SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    300 bucks to replace a windshield washer pump!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 bucks to replace a windshield washer pump! Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Daughter just got quoted at a local trusted shop we have used for years.

Infinity QX60.

Pumps can be found for many cars for 20 bucks or less... but You can't buy just the pump... on no... have to buy the whole tank.

I searched around and that actually seems to be about the going charge.

Even used ones on eBay seem to run around 100 bucks!

But could Nissian have made this thing any more convoluted??? WTF.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
But could Nissian have made this thing any more convoluted??? WTF.

And that doesn't include all the body parts that have to be taken off.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$900.00 , p & L for two door lock actuators on a 2019 dodge grand caravan mini van.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found several washer pumps online for less than $200. Labor guide is less than 1 hr to replace. Take of wheel and remove the inner fender. Doesn't seem that difficult. That's the problem with Infinity, Lexus, and Acura. They are overpriced versions of base model vehicles. Usually you can figure parts about 30% more than you would pay for a comparative Nissan, Toyota, or Honda.

Posts: 545 | Location: OH | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My local dealership wanted $56.00 to change the cabin air filter on mine or my wife's car.
I do it my self and it takes me less than 10 minutes at the most.
The filter from my local auto parts store usually cost no more than $15.00.

They used to take it out to have the service advisor show it to me so they took the time to remove it. I tell the no thank you I do it my self.
Now I tell the service advisor not to remove it to show me I change my own.

If they charged $30.00 total I would let them do it. To me not having to go to the auto parts store and emptying the glove compartment would be worth it, but not for $56.00.

I also do the same for the engine air filter in my cars.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Ford dealer once who charged me a half hour of labor (I believe, it was a lot) because I ordered the plastic bracket that holds your hood bracket in place. Literally the little plastic piece that pushes into place with a snap. I was astounded. My seven year old at the time could have “installed” this nickel sized plastic piece in seconds. Horrible dealership.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Back when I had an 08 BMW 335i, the windshield washer pump died as well.

Just like simmy952 stated, I also had to remove the passenger front wheel, the inner fender, and there was the pump. The only reason I found it was going through some u-tube videos/instructions.

All in all it probably took me about an hour starting from when I had to lift the front end to dropping the front end back down to the ground.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
My local dealership wanted $56.00 to change the cabin air filter on mine or my wife's car.
I do it my self and it takes me less than 10 minutes at the most.
The filter from my local auto parts store usually cost no more than $15.00.

They used to take it out to have the service advisor show it to me so they took the time to remove it. I tell the no thank you I do it my self.
Now I tell the service advisor not to remove it to show me I change my own.

If they charged $30.00 total I would let them do it. To me not having to go to the auto parts store and emptying the glove compartment would be worth it, but not for $56.00.

I also do the same for the engine air filter in my cars.

A lot of times the technician and or the service writer only goes by the manufacturers recommendations for replacement or fluid services, not by actual inspections.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I just had my '18 Forester in to the dealers shop for the 48K oil change(coupon made it worth the trip). So on the courtesy check - they harp on the 'we "recommend" a change of the CVT and rear diff fluids'....they said the same at 24K. I show then the Subaru maint schedule - no where does it say CHANGE - it says check levels.
'Well...our service tech checks the color and condition and recommends a change'
Then they go---and your rear brakes are at 4mm...state inspection min is 3mm - we recommend you get rotors machined and pads replaced.

Ummm---no thanks...maybe next time.

I have a local Subaru shop---take care of the rest of my stable for 20 years now and almost half the labor rate - I have utmost trust in them. Take it to there and say---dealer said brakes and fluids - let me know.

Fluids are fine - never a need to change at that low mileage....oh and your brakes are at 9/32(7mm) not the 4mm the dealer told you.

I will be in the face of the dealer Service Manager this week. A recommend is a pad - but writing down brakes at 4mm is just fraud.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4562 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Get a price on changing the water pump on a Ford Flex...

$1,700- 2,000!

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

$1,700- 2,000!

I'm well acquainted with those. Putting the water pump - a part guaranteed to fail at some point because it can't be lubricated by the engine oil - inside of the engine and driven by the timing chain is ridiculous. The variance in cost is whether or not or how many timing components (chains, tensioner, guides, camshaft sprockets) need to be replaced while in there.

Say, how about the Toyota Tundra/Sequoia emissions air injection pumps, the 4.7 starter under the intake manifold (also the Nissan Titan) or having to remove the entire engine to replace the steering gear? No fraud needed to make these huge repair bills, just stupid design.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sgalczyn,

I can just about guarantee that the "needed" fluid change comes from the playlist of one of the aftermarket automotive flush and fluid companies out there.

High profit for the shop, service writers and technicians get spiffs for selling and installing. a win-win for everyone but the customer.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
I have a 2005 Mazda RX-8. Several years (8-10) ago the low coolant light started to go off. It looks like the Jefferson Memorial. The light not the tank. I researched it and found that the sensor was bad. Only way to get it was a coolant reservoir. But 90% of the time when you took it off it resulted in a broken connection to the radiator. And that is only available as the whole radiator.

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Overheard at the bar shortly after close of business:

So, boss, I got a guy to pay $300 for a lousy windshield washer pump today!

Boss: And you let him get away without a cabin air filter?

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

$1,700- 2,000!

I'm well acquainted with those. Putting the water pump - a part guaranteed to fail at some point because it can't be lubricated by the engine oil - inside of the engine and driven by the timing chain is ridiculous. The variance in cost is whether or not or how many timing components (chains, tensioner, guides, camshaft sprockets) need to be replaced while in there.

Say, how about the Toyota Tundra/Sequoia emissions air injection pumps, the 4.7 starter under the intake manifold (also the Nissan Titan) or having to remove the entire engine to replace the steering gear? No fraud needed to make these huge repair bills, just stupid design.

Gotta love the Northstar aka Deathstar for putting the starter under the intake manifold too!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
$900.00 , p & L for two door lock actuators on a 2019 dodge grand caravan mini van.

GM used that same playbook a number of years ago with "modules", window regulator, door lock and lock actuator as a complete assembly. If memory is correct they finally started to break that up and sell them as separate components due to customer complaints.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead
Gotta love the Northstar aka Deathstar for putting the starter under the intake manifold too!

Yes, but say hello to the easiest water pump you have ever changed. Wink

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead

Yes, but say hello to the easiest water pump you have ever changed. Wink

Shhh, don't say that too loud. GM will issue a recall about that.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the labor charges are outrageous.
I had to get a replacement key and fob. It was $408 after tax. The BMW dealership then said we need to synch it, it'll be $150 (an hour of labor). I said no thanks. Walked from the parts counter to my car and synched it myself in few seconds and drove off.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post