SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Abuse of handicap parking
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abuse of handicap parking Login/Join 
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted
I was at Walmart tonight, couldn't help but notice all handicapped spaces occupied. I observed a number of these patrons, none appears to have any disability. There was, however, one common trait among these drivers...

I don't want to hear any shit about how they may underlying health issues that could go unnoticed. That's not the point, they have no placard or license tag so indicating they're handicapped.

They do have a handicap; they don't or wouldn't recognize it for the enormous fucking self centered, chip on their shoulder.

If I was an enterprising young man, I'd work a deal with Walmart, buy a tow truck and make a damn killing towing their Mercedes' and Lexus'.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the cops will issue tickets for handicapped parking abuse in a Walmart parking lot? Private property and all, but since handicapped parking is usually mandated by law, it may be worth giving them a call.

My girlfriend has to bring oxygen everywhere with her, and it's aggravating to see such abuse. Luckily, around here the abuse is infrequent.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We don't have Walmart but we do have a Lowes. I regularly run the plates and handicap permits to make sure they match up. I find quite a few people using deceased relatives permits so they get the $250 citation. Third time I catch them, I tow them.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My wife is handicapped and she has a window tag, but we seldom use it. If I can drop her at the door and unload her wheelchair, I use regular parking because I am not handicapped.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I wonder if the cops will issue tickets for handicapped parking abuse in a Walmart parking lot?
I don't know whether that varies by jurisdiction, but around here, yes, this abuse merits a ticket that's worth anywhere from $100.00 to $250.00.
A sort of related offense that I see: many (not all) handicap parking slots have a space on the starboard side of the vehicle that is marked by painted hashmarks on the pavement. The purpose of this is to provide reserved room for a wheelchair ramp on the side door of a van. I frequently see vehicles parked in this type area. Doesn't matter whether the vehicle has a handicap placard or license plate, that space is NOT for parking.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
I don't want to hear any shit about how they may underlying health issues that could go unnoticed. That's not the point, they have no placard or license tag so indicating they're handicapped.

One of my best friends in Wickenburg, never used a handicapped tag or plate, parked outside the handicapped spots, though he was certainly entitled. But when he walked the short distance into Safeway, you could hear him struggling for air. He had severe heart disease and the maximum number of stents allowed. You cannot always tell a person's handicap just by looking. I use my wheelchair plate, because I have severe sciatica and need a cane to walk, but I would not judge anyone parking or not parking in the handicap spots, because you just cannot tell. What does piss me off is those who pull up to the doorway (and block the driveway).

Back when I lived in MD, a handicap parking violation was $250. I'm sure it is more now, 20 years later.

My wife, who is a retired LEO, refuses to use my HC placard on the few occasions we ride together in her truck, but she does procure us a good parking spot.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that they have the angled handicap parking and another larger spot for vans with the handicapped slide door and the ramp that extends out so that an electric scooter can be driven out and back in.

What makes me shake my head and wonder WTF is when I see a car, with handicapped tag and decal, parked in the one designed and made for the handicapped van, when there is a regular handicapped spot next to or very close by.

I've never said anything, but I just assume either they're really bad off or they just don't give a flip about another handicapped person who really needs that van spot.

I've seen a handicapped van cruise around the parking lot trying to get into what would be their appropriate parking spot, and I would be amused to hear them give the other an ear full of complaint.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I see a number of these where the car will have a handicap license plat or hanging tag, but the people who drive up and get out don’t seem to have any issues. Borrowing grandma’s car to go shopping?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
I see a number of these where the car will have a handicap license plat or hanging tag, but the people who drive up and get out don’t seem to have any issues. Borrowing grandma’s car to go shopping?
That's a tough call. It is not always possible to tell by looking at a person, whether s/he has a medical condition that justifies handicap parking.

On the other hand, there is a lot, really a lot, of abuse of the type that you mention.

My thought is that it should be a requirement to have a wheelchair symbol or something similar on a driver license. That way, the use of handicap parking places could be restricted to both a vehicle having a mirror hang tag or wheelchair license plate, and a driver with a license that indicates s/he meets the requirements. A cop observing what might be abuse of handicap parking could ask to see the person's driver license.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My ex-wife used to use her deceased husband's handicapped placard to park in handicapped places. I laughed when she got caught doing it when we were at the courthouse for child support.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
We don't have Walmart but we do have a Lowes. I regularly run the plates and handicap permits to make sure they match up. I find quite a few people using deceased relatives permits so they get the $250 citation. Third time I catch them, I tow them.
+1

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Handicap symbols are added to drivers license in Arkansas.

However, the only person who will get to see it is law enforcement. Some schmuck ever says I don't look handicapped to me is going to be told to call the cops, I'll wait.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Handicap symbols are added to drivers license in Arkansas.

However, the only person who will get to see it is law enforcement. Some schmuck ever says I don't look handicapped to me is going to be told to call the cops, I'll wait.
We have a member (he has not been active here for months) who has a prosthetic leg. I have a fuzzy recollection of him telling a story about spinning the leg 360 degrees when he was challenged, re a parking place.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
One thing I will never quite understand is handicap parking spots at the gym? Huh? People (handicapped or not) are going there to EXERCISE. Walking is a form of EXERCISE. Confused

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When when working in New Orleans one of the guys I worked with was both deaf and qualified for a handicap plate. He did not have one. I asked him why? He told me that a plate identifed you to crooks as easy prey, so he preferred not to wear a bullseye!
Interesting way to look at the issue. Of course N.O. has a reputation, as do other areas, but crime knows no bounds.

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
One thing I will never quite understand is handicap parking spots at the gym? Huh? People (handicapped or not) are going there to EXERCISE. Walking is a form of EXERCISE. Confused

Some gyms do outpatient physical therapy, my mom was sent to one after she was in a car accident.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
This is snipped from LVMPD's website. It's very effective & is usually comprised of elderly folks with handicapped plates. They write tickets for about $300.

snipped/
Handicap Parking Enforcement

The Handicap Parking Enforcement Program was created when Nevada Assembly Bill Seven was introduced in the 1997 Legislature by Assemblyman Mark Manendo. The bill, which became law on October 1, 1997, allows local law enforcement agencies to recruit, select, train, and deploy volunteers to write citations for vehicles illegally parked in spaces designated by law for the handicapped. The first Handicap Parking Enforcement Patrols started on April 15, 1998.

Volunteers attend a 4 hour class taught by Las Vegas City Parking Enforcement then they continue their training on the job. Volunteers always work in pairs and drive department vehicles. Volunteers write over 85% of the handicap parking citations issued in Clark County. These Handicap Parking Enforcement Patrols are assigned to an area command. This volunteer position allows for flexible hours 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. seven days a week.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
My ex-wife used to use her deceased husband's handicapped placard to park in handicapped places. I laughed when she got caught doing it when we were at the courthouse for child support.

Glad to see you made a full recovery.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

And I was amused when moving to AZ to hear the plates officially referred to as "wheelchair plates". By the MVD, LEO's, etc. Coming from the heavily PC state of MD, "wheelchair" would never fly there.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I wonder if the cops will issue tickets for handicapped parking abuse in a Walmart parking lot? Private property and all, but since handicapped parking is usually mandated by law, it may be worth giving them a call.

My girlfriend has to bring oxygen everywhere with her, and it's aggravating to see such abuse. Luckily, around here the abuse is infrequent.
I don't know how other states handle that problem but here in Mich. you pretty much have to convince the property owners to call the Police and complain. Do that and the police will respond right away and write any violations they see and it is not cheap. Raise hell with Walmart and they might file a complaint.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post