SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Todays Rant: The complexity of the Hot Dog Bun.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Todays Rant: The complexity of the Hot Dog Bun. Login/Join 
posted
I am a hot dog fanatic. I search the Yoop for a great dog. Chicago style, or Coney dog, doesnt matter. Love them all. In the Yoop, you can even find venison dogs. I dont care what parts are used to make the hot dog, either. At home, I go all beef.
Rant:
Why in the name of all thats holy, cant the manufacturers and sellers of hot dog buns learn how to slice the damn buns?
The slice is always off center. Or too shallow. Or too deep. A crappy slice job detracts greatly from the hot dog experience! Often this causes the assembled dog to fall apart. When trolling the bun aisle, I found unsliced buns!
Eureka! If you a job done right, slice it yourself! But the unsliced cost almost a dollar more a bag! All I yearn for is a reasonably priced, properly sliced bun.
When, oh Lord, when?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the delightful music. I hear the machine is available for purchase.LOL

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Martin’s? A premium product.

https://foodservice.potatoroll...s/long-potato-rolls/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Martins up here, AFAIK. But I will look for them. They look good!

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

You can thank me later.

If you like chili dogs, top sliced is the only way to go.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
But the unsliced cost almost a dollar more a bag!
If that impacts your bottom line considerably, you should re-evaluate a number of things in your life. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top sliced? Genius!

posted Hide Post
The top sliced buns are the cat's meow (that means it's a good/great thing).

Just stuff the dog down in the slit and pour on the condiments or, if you're a heathen, stuff the condos in before the dog.

Either way, the top sliced buns are great and it's all we buy.

Bob

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If that impacts your bottom line considerably, you should re-evaluate a number of things in your life.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was funny. Maybe someone could post a video of the hot dog making process. That would help solve his dilemma as well.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I lubs me some Wonder Bread buns.

Or is that; white bread buns. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A buck is a buck. I’ll just buy the regular sliced and turn it so the slit is up and pretend I’m eating the more expensive bun. I like a steamed or toasted, grilled bun.

The Chicago dog is my favorite, poppyseed steamed buns! # 1!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A buck is a buck. I’ll just buy the regular sliced and turn it so the slit is up and pretend I’m eating the more expensive bun. I like a steamed or toasted, grilled bun.

^^^^^^
Have you tried shopping at the Day Old breadstore?? Some real bargains to be had! Dented cans of spam as well...

posted Hide Post
I’ll pass on the dented cans. I’ve seen green fuzzie stuff weeping near the dents. I do find good buys at the dollar store.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I agree that the Martins potato hotdog bun are the best in the nation. Premium stuff. Pretty expensive too, like $3.69 a pack, about twice the cost of store brand buns. But they are worth it.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
New England style hot dog buns....problem solved Smile

Stood up to getting loaded with whatever, easy to open. Smile

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New England Style? Thats news to me.

posted Hide Post
This is clearly a first world problem. Big Grin My biggest gripe of hot dog buns is that the manufacturers are now making them too small and that many of the hot dogs are clearly too long for the hot dog buns.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
well, New England does seem to be the only place you can reliably find the top split buns.

Not only are they superior for filling and holding, but when buttered and grilled on the sides they reach new levels. Just couldn't have a lobster roll without them.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is saddening for me. Lots of better bun choices exist, but none in the Yoop. We truly are in the sticks.

posted Hide Post
The New Egland style are the best. A little butter and toasted before adding your hot dog. They work well for dogs, brats, and sloppy joes.

Posts: 545 | Location: OH | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post