SIGforum
Sinus infections suck! Update. Surgery yesterday.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/8020030944

October 31, 2018, 05:36 PM
357fuzz
Sinus infections suck! Update. Surgery yesterday.
I have one now and my “raccoon eyes” are full of industrial waste snot along with the pounding pressure headache!!!

Trying a new antibiotic from the doctor. Amoxicillin/Augmentin use after 3-4 days gives me leg cramps/sore knees and ankles like you wouldn’t believe. Evidentially thst is a side effect.

Hopefully this stuff works.

Update.

The Neilmed rinse does work but, it is temporary. I have met with my ENT a couple times over the last two years putting off surgery but, I bucked it up and did it. He told my wife he had to do a lot of work in there and asked if I ever broken my nose. I could have.. fist fights as a kid, footballs, basketballs, a dodgeballs in the face.. who knows. I had septoplasty, endoscopic surgery, and adenoidectocomy.

Pain not so bad it is the plugged up nose and not being able to blow it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 357fuzz,
October 31, 2018, 10:06 PM
Bassamatic
I know your pain. I had sinus infections so bad it would have knocked a buzzard off a gut wagon back in the mid 90's. Oh, that is not a new drug. Amoxicillin and Augmenten is what was prescribed for me 25 years ago. It did not help.

Eventually I had to have deviated septum surgery on both nostrils. It worked very well and I haven't had sinus headaches since.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
October 31, 2018, 10:30 PM
357fuzz
I may have to do the sinus check out with throat, nose, and ear guy soon. I meant to say my Dr. prescribed me a new drug not the same ‘ole amoxicillin thing.
November 01, 2018, 12:28 AM
R K9 J
Some years ago, I went to the doctor and he told me I had a sinus infection. A few days later, I went to another doctor and straight to hospital ... was not my sinuses but meningitis.
November 01, 2018, 01:51 AM
KMitch200
Amoxicillin just doesn't work on me at all.
Z-packs on the other hand kicks my sinus infections ass right out the door in no time.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.
November 01, 2018, 06:51 AM
Bassamatic
I put it off and suffered around six months as I recall and then went to the ENT.

He put me in his special chair and ran some kind of tube up my nose (he did spray in some Novocain or something) and looked around. When he was done he told me that I was definately a candidate for surgery. He said my nose was broken so flat that drainage was pretty much impossible. I looked at him and said that I had never broken my nose and was pretty sure I would have been aware of something like that. He said most of the time it happens at birth. I replied...no shit?

Anyways, I scheduled the surgery right then and it was really a no big deal thing. If you get to that point post back here and I will tell you that whole story. It's pretty entertaining. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
November 01, 2018, 10:47 AM
TMats
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Amoxicillin just doesn't work on me at all.
Z-packs on the other hand kicks my sinus infections ass right out the door in no time.

Second (or is it 3rd) this strongly. Amoxicillin is what is prescribed to 2nd graders with tonsillitis. Unfortunately, I seem to get a sinus infection almost every January. An antibiotic that works for me is Leviquin.

I did buy a neti pot to flush my nasal passages BEFORE it goes to a full-blown infection. Just a kit from Walmart that includes a plastic pot and 50 envelopes of the saline solution—add distilled water. I think it helps

November 01, 2018, 01:34 PM
Gustofer
One word. Levaquin. Done deal.

November 01, 2018, 03:32 PM
Ox190
Neti pot.

I would get terrible sinus infections and about 15 years ago my doctor told me to start using a neti pot as soon as I started feeling any drainage. I haven't had one since. Highly recommend it.
November 01, 2018, 06:50 PM
bryan11
My ENT gave me and article from Mayo clinic saying 70% of sinus infections are fungal or viral. Antibiotics for me kept coming back. I started using a powered version of the Neti pot called Sinupulse with the stuff recommended by my ENT. That gets rid of an infection better than drugs so far.
November 02, 2018, 08:50 AM
dewhorse
The whole family gets sinus infections and it was our pediatrician that suggested the saline spray. If you start using it when you feel one coming on you can normally kick it in a day or two.

