SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Doesn't anyone make a decent hand can opener?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doesn't anyone make a decent hand can opener? Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the Kuhn Rikon is now made in China. Of course, every other can opener on the market probably is too.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I've been using this one for a while with no issues.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
FWIW, the Kuhn Rikon is now made in China. Of course, every other can opener on the market probably is too.

I posted one made in USA on page 1.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Seriously considering retiring it for a safe cut style model.
I have had a couple different safe cut types, not one of them has been consistently reliable.

They work well on some types of cans, on other cans they either skip spots, or do not cut all the way through, or sometimes do not cut at all.

This whole topic was discussed here on SIGforum a while ago. Somebody posted a photo showing the conventional (non "safe cut") style held sort of sideways, so that it cut the side of the can, much like a "safe cut," instead of the top of the can. Try that with your OXO and see how that works for you.

Did a search and found 3 threads, one included this video which is what I believe you were referring to.
I may have to give it a try although comments indicate it leaves a sharp edge on the can.

UPDATE: Here's a "rebuttal" video

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Seriously considering retiring it for a safe cut style model.
I have had a couple different safe cut types, not one of them has been consistently reliable.

They work well on some types of cans, on other cans they either skip spots, or do not cut all the way through, or sometimes do not cut at all.
<snip>

The smooth-edge, safe-cut Rösle that I described (about the tenth post on page 1) works perfectly on all cans unless the can is badly dented at its rim region.

I just checked my e-diary, and see that I bought it in June, 2016 – nearly five years ago. It has opened a LOT of cans. IMO, worthy tools are good value, even at a premium price.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
That Rösle costs way more than I want to spend. I'll save my few spare shekels instead for Irish Whiskey and the occasional expensive meat/seafood splurge.

Went with Excam_Man's recommendation... we'll see.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'm very happy with an OXO brand manual opener.

That’s what I use; the OXO Good Grips opener and it’s been 100% reliable

$14.95 on Amazon:

OXO Good Grips Soft-Handled Can Opener https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...SW019K2Y78MX6BS00F7C

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'm very happy with an OXO brand manual opener.

That’s what I use; the OXO Good Grips opener and it’s been 100% reliable

Ours had been for years and years but of late it has lost its mojo leaving lids twisted in the air with a silly sub millimeter left uncut. This requires a hands on twist of the lid leaving a sharp little nub inside the rim of the can. UNSAT.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
That Rösle costs way more than I want to spend. I'll save my few spare shekels instead for Irish Whiskey and the occasional expensive meat/seafood splurge.

Went with Excam_Man's recommendation... we'll see.

The can opener recommended by Excam_Man is a knock-off of a much older (now discontinued) Rösle design. This one (40-second video):

https://youtu.be/u6xeao7ZCzo

I owned one. It worked well on many cans, but not all. I gave it to Goodwill when I got the Rösle that I described on page 1.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

The can opener recommended by Excam_Man is a knock-off of a much older (now discontinued) Rösle design.

I owned one. It worked well on many cans, but not all. I gave it to Goodwill when I got the Rösle that I described on page 1.

Interesting Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdQF5OzfG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ing-SLwekHA

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
The first video link in your post is spot on. The cutting mechanism of can openers of this type (the “Mainstays” and my “old” Rösle) need cleaning to keep them working – and they’re hard to clean.

In contrast, the cutting mechanism of my “$40” Rösle is as clean as new after five years of use – and I’ve never cleaned it.

BTW – one tip that video didn’t mention: when the opener gets balky at gripping the can edge, you can help it by pressing the round button over its cutting wheel.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:

I posted one made in USA on page 1.

As did I, which was one recommended by another forum member in a USA made product post awhile back.

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This Rösle is the best manual hand-held can opener available:

www.amazon.com/dp/B001CJQ73W/r..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My can opener did not work well yesterday so this morning I went to Amazon & ordered the Rosle. It was delivered a few minutes ago (took about 6 hours). The label says "Made in China"!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Smile I have actually tried two of the recommendations - the heavy steel US-made and the Farberware - and they don't cut consistently. As well, the plastic handle broke off the Farberware one. A while back I got two Chinese ones (one stays at work for lunch) for $10 on sale at a Kroger market and believe it or not, these have worked the best - but still not well enough.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
This Rösle is the best manual hand-held can opener available:

www.amazon.com/dp/B001CJQ73W/r..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My can opener did not work well yesterday so this morning I went to Amazon & ordered the Rosle. It was delivered a few minutes ago (took about 6 hours). The label says "Made in China"!

Congrats!

One tip: The first time I used mine, I thought it wasn’t working – after cutting completely around the rim, the lid was still firmly attached. The reason: The Rösle cuts very high on the lid. Internal adhesive was still holding the lid onto the can. But you can pull it off with three fingernails in the cut seam.

Or pull it off with the built-in plier. Which leads to my second tip: The plier jaws are long. If you put the plier on “too far”, the jaws will grip the top of the can too, with the result that you can’t pull the lid off. Just visually check that the plier isn’t gripping the top of the can.

ETA: Tip #3 – Squeeze the handles firmly enough that the cutting wheel goes all the way through the can rim. Easy to do, because the cylindrical handles are comfortable to grip.

BTW – My Rösle was made in China too, but it’s worked perfectly for five years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Picture of losvaqueros
posted Hide Post
We don’t use much canned stuff but the Oxo works fine.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Mid Tenn | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
Been on my key ring now for many, many decades. Hasn't failed me yet. Makes a decent screwdriver in a pinch, too.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kitchen Aid hand operated works. My ex bought one that breaks the crimp and separates the top without cutting, but it doesn't always work, and at least one brand of can never works with it.

My mom gave me a gift certificate for some catalog and I chose the "best ever electric can opener" which was a $50 Cuisinart and it sucks.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
Been on my key ring now for many, many decades. Hasn't failed me yet. Makes a decent screwdriver in a pinch, too.
^^^^^^^ Works both flat head tip and Phillips head screws.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes! https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...250046274#1250046274

EX Duz it. Fantastic product. Top of the page on the link.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post