SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    USAA can bite me!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USAA can bite me! Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Finally have my truck back from the bodyshop after a hit and run. The whole experience has been one charlie foxtrot after another. The biggest part was USAA does not have a presence in Alaska, they hire a third party to do their claims work. Well, the third party lost my truck for almost 3 weeks. How in the name of Zues's butthole does one lose a bright red full sized F-150? Then they recommended body shop, "Forgot" to order parts.

So a little over 6 weeks and I finally have my truck back. Now the kick in the toolkit is USAA refusing to pay beyond 30 days for the rental reimbursement. Even though the adjuster repeatedly assured me they would cover the rental until repair were finished. Their response, "He wasn't authorized to say that, your contract only allows for 30 days." Even though their 3rd party lost my truck, "We're not responsible for the actions of a third party." Even though their recommended shop delayed in ordering parts, "We're not in control of what inventory at the bodyshop."

I absolutely lost it today with my adjuster not answering his phone or returning phone calls. Then the phone rep tells me there are no supervisors available to address the problem until after New Years. At least Enterprise is accommodating in not issuing final billing until this is resolved.

I think it's time to find a new insurance company.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The rates quoted by a new insurance company may factor in the recent claim.

I would be surprised if Erie Insurance is out your way, but as they sell through brokers, you may find them to your liking.

Surely State Farm is out there? Big, stable, procedurally focused, and never a problem for me.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am new to USAA after 60 years with Liberty Mutual. The latter lost me after hiking my auto insurance 40% for no discernible reason. The biggest problem I have had with USAA so far is their obsession with "security". I am already a member, so it should not take 45 minutes on the phone, going through security questions, just to get a quote on auto insurance. Of course, since my last contact with them was over a year ago, when I applied for a credit card, I have no idea what my pin number or password is. So, I had to change my password. Don't even ask how that went. Complicated? Lets just say, I still don't have one. I must say, they were very responsive to a recent claim my son had but it must be easier to hack CIA files than penetrate USAA "security".

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My response to them would be, “Know what I have control of buddy? The company that gets my business!” Click, switch, so long you aggravating pricks!

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't get me started on how they are treating members of the Coast Guard during this shutdown, Navy Fed will be getting hundreds if not thousands of coasties switching and leaving USAA behind

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Dealing with insurance companies is difficult. Unfortunately you might not get a lot better service if you switch. You wouldn't have the same problem but you'll probably have a problem.

Wait until after New Years. When you do get to talk with a supervisor ask what they would want done if they were in your shoes. That sometimes gets the other party out of the 'I gotta enforce the policy language' to 'let's find a resolution that makes sense.'

Best of luck.

P.S. Consider sending a letter to the insurance commissioner with a complaint. Have it ready to go but don't send until after you talk with the supervisor.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've been with USAA for going on 20 years and have never had an issue with them. While I have only made one claim (homeowner's), it was dealt with swiftly and efficiently and I had a check in my hand inside of two weeks.

They even reimbursed me for my hotel room because I was unable to inhabit my home due to mold from my water heater disaster. No questions asked beyond the basics.

They've consistently had the best rates for me, and I'll stick with them.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I gave USAA the boot earlier this year after being insured by them for 20 years. I truly believe that their service took a hit and their rates really increased after they opened up the rolls.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I was thinking about moving to USAA. Yikes.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
Don't get me started on how they are treating members of the Coast Guard during this shutdown, Navy Fed will be getting hundreds if not thousands of coasties switching and leaving USAA behind

I've had both USAA and Navy Federal since 1987. USAA, while not always having the lowest rates, has consistently handled the few claims I have had quickly and efficiently. Navy Federal OTOH couldn't be bothered to help with a personal financial situation - the only request I've ever made of them in 31 years. Guess who I said goodbye to?

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Les007:
And I was thinking about moving to USAA. Yikes.

