SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bald-faced hornets. Update- not hornets, see post on page 2.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bald-faced hornets. Update- not hornets, see post on page 2. Login/Join 
posted
My God, those bastards hurt! Found them while I was using the bush hog today. Got tagged twice on my left hand and two or three times on the head. Those bastards chased the tractor 20 or 30 yards. I knocked off my sunglasses trying to fight them off. I will look for the sunglasses this winter...

And no, I will not kill them with fire. I am not going close to those bastards again. Maybe nuke them from orbit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Herkdriver,

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I had a series of skirmishes with them few years back. What worked was..

Wait till after sunset, squirt lamp oil on outside, and have long stick or pole saw with flame to light. Stay back 40 yards and enjoy the payback.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too dry for fire right now, don't need to burn up half the pasture. I will have to wait till after a rain.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those things are pure evil.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I had a nest on the side of my house at the roof line.
I shot them with hornet spray from an open window.
It took 3 applications to get them all!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got tagged by the little bastards too. I'm redoing our deck and never noticed the nest under the railing as it was behind the smoker. Once I started hitting the railing to remove it they made their presence known.

Got me 4 or 5 times on the back of my hand right through my glove. Swelled my hand all up.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

Got me 4 or 5 times on the back of my hand right through my glove. Swelled my hand all up.

I can barely see the knuckles on my left hand this AM. I am going to drive the area this morning (in my truck, with the windows up) to see if I can locate the nest. I need to get rid of it before the calves start dropping in about 6 weeks. If a day old calf hit that nest they would kill it.

posted Hide Post
The BFH nests I've encountered have been about the size of a volleyball and 15-20 feet up a tree.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

I can barely see the knuckles on my left hand this AM. I am going to drive the area this morning (in my truck, with the windows up) to see if I can locate the nest. I need to get rid of it before the calves start dropping in about 6 weeks. If a day old calf hit that nest they would kill it.

I'm about the same, and surprised by it. It was going down last night, but puffed up like a marshmallow again.

I think my reaction to the buggers has gotten worse as I've gotten older. Last time I got stung on the knee, and my lymph nodes in my groin swelled up Eek That one had me panicking a little.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
please be careful,

one of my neighbors is being buried today,

he was swarmed by bees (do not know what type yet) while doing yard work and died last weekend,

I do not know if he was allergic, or at 74 had a heart attack or something else

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Bald Faced hornets are the worst combination of aggression, agility, and ferocity.

Yellow jackets kind of work their way to you with a side to side flight pattern, and Europeans are so slow and clumsy you can slap them out of the air.

But Bald Faced hornets come at you like they've been fired from a gun. There is no warning, or pussyfooting around. When they're really pissed, you can feel a tangible impact before the sting.

I don't mind them out in the wild, but whenever they manifest themselves around possible contact with people, they get destroyed with extreme prejudice.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Hornets or wasps (hornets are actually a type of wasp) of any kind, anywhere on a structure or w/in the landscaped portions of the yard are eliminated, with extreme prejudice, at the earliest opportunity.

I believe they have a place in nature. That place is nowhere near my wife and I, however.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Chlorinated brake cleaner. Instant FU to wasps! Much better than poison sprays and 2nd only to actual fire (which can also be applied as a followup once nest is soaked in said brake cleaner)!

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
Chlorinated brake cleaner. Instant FU to wasps! Much better than poison sprays and 2nd only to actual fire (which can also be applied as a followup once nest is soaked in said brake cleaner)!

Will the brake cleaner stain or mess up house paint or brick surfaces?

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Chlorinated Brake Cleaner will not stain anything inside or outside your house. It evaporates completely and leaves no residual evidence behind.
It knocks bees/wasps/hornets right out of the sky.
It soaks into the nests and even kills the larva.
I prefer the red can CRC brand.
I buy case quantity when the local NAPA store has it on sale.
It works well for firearms cleaning also.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
Chlorinated Brake Cleaner will not stain anything inside or outside your house. It evaporates completely and leaves no residual evidence behind.
It knocks bees/wasps/hornets right out of the sky.
It soaks into the nests and even kills the larva.
I prefer the red can CRC brand.
I buy case quantity when the local NAPA store has it on sale.
It works well for firearms cleaning also.

You can carry some in your car to deter Antifa from boarding.

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have yet to see a hornet of any kind here in AZ. But we have bees. According to the AZ agricultural folks, as early as 2003, all feral bees in AZ are the Africanized variety. Beekeepers love them because they are more productive. They don't bother you when they are feeding on nectar or swarming. I can mow the grass under my trees that are full of flowers and bees, and no problem. But don't get near their hive. They swarm ferociously and have killed dogs and severely injured people with thousands of stings.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chlorinated Brake Cleaner will not stain anything inside or outside your house. It evaporates completely and leaves no residual evidence behind . . . It works well for firearms cleaning also.
I have been advised to use non-chlorinated brake cleaner for cleaning firearms. Have I been misinformed?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Chlorinated Brake Cleaner is fine on metal guns.
It seems to evaporate faster and it certainly cleans better.
I use the Green Can CRC non-chlorinated brake cleaner for my polymer firearms.
So your question: It depends on what firearms you are cleaning. Metal or plastic...

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chlorinated Brake Cleaner is fine on metal guns.
It seems to evaporate faster and it certainly cleans better.
I use the Green Can CRC non-chlorinated brake cleaner for my polymer firearms.
So your question: It depends on what firearms you are cleaning. Metal or plastic...
So, the way I read this, non-chlorinated is safe for any type. ¿Si?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post