When I was a kid I had them really bad....cloth diapers were a godsend....so soft. I still keep them around for that purpose.
November 03, 2018, 12:08 PM
cparktd
I used to have severe allergies and a subsequent ear, sinus, throat or bronchitis infections once or twice a year... from childhood, for decades.

Then I started daily Flonase. It has been a life changing thing for me. I go years between EENT problems now.

Well actually it was a different brand I started with that was discontinued. For several years it was prescription only. Now I use Flonase OTC.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.
November 03, 2018, 12:21 PM
bendable
I found a great hand sanitizer , made in florida, and use neil med weekly.

no infections in three years

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
November 03, 2018, 01:23 PM
Seotaji
I grew up with nasal issues.

I use a sinus rinse regularly and rarely experience issues with stuffiness or colds.

Has your doc recommended a neti pot or anything similar (though I do realize that surgery might be the best course of action in some cases).
November 03, 2018, 03:27 PM
Scooter123
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
I have one now and my “raccoon eyes” are full of industrial waste snot along with the pounding pressure headache!!!

Trying a new antibiotic from the doctor. Amoxicillin/Augmentin use after 3-4 days gives me leg cramps/sore knees and ankles like you wouldn’t believe. Evidentially thst is a side effect.

Hopefully this stuff works.

Compression Socks are your friends here, they really help keep fluids moving in the legs and cut down on swelling in the feet and ankles.

BTW, learned about them after Open Heart Surgery and the swelling in my feet got to the point where it was painful. The first pair of compression socks were tight enough it took two nurses to get them on but after 3 days I went to a lower level of compression that allowed my to put them on and take them off by myself. You can find them at Dicks Sporting Goods and some Runners stores. I will also warn you that you'll be shocked at what they cost. However they really are worth every penny in what they do for you.

BTW, next Tuesday will mark 4 weeks after my surgery and I will probably get permission to stop wearing them. Because I haven't had any hint of swelling for over a week. However as I have learned from experience they are a lot more comfortable to wear than it is to suffer from feet and toes that look like sausage. So I will be keeping my compression socks in the event I ever need them in the future.

PS; don't put on regular socks over the compression socks or your feet will get hot enough to start sweating, which is VERY uncomfortable. I will also suggest two pair so you can change and hand wash them daily. It will keep them from getting funky and make it easier to put them on and take off.

I've stopped counting.
November 03, 2018, 05:22 PM
Steve 22X
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
Neti pot.

I would get terrible sinus infections and about 15 years ago my doctor told me to start using a neti pot as soon as I started feeling any drainage. I haven't had one since. Highly recommend it.

Agree 100%.
Also used to get sinus infections until I started using the Neti Pot (actually the squeeze bottle type) about 10~12 years ago.
Haven't had an infection since but allergies will act up on occasion if I forget to periodically 'flush' my sinuses.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward
November 03, 2018, 10:59 PM
wcb6092
This with a netti pot works for me.

November 04, 2018, 07:13 AM
Eponym
I use a NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit. It clears/cleans my sinuses well but sometimes makes them dry.

I will try adding some Alkalol, for the menthol and other essential oils. (That's a past thread. Smile )
November 04, 2018, 07:31 AM
Mboroman
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
I will try adding some Alkalol, for the menthol and other essential oils. (That's a past thread. Smile )

If you have never used the Alkalol before, start by erring on the conservative side. The stuff works but if you put too much in, it will burn - A LOT.

Also, another alternative for folks with an infection (or feel one is about to happen) is adding Betadine (povodone iodine) to the saline rinse. This helps kill bacteria in the sinuses and can rid you of an infection without resorting to antibiotics all the time. I have had surgeries and my ENT told me to do a saline rinse every day for the rest of my life inorder to not require further surgery. Even with the surgeries, I am still prone to infections if I get a cold. When one hits me, I start rinsing with the iodine twice a day for as long as the cold seems to last, usually about 5-7 days. At the end, I will go back to once a day with the Alkalol for a few days to make sure everything is cleaned out. Then it's back to just saline once a day.
November 04, 2018, 07:53 AM
mark123
I've found that simply letting the neti pot work by gravity does not work as well as actively snorting the liquid. Of course, this can also leave some fluid in your nasal cavity that can come out later when you bend over.