Well, you still might want to. I have a clean driving record and Liberty Mutual, out of the blue, jacked my premium from $1400 to $1900. USAA quoted me $950.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So a little over 6 weeks and I finally have my truck back. Now the kick in the toolkit is USAA refusing to pay beyond 30 days for the rental reimbursement. Even though the adjuster repeatedly assured me they would cover the rental until repair were finished. Their response, "He wasn't authorized to say that, your contract only allows for 30 days." Even though their 3rd party lost my truck, "We're not responsible for the actions of a third party." Even though their recommended shop delayed in ordering parts, "We're not in control of what inventory at the bodyshop."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you continue to apply pressure at the right points they will cover the rental. I have been through this with State Farm and other insurance companies. Just move up the chain of command and the rental will be covered. Simply state the facts. At this point I would not bother with the adjuster on the claim. I will guarantee that this is not the first time it has happened. The insurance company can lean on the body shop in terms of future business. USAA has lots of options.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
I gave USAA the boot earlier this year after being insured by them for 20 years. I truly believe that their service took a hit and their rates really increased after they opened up the rolls.

While not necessarily a popular statement, this is indeed VERY true.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 647 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
My youngest son, former Navy, had USAA almost from day one in the Navy. But between rates and service he dropped them and went with Erie Ins out of PA. I doubt they insure in AK. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
USAA is an insurance scam for the military. AARP is an insurance scam for old people ran by liberals.

I have been with State Farm for over fifty years in several states. Their service has been great. I have multiple vehicle policies, a home owner's policy with riders, and an umbrella policy with discounts for multiple policies. When they are all combined, I have yet to find cheaper or better service insurance.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a young enlistee in the 1990's I visited a USAA office to see what their rates might be for my vehicle at the time. Nope - "We're only for officers.", the agents told me. What was odd to me was that two of the three dudes in the office working as agents were retired chiefs.

They began allowing enlisted members, and others, to partake of their services sometime after I got out, but I've never considered USAA for anything since that visit. My money wasn't good enough for USAA then, so I'll be sure to continue to not patronize them ever.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've said before and I repeat here "find yourself an independent insurance agent." He represents several companies. He can find you the coverage you want. It may not always be the cheapest but when your claim goes "sideways" he will be the one that goes to bat for you and help make it right.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
USAA saved me $440 per MONTH when my daughter got her drivers lic. I was with Allstate for years and they continually f*cked me, day and day out

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LimaCharlie:
USAA is an insurance scam for the military...

Not sure of your definition of a “scam”. USAA has done good by me on multiple occasions.

1. My wife had an at fault accident where she totaled our car and the one she hit. I received better then KBB for our car, plus additional payment for tires that hands less than 10K miles on them. Claim could not have gone any smoother. Rates didn’t rise (accident forgiveness on policy)

2. Rodent damage to my F150 - covered under comp including rental car for 3 weeks while the truck wasn’t driveable.

3. Windshield replacement. Again, quick easy and folks always pleasant to deal with.

4. Sideswiped on freeway interchange. No questions asked, immediately took my word and proclaimed other driver at fault (other driver claims my fault). USAA and his insurance now fighting it out, two phone calls and I am done. I never even talked to the other driver’s insurance co. USAA advised not to and said they would handle it. Again, hassle/trouble free process. Oh, and they ok’d the shop to cut me a check for the cost of two factory wheels ($1500+) out of their payment which will cover four aftermarket wheels AND two tires.

After the latest round of ”Fuck USAA!” posts I did shop around and no one came close. Some (Liberty as an example) were almost 3x my current USAA rate.

Even when combining House/Auto no one is close and since I have yet to have a bad experience with USAA I see no reason to change. Currently my homeowners is $300 year LESS than I paid a few years back for renters insurance (Farmers)

I was a long time State Farm customer, until my oldest son started driving. While Farmers was still the best price for my wife and I, they were 2.5 times what my “new” insurance (AAA) charged for my son. Combined, us, son, and house AAA beat State Farm by a few hundred dollars a year. Once we became empty nesters, I shopped around and no one beat USAA rates. Been with them since (about 6 years now).

Clearly different circumstances for different folks in different locations. Curious why such drastic differences.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post