SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Abuse of handicap parking
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abuse of handicap parking Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Since we have the law and provision for handicap folks parking.

I have no issue with whatever disability the person has, they "own" those spaces.

But I have zero tolerance for anyone who misuses or abuses the system (not being handicapped).

The license endorsement is a very good idea.

Then we leave it up to LE and anyone who is handicapped to challenge those parking in those spots.

Other than that, it is not my place or business to enforce compliance or question anyone who may have a handicap that is not visible.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Since we have the law and provision for handicap folks parking.

I have no issue with whatever disability the person has, they "own" those spaces.

But I have zero tolerance for anyone who misuses or abuses the system (not being handicapped).

The license endorsement is a very good idea.

Then we leave it up to LE and anyone who is handicapped to challenge those parking in those spots.

Other than that, it is not my place or business to enforce compliance or question anyone who may have a handicap that is not visible.

I don't enforce or question anyone, I do tell them they forgot to hang their placard up. Their response tells me if they are a shitbag or not. Most of the time it's thanks for reminding me. If they ignore me then I know they are assholes.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I got one recently because I'm getting my left knee replaced very soon. I chose an 18 month permit so as not to abuse it. I only use it when my knee is absolutely killing me. Waiting for someone to call me out since I drive a stick and don't limp. They will be told to fuck off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I have never parked in a handicap spot, and never will.

But I do see the vast majority of them empty the vast majority of the time, and I think the estimated number of needed spots is way off most of the time and it's just wasted space, which - as compared to the folks who park there and shouldn't - is a much bigger issue.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Like kz1000, I have a 6 month temporary tag due to foot surgery. I keep my permit hanging on the mirror, but only use the reserved spot when I over do it and my foots hurts.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
One thing I will never quite understand is handicap parking spots at the gym? Huh? People (handicapped or not) are going there to EXERCISE. Walking is a form of EXERCISE. Confused
Let me 'splain. Between the reinforcing hardware in my thigh & hip, and the Guillain Barré that has taken its toll on my balance, it is not at all easy for me to walk safely in a situation where there is traffic. Parking lots are bad. It is better for me to minimize the exposure by parking near the entrance to the building.

Once inside, I can do a couple of miles safely, using a treadmill. There is no vehicular traffic to worry about, and the balance question is handled nicely by the fact that the treadmills have handholds. I can get my exercise safely this way.
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
And I was amused when moving to AZ to hear the plates officially referred to as "wheelchair plates". By the MVD, LEO's, etc. Coming from the heavily PC state of MD, "wheelchair" would never fly there.
I don't know whether that's an official term here in Florida, but I was at the DMV recently and that's the nomenclature that the clerk and I used.
quote:
Originally posted by chansen92:
I don't know how other states handle that problem but here in Mich. you pretty much have to convince the property owners to call the Police and complain.
Around here, any citizen can call. Abuse of these parking spaces is a violation of city ordnance. Just about all of them are on private property, but businesses are required by law to provide for handicap parking.
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I do see the vast majority of them empty the vast majority of the time, and I think the estimated number of needed spots is way off most of the time and it's just wasted space
Maybe in your neck of the woods, but around here these spaces are at a premium. Much of the time it they are all in use, none available.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Maybe in your neck of the woods, but around here these spaces are at a premium. Much of the time it they are all in use, none available.

Amen to that. I think the ADA has a formula for the number of spaces required per parking lot size. This may work to create empty spaces in some places, but in retirement communities, like V-Tail's or mine, the spaces are like gold (or bitcoin).

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I live I joke that everyone is handicap because most of the time every handicap spot is taken.

My Mother recently tripped on a curve and broke her ankle really bad, I've been coming by to her place almost daily to help her out. She is using a knee scooter when she has to go to a doctors appointment etc. since she fell 3 times using crutches. Seems the doctors hand out the placard like it's candy since my lazy ass Aunt bitched and moaned to get one that she doesn't even need.

Since my Mother can't walk and on the rare occasion I need to take her somewhere not having to wheel her across the entire parking lot makes it easier for her.

In my part of the woods the minimum fine for parking in a spot without a placard is $250.00 dollars. But if you are caught using someone else's placard or you using it without the person present the fine is over $1,200.0 dollars and it's confiscated.

But they don't tow the vehicle if it's on private property only the business can call for a tow. I know this because some A-hole's car broke down and he pulled in and parked his car sideways over the handicap spot and another regular one. I called non emergency and a officer came out and gave him a $250 ticket. When the guy came back pissed about being ticketed I told him to push it onto the street or my next call was going to be my tow guy and he can get it out of inpound.

