SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Convicted of voter fraud but ridiculously inadequate punishment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convicted of voter fraud but ridiculously inadequate punishment Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
I saw this on FB from Texas' Gov. Abbott and was pretty excited about prosecuting and convicting people who committed voter fraud. Then, I read the lenient sentence and uttered a few choice words.

Check out the article for yourself:
quote:
Two poll workers plead guilty to illegal voting

by Mihir Zaveri
May 22, 2017 Updated: May 22, 2017 8:16p

Two people who worked as election clerks during the May 2016 primary runoff have pleaded guilty to unlawfully casting a ballot for another person, Harris County Clerk Stan Stanart announced Monday.

Jeanene Johnson, 63, and Latunia Thomas, 46, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of "unlawful deposit of ballot" earlier this month. They served one day in jail, and were released, according to the Harris County District Attorney's office.

With Johnson's help, Thomas cast a ballot for her daughter at a Harris County Public Health and Environmental Services building during early voting for the May 24, 2016 primary runoff, according to Dane Schiller, a spokesman for the district attorney's office. He said Thomas' daughter was not present at the polling location.

"My office found convincing evidence that voter fraud was committed," Stanart, a Republican, said in a statement Monday. "The evidence was provided to the Harris County District Attorney's Office who presented the case to a Harris County Grand Jury."

Stanart's announcement comes amid allegations of rampant voter fraud, which have been used by Republican lawmakers across the country to ramp up controversial Voter ID laws. President Donald Trump has claimed that millions of people voted illegally for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election, and this month has put together a commission to help study how many non-citizens illegally cast ballots.

In Texas, voter fraud was one of the central arguments behind the state's controversial 2011 Voter ID law, one of the strictest in the nation, requiring voters to present one of seven types of photo identification before being allowed to cast a ballot in person. Critics say the measure has no effect on mail-in ballots and accuse Republican lawmakers of trying to disenfranchise minority voters.

A federal judge in Corpus Christi last year ruled that the law was passed with discriminatory intent and violated federal voting rights law. She reached the same conclusion earlier this year after a federal appeals court rejected part of her ruling claiming the law amounted to an illegal poll tax.

Lawmakers are working on a revamped version of the law, which Gov. Greg Abbott declared an emergency in the final days of the Texas legislative session.

Stanart said both Thomas and Johnson were election clerks hired to work the poll by the county at the recommendation of the Harris County Democratic Party.

Lillie Schechter, who was elected chair of the Harris County Democratic Party earlier year, said she was not familiar with the incident as she was not chair when the crime took place. But she said the party will continue to take "voter fraud very seriously" and prioritize poll-watching and voter suppression.

Both defendants were charged with a felony, but pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge. The two were investigated after other clerks noticed the pair casting the ballot, Stanart said.

Stanart said that obtaining convictions on such crimes is rare. He said this month's convictions were the most significant finding and prosecution of voter fraud in the last decade-and-a-half.

The Texas attorney general's office has received more than 700 reports of voter fraud since 2002, but has prosecuted only 93 since 2005.

"It's one thing to find it," Stanart said. "It's another thing to be able to have something where you could prove it."

An individual who answered a telephone number listed for Thomas referred questions to Thomas's attorney, who said she would not be able to reach her client Monday evening. Johnson could not be reached for comment Monday and her attorney said she could not respond to questions Monday evening without speaking to Johnson.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
A federal judge in Corpus Christi last year ruled that the law was passed with discriminatory intent and violated federal voting rights law. She reached the same conclusion earlier this year after a federal appeals court rejected part of her ruling claiming the law amounted to an illegal poll tax.

I'd like a further explanation of this. Poll tax? Everyone already has a state issued DL or Walkers Permit, for the less than 1% that don't they have a choice of 6 other options to present as ID.

If I were a Texas Senator, I'd say screw it and just give DL and Walkers Permits away for free and tack the $9-$25 a drivers license cost on to some other car/tag related fee. Net zero lost income and zero argument for it being a poll tax.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20817 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"Latunia". Alrighty.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
They should spend one day swinging by the neck from a rope.

Only one day. I'm all about leniency.

And I am "heart attack" serious.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^ THIS ^^

Voter fraud should carry the same penalty as sedition or treason.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
No leniency at all for voter fraud,IMHO!

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
They should spend one day swinging by the neck from a rope.

Only one day. I'm all about leniency.

And I am "heart attack" serious.

Eehh... he'd still get to vote afterwards.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
If you were irked about that, you'll be pissed about this. From the mid-term elections of 2014:

quote:
Calhoun County voters elected Shelby Sebastian over Susan Riley, 517 to 455 in the Democratic runoff election for Calhoun County clerk Tuesday.

Neither Sebastian nor Riley could be reached for comment Tuesday night.

The results mark the end of a dramatic race that involved suspected election fraud and a hearing in district court.

Sebastian received 763 votes in the March primary. Riley and Grace Gonzalez tossed a coin to break a 630-vote tie. Riley won and advanced to the runoff.

Gonzalez contested the results after the county's Democratic Party chairwoman, Evelyn Burleson, was suspected of election fraud, a third-degree felony.

During the primary, Burleson voted twice - once during early voting and again on Election Day. The county clerk's race was close enough that one vote might have affected the outcome.

District Judge Pat Kelly, of Victoria, upheld the primary election results. A Calhoun County grand jury decided not to indict Burleson.

