40 people in attendance. He spends the whole four hours coughing and wishing he had seen the doctor yesterday. I wonder how many people got sick from that guy in addition to me.

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I had a coworker that had pink eye. She called out sick but then came in partway through the day to grab some paperwork she needed to work from home. Annoying, but understandable. However she then proceeded to walk around the entire office gossiping with people. After the third time both I and another person in the office told her not so politely to GTFO did she finally leave. We then spent the next 20 minutes disinfecting every surface that she touched.

The best part was when she said "It's so wierd, my kid had it, then my husband had it now I have it"
Yeah, dumbass, because your entire house is a petri dish now.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I insist my employees stay home if they are sick. If they are functional enough to be on the computer working, don't take a sick day.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post