Posts: 965 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, of course, I'm sure the needs are higher in some places, especially in and around retirement communities, and if the population is there, it's there, and they make perfect sense, and I've no problem with them at all.

But across my entire life (late 40s now), having lived in smaller towns and big cities all across America, on the whole... I'm absolutely certain I've never seen them more than half full, on average, in my life, maybe even no more so than 25-30%.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
What you get when the feel good community imposes a one size fits all formula. This is what they call an unfunded mandate. They cost you money so they can feel good. Back when I was a productive member of society we had a fairly large lot. And the correct formula would indicate we should have 5 handicapped spaces. But that created more problems than it solved. We only had 2 employees who could be considered to be handicapped. They both had plates or stickers and adamantly refused to use the spots. Hence, my conclusion was we needed none or one space. The local PD was nice but insistent we try.

One problem I had was both came to work early. They liked their jobs and wanted to be valued. They were. So it got to be more of a problem. I didn't have enough spaces, there was no on street parking for blocks. And it was being imposed on me that I give up 5 of the available places to be unused.

But I finally won the battle. The PD yielded and said 3 was enough. Then I got the one friendly cop to walk to where the 2 workers were and help me explain the issue. They didn't want to use the spaces because they'd been brainwashed into believing they should be reserved for those who needed them. Just like some of our posters here. The result was others who needed to park didn't have a spot because of their "feelings." In the end, I had to give up 3 spots and had 2 of them used. A major victory that should never have been necessary.

That remaining spot was often taken by visitors who weren't handicapped, but needed to park.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
And I was amused when moving to AZ to hear the plates officially referred to as "wheelchair plates". By the MVD, LEO's, etc. Coming from the heavily PC state of MD, "wheelchair" would never fly there.
I don't know whether that's an official term here in Florida, but I was at the DMV recently and that's the nomenclature that the clerk and I used.

AZ wheelchair plates take the format of 3 letters and 2 numbers, AAA99. When you go to the MVD website to look up your plate (to update your registration, for example), searching for AAA99 gets you nothing. It is in their database as WCAAA99.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing I will never quite understand is handicap parking spots at the gym? Huh? People (handicapped or not) are going there to EXERCISE. Walking is a form of EXERCISE. Confused

I've seen people at both my old and my new gym who struggle to get around. I mean really struggle. Some are there in recovery from injury or surgery, for rehabilitation.

Not to haul the thread off-topic: But what amuses me is to watch people drive around and around, looking for spots close to the door.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

I've seen people at both my old and my new gym who struggle to get around. I mean really struggle. Some are there in recovery from injury or surgery, for rehabilitation.

Not to haul the thread off-topic: But what amuses me is to watch people drive around and around, looking for spots close to the door.

I do that, but within reason because I have an SUV that has all of my work tools, parts, and equipment in the cargo area (folded down 3rd row). I have THOUSANDS of dollars in parts in there.......close to $1000 just in hose clamps and various electrical (heatshrink) connectors. You can look in the window and see tool boxes etc. I don't want my vehicle to be an easy target.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

Scooter Store plates might be more accurate.

Most of the people I've seen in handicapped spaces are grossly overweight. Watch what they buy when you're in the checkout line and you'll usually see why.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Most of the people I've seen in handicapped spaces are grossly overweight. Watch what they buy when you're in the checkout line and you'll usually see why.
Yup, and that's the reason that many need to use handicap parking.

I could afford to lose a few pounds, 6'3" and I don't need to be at 200 lbs. Something under 180 would be better. I'll get busy with that and hope to make some progress.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

I'll do that if it's cold weather. I don't mind walking at all, but I'm not willing to freeze between the car and the store.
----------------------------------

I had an elderly friend with a back injury who I used to drive places frequently, and she would carry her parking tag in her purse. You should have seen the dirty looks I got from people once when my friend sent me to run back to the car, in a handicap space, for something she had forgotten.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I had an elderly friend with a back injury who I used to drive places frequently, and she would carry her parking tag in her purse. You should have seen the dirty looks I got from people once when my friend sent me to run back to the car, in a handicap space, for something she had forgotten.
No good deed goes unpunished.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I remember going to the store with my Dad one day and even though he had a Handicap plate , he chose a regular parking spot . Dad was 85 , two artificial knees ,and a touch of Emphysema .
He said he would leave the Handicap spot for somebody that needed it . That's class .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Related but still a thread drift: I hate it when I have to use the toilet, but the ADA mandate is to mount the toilet paper dispenser so low I practically have to stand on my head to pull out the toilet paper.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had ADA compliant bathrooms at my last employer and the paper rolls were normal height .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post