SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Travelocity and Airline Problems. This is just ridiculous.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travelocity and Airline Problems. This is just ridiculous. Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
Issue #1- We were able to cancel our trip to Japan last March (April trip). After several emails and phone calls with Travelocity, we were promised a FULL Refund for both the 3 roundtrip tickets and the Travel Protection policy we purchased. We received the refund for the Travel Protection Policy we purchased ($114). We are still waiting for the $1,790 for the Airline tickets. We were told 6-8 Weeks, in writing. I am on the phone with a Travelocity agent for over an hour now. Just to be told that the "Airline did not process their original request for refund". I was told that he will submit another request to the airline for the refund, which will take another 6-8 weeks from today. I said FINE. Send me another email regarding that statement. (I will just file a dispute with the credit card company I used to purchase those tickets). I do understand there might be thousands of people requesting for refunds. But if they promise you 8 weeks, I expect 8 weeks. What the Fu** would happen if I did not call today???

Issue #2 - I received an email today from Travelocity that my flight has been cancelled due to bla-bla-bla. NO specific Itinerary, Airline, Date or Destination. How am I supposed to know which Travel Ticket is this. So again, I asked the Travelocity agent about this email from today. I was informed that "This is for the Asiana Airline Return Trip that my mom was supposed to fly with, back into the U.S. on 06/01/2020, which has a lay over in Seoul, South Korea". What puzzles me is that Travelocity's website is still showing that ticket to be In-Progress". I was told that they cannot give me any other information, that I should contact Asiana Airline directly. Great!!!

Issue #3 - In anticipation of that Asiana Airline flight being cancelled, I purchased my mom a separate One-Way return ticket to Los Angeles via Philippine Airline (direct flight) for $785 for June 9th. Last week, I received an email from PAL saying my mom's flight has been re-scheduled to the 14th (fine with us). I checked both PAL and Travelocity's website. June 9th is SOLD OUT! I guess they over booked and bumped other passengers to the next available flight. Out of curiosity, I checked how much a One-Way ticket to LAX on that same flight (June 14th). Last week, it was $1,875. Today, it is showing $985. Wow!!!

Airline and Travel Agency surely are crazy these day.

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Similar experience, insurance and airlines putting everything off, simply called Amex and disputed the charge, this should have been a simple fix, however I get that they have probably more chargebacks than they can handle.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Had a similar experience, but luckily with a better outcome.

I bought my tickets via Chase Rewards Travel. I canceled the flight once the hysteria hit. Chase told me I would get a voucher. I waited a month and received nothing, so I called Chase again. After waiting on hold for a while, I got the same story. I waited another month, but still received nothing.

I happened to check the airline website and saw that they had eventually canceled the flight after I had canceled my ticket. So, when I called the third time, I told Chase that, as the airline had canceled the flight, I didn't want a voucher I wanted my money back. They told me it could take 8 weeks, but I got the refund in less than 10 days.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stop using Travelocity and search travelocity for the flights and then book the flight directly with the airline offering it. Travelocity really sucks when it comes to refunds, changes or any of that.

Perhaps they don't have the money to give the refunds......I'm sure they're waiting on airlines to return money from canceled flight, have already given lots of refunds and still have lots of overhead.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always book directly with airlines and hotels for domestic carriers, and make sure you understand the terms - cancellation policy, refunds, etc. Also make sure you are a member of the airline and hotel frequent traveler club, since they will be more compliant if there is an issue.

The various travel "sites" make their money getting discounts from the providers in exchange for more restrictive terms that make changes and cancellations more difficult.

The airlines have gotten bailout money, so there is some recourse. Travel sites, probably not.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
The various travel "sites" make their money getting discounts from the providers in exchange for more restrictive terms that make changes and cancellations more difficult.

Exactly.

You're probably SOL on the refund due to you cancelling the trip, not them. They will most likely offer a voucher.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By law, they must refund. Don't accept a voucher.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
By law, they must refund. Don't accept a voucher.

By law, airlines, yes. If THEY cancel or reschedule, not if you cancel.

Tour companies, no.

Unless the law changed.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post