SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I was born at night...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was born at night... Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
but it wasn't LAST night...

SWMBO decided she didn't want a gas stove in the house any more so that Big Dollar Jenn-Air dual fuel had to go and be replaced by an all-electric stove.

Yes, dear...

Of course, the appliance place offered to haul off the old one for free. Uh...yeah...NO! That's a $2000 stove with nothing wrong with it!

Put it on Craigslist, got an immediate response: "I'm really, really interested in buying your stove, I'm a serious buyer, text me at xxx."

San Jose California area code. Gee, I'll get right on that. I'd just LOVE to be inundated with text spam...

(I've posted numerous times about successful Craigslist transactions just to aggravate the naysayers, seems only fair to mention when I run into the usual bullshit)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty specific proper English response. I wouldn't write it off as spam based on that alone.

A lot of people move and keep their mobile numbers from wherever it is they came from. I bet roughly 10% of my St. Louis customers have area codes from outside this area.

You may have encountered somebody that just moved to town and needs a stove. Or it may be a scam. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I considered that, so I replied to their email saying "That's a San Jose area code, where are you actually?"

Crickets...

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
What a1a said. I live in DC metro area. No one around here has a local number, very transient city.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I considered that, so I replied to their email saying "That's a San Jose area code, where are you actually?"

Crickets...

Give em a chance. I have an 858 area code on my phone and as I've had the number for about 20+ years, have preferred to keep regardless of where I live. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I live in the 407 & 321 area codes. I would say that more than half the people I correspond with, who live locally, have different area codes.

Used to be, when you moved, you got a new number (landline). Now that everybody is using cell phones, they tend to keep their numbers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I agree with the fluid area codes, but ...

It could be that, while they may be in San Jose, they are acting for a friend, currently holding millions of dollars in Kenya. They are just looking for a safe way to ship the money and your stove may be just what they need to hold all that cash. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Just sold a camera two nights ago to someone with a Florida area code.

I always try to make at least one phone call at some point in the transaction.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I responded to an ad placed in the 801 (Salt Lake City) Area Code listing the location as Salt Lake City in the ad. When I said I would buy the trailer they said it was in Virginia But I could put the money into Google Pay and they would ship the trailer to me. I asked them to call me so we could discuss the purchase...
Still no call (and no sale)

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have been getting responses like this:

Thanks for your response.i will like to let you know that am interested in the
item we are taking about,is that the last price you want to sell or i make an offer?
what is the present condition of this item?
i will love to know if the condition is as you posted it,i have had a bad experience in the past and i don't want to make the same mistake again.
Am ready to buy immediately,i have an urgent need of it,i will also like you to know i will be paying by a certified check or a cashier check,
if we agree on the price i will order my personal Assistant to issue Payment immediately as am in Europe presently for a conference.
As per the shipping i have a reputable shipping company that has agents all over the US
who will come for the pick up after you must have confirmed your payment.if you are fine with terms,
i will like you to forward the following information so i can forward to my PA for immediate issuance of payment.
1.Your full name(as it will appear on the cheque)
2.Your postal address.
3.Your postal code.
4.Your phone number.
5.Your personal email address.
i will be waiting patiently for your response and i will love it
if you can take the item away from the posting and consider it sold.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

SWMBO decided she didn't want a gas stove in the house any more so that Big Dollar Jenn-Air dual fuel had to go and be replaced by an all-electric stove.

I've never in my life heard of anyone who WANTED to get away from a gas stove and go electric! Usually it's the other way around, I HATE electric and have been stuck using them for a while now.

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I've never in my life heard of anyone who WANTED to get away from a gas stove and go electric! Usually it's the other way around, I HATE electric and have been stuck using them for a while now.

I know, I know. But she has decided she's scared of propane and no amount of male logic will convince her otherwise, so this is one of those situations where the smart husband (and/or one who's been married for many, MANY years...) just says "Yes, Dear" and soldiers on.

Of course, I have to buy a gas grill too so we'll have something to cook on when the power is out. Apparently gas stoves are da debbil but gas grills are okay...

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
So what new stove did you get as a replacement?

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
So what new stove did you get as a replacement?

A very basic GE electric. 4 coil burners and an oven.

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Wow. I would have thought at least an induction cooktop or other premium upgrade to replace a gas stove. Does your wife like to cook or is it just another chore that needs to get done? I think I would keep the old oven for a while in case she changes her mind.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got an induction cooktop, and the danged thing is amazing! It boils an entire pot of water in the blink of an eye, and offers nearly instantaneous temperature adjustments.

We had to get new cookware, but it has been entirely worth it. I did have to upgrade from a 40 to a 50A circuit, and ran 6-0 wiring to it vs the 8-0 that was installed before, but it was an easy run in my case.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Of course, I have to buy a gas grill too so we'll have something to cook on when the power is out. Apparently gas stoves are da debbil but gas grills are okay...

My brother was cleaning and testing a portable camp stove, gas-powered, some sort of pump to pressurize the tank. The tank fell out while the burner was lit, and the ensuing fire did smoke damage to the entire house. Luckily, my brother escaped with minor burns, and put out the fire before the fire dept arrived. The insulation strip around the refrigerator door was melted, almost 20 feet from where the fire started.

True story. Tell your wife.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9146 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow. I would have thought at least an induction cooktop or other premium upgrade to replace a gas stove. Does your wife like to cook or is it just another chore that needs to get done? I think I would keep the old oven for a while in case she changes her mind.

@ 74, she's a little tired of cooking, but is VERY good at it as my waistline can attest.

Never has liked a gas oven, feels that an electric is much more consistent. OTOH, I hate electric burners, seems like they only have two temperatures: too hot and too cold.

But I've long since given up trying to figure out the female mind...

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I see now. I was thinking more stove top then oven.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

@ 74, she's a little tired of cooking, but is VERY good at it as my waistline can attest.

Never has liked a gas oven, feels that an electric is much more consistent. OTOH, I hate electric burners, seems like they only have two temperatures: too hot and too cold.

But I've long since given up trying to figure out the female mind...

Mind?

The female mind gets mentioned a lot in Sig Forum.

Its not a mind, its a Maze.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post