SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Doesn't anyone make a decent hand can opener?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doesn't anyone make a decent hand can opener? Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
Also recommendations (can be hand or electric.)

It doesn't matter what I get, almost invariably at least one spot will be ridden/skipped over and not get cut. Even worse is when it skips two spots directly across from each other.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
The apartment we are spending the winter in came with 2 cheap openers. Neither would open a can. We bought a Faberware opener at Walmart that works great. It's red - the fastest color.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We have 2 KitchenAid manual can openers that work great. Took going through a few cheap ones.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Here you go...

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with an OXO brand manual opener.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Here you go...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Sir it is funny how great minds think alike. The ones listed seem to be made by the same company that made the one that I have been carrying on my key ring since August 1968 and it works just as good as a new one. To some people it looks odd and are amazed to see it work and back in the day was almost just as fast as some kitchen electric can openers. ...................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
This Rösle is the best manual hand-held can opener available:

www.amazon.com/dp/B001CJQ73W/r..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve had mine for several years – got it from Williams-Sonoma.
* Smooth can and top edges.
* The cutting mechanism never touches the food, so stays absolutely clean.
* Handy ring for hanging the opener on a kitchen hook.
* Very robust plier for taking off the cut top (with lots of gripping leverage).

But I seldom use the plier – fingernails of three fingers in the cut suffice to get the top off.

Mine works as good now as it did new.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Sir it is funny how great minds think alike. The ones listed seem to be made by the same company that made the one that I have been carrying on my key ring since August 1968 and it works just as good as a new one. To some people it looks odd and are amazed to see it work and back in the day was almost just as fast as some kitchen electric can openers. ...................................... drill sgt.

I've been carrying mine on a keyring since Late 1966 and still use it from time to time. I also sharpen it once every couple of years.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one works so well, I bought a spare!

Simple, ergonomic, easy to use, no sharp edges and doesn't take up much room.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mai...-Can-Opener/20462594

It works better and is easier to use over the two handled one it replaced. Even though they both basically worked the same.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety LidLifter/Can Opener

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I7GST2

We've had this one for four years and REALLY like it! I also prefer it to the well worn OXO brand side cutting can opener that it replaced. The reversing mechanism (to disengage the cutter) and the lid lifter design(s) set the Kuhn Rikon apart from other side cutters in my IMO.

FYI - The key with a side-cutting can opener is ONLY one trip around the can! The blade lasts longer due to not running in the already cut track in the lid. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Bought this from Walmart about 6 months ago. Seems to be a duplicate of my 35 year old gear driven Swing-A-Way, made in the USA, out of heavy steel. It seems to work flawlessly, like the old Swing-A-Way.

I don’t recall it having a brand name on the hang card, but it did have “MADE IN U.S.A” in bold letters on it.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
original,issued 1970:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: airbubba,

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'm very happy with an OXO brand manual opener.

Me too. Have had no problems with rusting, handle is wide and easy to grip, knob is also easy to use and no cutting issues.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forty bucks for a hand-operated can opener? Gaaaahhh

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Forty bucks for a hand-operated can opener? Gaaaahhh

It’s a bit pricey, but I’m willing to pay a premium for frequently-used tools of superior design, construction, and materials.

My SIG P226 X5 is another example. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This from Amazon works well for the wife and me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 247 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We've had an Oxo for years and while it does the job it has become increasingly annoying with the lid remaining attached with a very small bit of metal requiring the twisting of the lid for removal. And that leaves a pointed piece of metal on the can's edge which is a safety threat.

Seriously considering retiring it for a safe cut style model.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seriously considering retiring it for a safe cut style model.
I have had a couple different safe cut types, not one of them has been consistently reliable.

They work well on some types of cans, on other cans they either skip spots, or do not cut all the way through, or sometimes do not cut at all.

This whole topic was discussed here on SIGforum a while ago. Somebody posted a photo showing the conventional (non "safe cut") style held sort of sideways, so that it cut the side of the can, much like a "safe cut," instead of the top of the can. Try that with your OXO and see how that works for you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post