SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Abuse of handicap parking
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abuse of handicap parking Login/Join 
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
We had ADA compliant bathrooms at my last employer and the paper rolls were normal height .

I took an extended hike on the AT a few years ago. The AT has shelters in most states but they are often located on side trails some distance from the actual trail. Most have an outhouse and usually a water source near. On one stretch I decided to stay at a shelter that was located about a half mile from the trail. That half mile was virtually straight down into a ravine on a goat path, quite the climb down. Once there I discovered a brand new ADA compliant outhouse. It was interesting. The only way a wheelchair was getting there was by helicopter...maybe.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Yeah!

I have not read the thread but have noticed the abuse of handicapped parking for years.

What really bugs the crap out of me about it all those 20 something females in those spray painted pants who park in the reserved spots then jog into the workout place. Then jog back out after their "workout".

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had ADA compliant bathrooms at my last employer and the paper rolls were normal height .
You have toilet paper at work?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So if I have a handicap of 4 while playing golf, maybe I can qualify for a handicap tag?

Posts: 471 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kilroy2721:
So if I have a handicap of 4 while playing golf, maybe I can qualify for a handicap tag?
Four of them, actually.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ask anyone and everyone you know , how many times they have seen a non-compliant, in a h.c. space getting a ticket.

I have asked a half dozen leo's and none of them have ever heard of another l.e.o. writing a h.c. zone ticket

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I see this shit all the time. A car, or more often a big lifted SUV or pickup, pulls into a HC slot at the <whatever, but usually grocery> store. There's an HC tag hanging on the mirror, but the 30-something person who gets out of it is no more handicapped than I am. The tag belongs to her mother or someone, and she borrows it so she doesn't have to walk 20 feet further. If there's ever a vehicle that just begs to be keyed... Mad

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After an audit found a lot of problems, California has passed new rules on the placards.

The DMV has to check names associated with placards with the Social Security Death Master file. It will also require that even those with permanent disabilities submit new qualification paperwork every 6 years. Anyone who loses too many of the placards will have to submit a NEW application in order to qualify.

http://www.latimes.com/politic...55326-htmlstory.html

Each state has different rules about using them.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
You have toilet paper at work?
Yeah , those big rolls the size of a car tire . Big Grin

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
ask anyone and everyone you know , how many times they have seen a non-compliant, in a h.c. space getting a ticket.

I have asked a half dozen leo's and none of them have ever heard of another l.e.o. writing a h.c. zone ticket

I know a cop whose mother is in a wheelchair who writes them almost exclusively. Any downtime he has he sits across from local gas stations that have them and waits for someone to park and walk out not looking handicapped. He'll also inspect placards to make sure they belong to the person using them. $300 fine for a parking violation, and $500 for misusing a placard.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I observed a number of these patrons, none appears to have any disability.

One of the few I wrote. Even when I moved into admin, I'd take a marked unit from time to time and tour the town. I'd write them in a heartbeat.

But the comment that they look "fine" is without basis.

I stopped to see someone with the tag displayed but with no visible indication it would be issued to them. A young lady exited the car and we spoke. I asked if the handicap tag was issued to her and it was. I commented that she didn't appear to be handicapped in any way. She tapped her leg and I hear a metallic sound. She lifted up the pant leg to show the prosthetic. she was actually a bit impressed I couldn't tell. From day day on whenever we passed, I'd get a wave.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
I observed a number of these patrons, none appears to have any disability.
But the comment that they look "fine" is without basis.
I look fine, to everybody except SuperMan. He has X-Ray vision.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
One thing I will never quite understand is handicap parking spots at the gym? Huh? People (handicapped or not) are going there to EXERCISE. Walking is a form of EXERCISE. Confused

There are many forms of exercise that don't involve walking. I couldn't use my right leg normally for months after an injury but still exercised, just not with my legs. Our gym on base does have a handicapped spot and we have a few disabled veterans/retirees who work out there, mainly strength training. Some gyms have arm bikes as well. The handicapped spot makes it a bit easier for them to access the facility.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
We don't have Walmart but we do have a Lowes. I regularly run the plates and handicap permits to make sure they match up. I find quite a few people using deceased relatives permits so they get the $250 citation. Third time I catch them, I tow them.

That's how it's done! Good on Ya.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing I will never quite understand is handicap parking spots at the gym? Huh? People (handicapped or not) are going there to EXERCISE. Walking is a form of EXERCISE. Confused

I know of a person who goes to the gym to use the pool. He has severe back problems, and works to get to the pool and back. He is only fairly free once he gets into the water.

We have to remember that not all disabilities are obvious, or are continuous. A person with breathing, cardiac, or orthopedic issues may be fine one day, but just functioning on another.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm always curious, when I see a handicapped plate on something like a Corvette.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
We don't have Walmart but we do have a Lowes. I regularly run the plates and handicap permits to make sure they match up. I find quite a few people using deceased relatives permits so they get the $250 citation. Third time I catch them, I tow them.

Wow, you are lenient in giving them 3 chances.

Do you still have people who can't learn the first 2 times?

I would imagine getting towed costs a hell of a lot more than $250: tow fee, impound fee, daily storage fees, damage to the vehicle.

Aren't most places cash only to get your vehicle out? Then you have to produce registration and proof of insurance (which I'm sure some are driving uninsured).

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I'm always curious, when I see a handicapped plate on something like a Corvette.

A person can have impaired walking ability that meets the criteria for a handicapped placard for many reasons, including cardiovascular conditions. You can get a handicapped placard if you can't walk without the assistance of a cane/crutches or a brace. You can also get temporary handicapped placards in many, if not all, states. In my state, a temporary handicapped placard can be issued for up to six months. No reason to sell the Corvette unless you need room to store a wheelchair, IMO.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess you've never seen a person in a wheelchair lifting weights.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saturday at the Iowa Costco, two young bucks, mid to late 20's,
park in the h.c. parking place, looked like running backs.

As I walked by I checked for h.c. placards or plates, and found none .

Called it in too the p.d. w/ a plate # and location,
She said they would send a patrol car out.

35 minutes later, still there ,no ticket. No patrol car.

So I double check to make sure there was no placard.

Turns out, there was a decal on the driver's side windshield, with a star and l.e.o. parking permit number on it from illinois

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post