Investigations by the Calhoun County Sheriff's Office and the Texas Rangers showed no motive for the illegal vote nor any criminal intent, according to a news release by Criminal District Attorney Dan Heard.

Sebastian will face Republican Anna Goodman in the November general election.

LINK

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
screw it and just give DL and Walkers Permits away for free and tack the $9-$25 a drivers license cost on to some other car/tag related fee. Net zero lost income and zero argument for it being a poll tax.

Exactly. It will end that argument forever, and the cost is paltry compared to the cost of fraud. Is that why it never happens, because too many politicians know it would work?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
screw it and just give DL and Walkers Permits away for free and tack the $9-$25 a drivers license cost on to some other car/tag related fee. Net zero lost income and zero argument for it being a poll tax.

Exactly. It will end that argument forever, and the cost is paltry compared to the cost of fraud. Is that why it never happens, because too many politicians know it would work?
We did..I think. I need a DL, so I have no interest in looking into this.

quote:
Following the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision on Tuesday that paves the way for implementation of Texas’ voter ID law, the Texas Department of Public Safety announced it will begin processing applications for free voter ID cards this week.

On Wednesday, the department will begin issuing so-called election identification certificates for qualified voters. Offering the certificates is required by Senate Bill 14, a measure that passed in 2011 but was on hold until Tuesday's decision.

The IDs are free and will be available to voters who do not yet have a viable form of ID, such as a driver’s license, a concealed handgun license, a passport or military ID. Applicants must go to a DPS driver’s license office to apply and show proof of citizenship. The IDs can only be used to vote, and are not acceptable forms of personal identification for other purposes.

To qualify, applicants must be U.S. citizens and Texas residents and be eligible to vote in Texas. They must prove it by showing a valid voter registration card or submitting a voter registration application when applying for the card. Most documents will be valid for six years, though they do not expire for citizens 70 or older.

An accepted list of documents that prove citizenship can be found here, and proof of identity documents can be found here.

The free IDs were in response to opponents of voter ID who said thousands of voters would not have access to — or money for — valid IDs. Though they are available for no charge, opponents say obtaining the free IDs will still be difficult for potential voters who live far from DPS offices, or who don’t have money to purchase copies of their birth certificates if they don’t already have the document.

LINK

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

We did..I think. I need a DL, so I have no interest in looking into this.

quote:
Following the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision on Tuesday that paves the way for implementation of Texas’ voter ID law, the Texas Department of Public Safety announced it will begin processing applications for free voter ID cards this week.

On Wednesday, the department will begin issuing so-called election identification certificates for qualified voters. Offering the certificates is required by Senate Bill 14, a measure that passed in 2011 but was on hold until Tuesday's decision.

The IDs are free and will be available to voters who do not yet have a viable form of ID, such as a driver’s license, a concealed handgun license, a passport or military ID. Applicants must go to a DPS driver’s license office to apply and show proof of citizenship. The IDs can only be used to vote, and are not acceptable forms of personal identification for other purposes.

To qualify, applicants must be U.S. citizens and Texas residents and be eligible to vote in Texas. They must prove it by showing a valid voter registration card or submitting a voter registration application when applying for the card. Most documents will be valid for six years, though they do not expire for citizens 70 or older.

An accepted list of documents that prove citizenship can be found here, and proof of identity documents can be found here.

The free IDs were in response to opponents of voter ID who said thousands of voters would not have access to — or money for — valid IDs. Though they are available for no charge, opponents say obtaining the free IDs will still be difficult for potential voters who live far from DPS offices, or who don’t have money to purchase copies of their birth certificates if they don’t already have the document .

LINK

For fucks sake, what other excuses will they come up with? The law will be difficult for people who have had a disfiguring disease and no longer look like their original identification? Difficult for people with no legs? Difficult for people in a coma?

EVERONE has a fucking ID already damn it.

All the left media has to say is "but opponents say (fill in bullshit, unfounded, made up excuse)" to counter logic. There is no need to prove one single instance of this actually happening and the morons reading this will feel sorry and say what about the poor, poor people that have to drive fifty miles or were too stupid to get their birth certificates by now?

Children are literally going to starve to death from this law if enacted, and it will be directly attributable to Trump.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20817 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Until we are willing to punish this as the crime it really is, it will continue. I think voter fraud should at least have a minimum sentence of a number of years in jail, depending upon the nature of the offense. These rat bastards need to be exposed, punished and forever stopped in their tracks. God save this once great republic.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
A national ID card would clean up this mess and go a long way toward driving illegals from the country.

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
A national ID card would clean up this mess and go a long way toward driving illegals from the country.
Don't want and don't need a national ID for so many reasons.

Look, this is simple. Don't give IDs to those not eligible. Don't broaden qualification. Enforce existing penalties for fraud..enhance penalties as needed. Ceding issuance of ID to the federal level doesn't prevent fraud.

Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by florida boy:
No leniency at all for voter fraud,IMHO!

Totally in agreement. This type of scum bag deserves no leniency what so ever. This is one of the prime reasons I'm for and have always been for voter ID.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I think it was Arizona that offered free ID's and even a free ride to the DMV to get one, and people still claimed it was a hardship, and of course, racist.

I'm fine with one day in jail, as long as they get their voting rights stripped for good.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post