SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Early Christmas Decorators
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early Christmas Decorators Login/Join 
posted
Every year we have at least 2-3 assholes that put up their holiday lights in early November....Do this cuckolds not grasp the hell they are creating for the rest of us? My wife has been on my ass for 2 weeks now to decorate!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
So when ya decorating???

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My neighbor's went up last Friday. A lot of people near us use a service to put up/take down the lights. So, you're slightly at the mercy of their schedule.

We got lights & such, but haven't put anything up yet & the Christmas boxes are still in the attic.

Probably start working on it all over the long weekend.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
So when ya decorating???

Big Grin

Every year I put up a valiant fight, every year I lose....I will do it this Friday.

I actually got smart a few years ago after almost killing myself trying to reach the peak of the house...I rigged a line and and some small pulleys and I can just drop it down, attach lights and raise back into place.

The part that pisses me off is that I can put the stupid lights away as careful as can be, plug them in after they are wrapped up to make sure they all work and tuck away neatly then 11 months later half of them somehow no longer work?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Not before Thanksgiving, unless you live somewhere that the weather will severely impact your ability to put them up outside, then you can put them up as early as you need to but you cannot power the lights until the Thanksgiving evening at the earliest.

That's my rule.

The day after Halloween people had Christmas decorations up and lit. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have never bought a tree or put up lights. Until I can find a 6-12 foot illuminated, water and winter proof, cross that disassembles for storage I won’t buy anything. If y’all see something like that I’ll order and put it in the front yard.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put everything up yesterday, and lit it up last night. 4 of us on our cul-de-sac have em up and on, now. Personally, early Christmas stuff doesn't bother me in the least.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3479 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will sometimes put up the outdoor lights in mid-November to avoid colder weather, BUT....There will be no illumination of said lights (other than one daylight test) until the day after Thanksgiving.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Up the day of Christmas Eve. Down Christmas night. Bah, etc...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Up the day of Christmas Eve. Down Christmas night. Bah, etc...

They have these with LED bulbs and battery power if, like me, you think bending over to plug something decorative into an outlet is too much damn trouble.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
So when ya decorating???

Big Grin

Every year I put up a valiant fight, every year I lose....I will do it this Friday.

I actually got smart a few years ago after almost killing myself trying to reach the peak of the house...I rigged a line and and some small pulleys and I can just drop it down, attach lights and raise back into place.

The part that pisses me off is that I can put the stupid lights away as careful as can be, plug them in after they are wrapped up to make sure they all work and tuck away neatly then 11 months later half of them somehow no longer work?

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
They have these with LED bulbs and battery power if, like me, you think bending over to plug something decorative into an outlet is too much damn trouble.

Technically, he didn't say a damn thing about plugging the damn thing in.

Why would you bother?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Sweet! But Georgeair does have a point...

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My wife has multi-colored LED's on all of our trees already. I don't participate in that exercise. If I don't bug her to take them down in the spring, they grow into the tree.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a co-worker whose tree was up & lit Nov 1. I give him a pass as he has 2 small kids.
My parents always waited until early December. Something about not wanting me to think they were skipping my birthday or some such.
I won't even put in the effort that PHPaul is. Don't own decoration one.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
I won't even put in the effort that PHPaul is. Don't own decoration one.

There's a bit of a story behind that.

After the kids were grown and left home, wife and I just started ignoring Christmas entirely, not being actively religious.

As mentioned in another thread, family and finances required my wife to come home to Maine a couple of years before I was able to accompany her. While living here, she continued our tradition of ignoring holidays in general and Christmas in particular.

Her sister is one of those compulsively cheerful nutjobs that decorates at the drop of a hat and was giving her constant grief about not decorating for the holidays.

My Loving Wife, having lived with my curmudgeonly self for lo those many years, decided it was time to stick a finger in her sister's eye so she went to K Mart and bought the cheapest plastic POS decoration she could find.

Then she badgered her sister into making a special trip by the house to "see her Christmas decoration".

Instant tradition...

Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then she badgered her sister into making a special trip by the house to "see her Christmas decoration".Instant tradition...

My kinda girl!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I have never bought a tree or put up lights. Until I can find a 6-12 foot illuminated, water and winter proof, cross that disassembles for storage I won’t buy anything. If y’all see something like that I’ll order and put it in the front yard.

When I was married, I would set up the tree at the beginning of December. Just set it up, that's all. Ex wife and daughter did the decorating. January 2nd, they took the decorations off and I disassembled the tree.
It has been 7 years now and I don't do anything anymore.
I did see some lights last Friday and I wanted to stop at the house and ask WTF.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget the Christmas Tree. For those who want a real one -

Christmas revelers may have a harder time finding a Christmas tree this year – and may have sticker shock when they do so – because of the economic recession a decade ago.

Declining Christmas tree sales in 2007, during the Great Recession, led tree growers to plant fewer trees, according to Doug Hundley, a spokesperson for the National Christmas Tree Association, the trade association representing the Christmas tree industry.

“The result, 10 years later, is today's smaller supply,” said Hundley, noting that a 7- or 8-foot Christmas tree takes about 10 years to grow.

“Unfortunately it is happening at a time when the economy is good and demand is high,” he told ABC News. “We cannot manufacture real Christmas trees.”

The exact increase in price for Christmas trees this year will vary based on the type of tree, its size and the location where the tree is purchased, according to Hundley.

Hundley recommends shopping for a Christmas tree in early December as opposed to later in the month to ensure the stock is still there.

A report published earlier this year by GWD Forestry, a Spain-based sustainable forestry company, said that a combination of factors affecting U.S.-grown Christmas trees means that "the shortage of popular-size Christmas trees will most likely continue through to 2025 at least."

ABC News

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

My Loving Wife, having lived with my curmudgeonly self for lo those many years, decided it was time to stick a finger in her sister's eye so she went to K Mart and bought the cheapest plastic POS decoration she could find.

Then she badgered her sister into making a special trip by the house to "see her Christmas decoration".

Instant tradition...

That's funny. I liked how she badgered her into making a special trip. :-)

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post