SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The mindset of people today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The mindset of people today Login/Join 
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted
I'm not an old man by any stretch (I'll be 37 next week) but I'm absolutely fed up with the way a lot of people act nowadays.

-Selfies: When did we become so self-centered that we need to take 8 million pictures of ourselves doing absolutely pointless things?

-Lack of common courtesy: Is it so hard to hold open doors for others or acknowledge someone by saying a simple thank you for said gesture.

-The "happy wife, happy life" approach to relationships: Last time I checked, it took 2 people to make a relationship work and if 1 person is constantly sacrificing his/her happiness for that of the other, it's not fair and is inviting failure.

I know that this post isn't very well organized, but I'm exhausted, having a frustrating day, and just need to get this off of my chest. I just think the world would be a much better place if people weren't so selfish.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I hear ya brother, and I AM an old man.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I hear you. Last year, we were on vacation, literally in paradise, and some chick just a bit down the beach could not stop taking pictures of herself. This wasn't a selfie, it was an album of selfies. All the effing same shot. Not a model, not a photo shoot, just some chick with her phone or GoPro on a stick.
The most ridiculous thing I've seen for a while. Look around, girl. It is gorgeous out, the view is gorgeous, even the pool boys are gorgeous, and you're just taking 100s of pictures of yourself with very little background.

Wow. Soak up the world instead of your own image.
Talk about self-infatuation.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Word.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Christ, don't get me started with the selfie shit. I see it almost every weekend and even some people older than me(49). It thoroughly disgusts me.
The problem as I see it is most people have become attention whores. You can now take a picture and put it in various spots with a push of a button.
I had a thread on this before but there was a study and they found that a lot of people who post selfies on social media have low self esteem. What they're doing is posting these and then the people who comment and/or like the picture gives them a better feeling of themselves. I'll try to find the link.
As for common courtesy, that's another button. Just be nice. Please and thank you. You get more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.adweek.com/digital/...ion-low-self-esteem/

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
People suck, and the ratio of suckage goes up as you increase the quantity of people in the situation

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That video is YUGE!

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Something very wrong with that video!!! Took up my whole screen

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I took over 5,000 photos last year and not one of them was a selfie. What a stupid, stupid concept. I know what I look like. I want a picture of what I see.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I took over 5,000 photos last year and not one of them was a selfie. What a stupid, stupid concept. I know what I look like. I want a picture of what I see.

Mike

Exactly. Last weekend I saw those fucking selfie sticks being used by some people. Multiple pictures of them posing. These were people in their 50's.
I wasn't the only one laughing at them. Meanwhile, there was a great band playing while they were posting their pictures everywhere. Morons.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
I hear you. Last year, we were on vacation, literally in paradise, and some chick just a bit down the beach could not stop taking pictures of herself. This wasn't a selfie, it was an album of selfies. All the effing same shot. Not a model, not a photo shoot, just some chick with her phone or GoPro on a stick.
The most ridiculous thing I've seen for a while. Look around, girl. It is gorgeous out, the view is gorgeous, even the pool boys are gorgeous, and you're just taking 100s of pictures of yourself with very little background.

Wow. Soak up the world instead of your own image.
Talk about self-infatuation.
I was on a tour of Italy in Fall '15. One of the ladies on the tour was complained a few times about money but at one point shared that her selfie stick was $300 (not a typo. Blue tooth "trigger," lithium ion built-in battery, etc.). She took several dozen selfies a day and it got old waiting on her.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
That video is YUGE!

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Something very wrong with that video!!! Took up my whole screen

yea, it seems the forum doesn't like the youtube embed code.I'd advise against using it.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
I have a relatives that cannot take enough pictures of themselves every week, and post them ASAP. What I really don't understand is their constant taking pictures of their food, and posting that. I recently took a picture of pop tarts and a beer and said breakfast of champions, or go to Whataburger and take pictures of that and send it to them?

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
What I really don't understand is their constant taking pictures of their food, and posting that.

Are they Asian? We have a tendency to do that... Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
The lack of "thanks" when holding a door is fucking infuriating to me. If you can't thank a person for such a simple gesture, whether you wanted the door held or not, then you must be an empty person inside.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
The lack of "thanks" when holding a door is fucking infuriating to me. If you can't thank a person for such a simple gesture, whether you wanted the door held or not, then you must be an empty person inside.

I hate this too. At work, there are double doors at most places, so if I don't get a thanks after holding the first one, I try to let the second one hit them.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post