SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Todays Rant: The complexity of the Hot Dog Bun.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Todays Rant: The complexity of the Hot Dog Bun. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I like brats, they come in packages of 6 (or 5). Buns come in pkgs of 8. I’ve always got leftover buns in the fridge til they become birdfood.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:

I like brats, they come in packages of 6 (or 5). Buns come in pkgs of 8. I’ve always got leftover buns in the fridge til they become birdfood.
Open the package of buns. Put two (or three) in the freezer. Repeat the next time you buy some. Given time, it will all come out even. Birds will not be happy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Seems like the top is always an inch thick and the bottom is barely there. I wonder if Japanese and German hot dog rolls have tighter tolerances. Smile

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That video must be third word,no gloves, hats or any cleanliness shown in it.
Been in many food productions company's and you do not see that kind of crap.
Wise pork skins is the only one I saw disgusting behavior much worse than this.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked at that video, too (not that I really want to get too deep in an argument over hot dog buns).

First thing I noticed was the no gloves, no hats. Maybe it's third world, I just couldn't tell.

These days, it seems everywhere I go where food of any kind is sold, there's gloves, hats and those beard and mustache coverings on all the folks near the food.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
First thing I noticed was the no gloves, no hats. Maybe it's third world, I just couldn't tell

^^^^^^^^^^^
OK but did you enjoy the music?? LOL

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont think the bun bakers are in the good ol' USA.
And the Yoop Wal-Marts bun selection, based on the in store availability clicker is quite poor.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK but did you enjoy the music?? LOL

Sorry, and I do appreciate you posting the video, but after the first few notes, I turned off the sound. I like Southern Gospel and Western Swing and that's about it.

I had to go back to determine what the music on the vid was-and I am very glad I turned off the sound.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
4:54 has the a full auto hotdog machine in action!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I see your top sliced buns, and raise you the Czech method of doing things...Parek v Rohliku. They actually have special machines with heated probes for this...they slice the end off the roll, shove the roll onto the probe which creates the cavity and toasts the roll on the inside for a bit, then add condiments and the hot dog...inside the roll. Also, Rohliks are sold individually, so none of this absurd buying a pack of 8 buns for 10 hot dogs nonsense.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see your top sliced buns, and raise you the Czech method
I have had similar hot dogs from sidewalk vendors in France. Very good they are!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

You can thank me later.

If you like chili dogs, top sliced is the only way to go.

They have a sweet version kinda like Hawaiian rolls that I like.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Where does COSTCO get their buns. It’s more like a French roll with a slice in it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Aldi sells delicious top-sliced tube steak buns, if there are any Aldi stores up there in the Yoop. They are perfect.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
55 miles to the nearest Aldi in Escanaba.
Might be worth the drive!

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using toasted sweet baguettes cut to size for sausages (I try to avoid hot dogs now for health reasons). After toasting, they are crisp in the outside, soft on the inside but still robust to not fall apart after all the fixings (which for me is generally diced onions and mustard).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Baguettes is a viable option. There is a bake shop here that has them. Thanks!

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Baguettes is a viable option. There is a bake shop here that has them. Thanks!
Combine two of the preceding suggestions and wind up with something that is really good: when you make the schlep to Aldi, grab a few of the Take-And-Bake baguettes from the bread area. When you're ready to use them, pre-heat the oven, 375 to 400, bake for five to ten minutes, and you'll have a great sandwich / hot dog. Really good, it might even turn out to be your primary general purpose bread.

I usually buy extra and put the ones I don't need right away in the freezer. They thaw pretty quickly before baking.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים